News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's TARDIS

Started by russellsuthern, Jun 15, 2014, 09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 09, 2018, 10:51 am
Cheers!

Btw:  How's your own Hudolin TARDIS build going?

Hope everything is going well :)

Its shelved for now as my circumstances aren't allowing me to store and work on it, same state its always been; almost half done.

Been meaning to pop down south and check your box out at some point! :D
Regards
David

russellsuthern

Yeah, storage is a big issue when it comes to the larger props, isn't it?
It's the one thing keeping me from starting a console build...

It would be great if you could get down. Any time- I'd be honoured to show you my humble TARDIS. :)

Best regards,

Russell

thewhovian228

Feb 07, 2019, 09:06 am #257 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2019, 09:06 am by thewhovian228
Weirdly enough your TARDIS design is essentially the exact same as my TARDIS exterior design
Mcgann box
Met box Windows (the blue section on my design is black, similar to the Capaldi TARDIS)
St. John badge
And 2010-2017 pull to open sign

I love it.    ;D

russellsuthern

Awww   Shucks!!

Thanks for your kind comments.
I think It's great that we can mess about with our builds to create the best version for us, using a mix of different elements.

I love seeing everybody's different interpretations here on TB!

Best regards.

Russell

thewhovian228

Feb 08, 2019, 11:45 am #259 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2019, 11:45 am by thewhovian228
You are very much welcome...

Here's a pic of my design (I made her using only Microsoft PowerPoint ;D)

image.jpeg

rob

Hi Russell, can I ask how you attached the phone box to the inside of your TARDIS?

russellsuthern

Hey Rob,

Very simply I used 4 L-shaped brackets, 2 om the top & 2 on the bottom.
Once screwed into place, I ran a bead of acrylic round the seam to strengthen & waterproof it.
Hope that helps.

Russell

rob

Thanks Russell  :)

russellsuthern

May 28, 2021, 08:01 am #263 Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:20 am by russellsuthern
Hi all.
Hope you are well.

Due to the ongoing situation, I was unable to do any maintenance work on my TARDIS last summer.

Being aware that these outside builds need constant work to keep them in good nick, I was a bit worried about what condition it would end up in, after being left "fallow" for a whole year...

Now I'm able to get to the hall a bit more, I decided now was the time to give her a proper overhaul.

A close inspection revealed she was in much better shape than I had anticipated.

There were a few areas where the paint had peeled, a few minor cracks, especially around the windows, & a few patches where the wood had softened due to water exposure., but she's structurally solid &, most importantly- no leaks!  Yayy!

So I started by brushing off any loose dirt & paint with a stiff wire brush.

Then I filled any cracks with flexible gutter sealant.

Next I gave the windows a thick coat of yacht varnish inside & out, which will hopefully keep that area waterproofed.

Finally, I got a tin of butuminous roof seal paint.
I swear by this stuff. It's really thick like tar, but paints on pretty easily & I think it really helps to keep the water out.

Although it's called roof seal, I also give the base a thick coat, too.
Everyone worries about the roof deteriorating, but people often forget that in many cases it's the base that goes first, & the rot travels upwards, so top & bottom given a good thick coat, but then I bring the paint up & down, giving the whole TARDIS a rough coat of the stuff.

This helps to protect it & also, because it's so thick & grainy, it gives a lovely texture.

So, now I have a black TARDIS!

ta1.jpg

ta2.jpg

ta3.jpg

Next I need to apply the overcoat of exterior Oxford blue gloss, then paint the windows white, then tackle the inside.

I'm determined to keep up with the maintenance, as I really want her to last as long as possible.

I hope this update was interesting.

People often log a build diary, then we don't hear from them again.

Personally, I love to get an update of how peoples' TARDISes are doing.
I don't know about you guys, but I do get quite invested in people's builds.
I love getting an update on a previously completed build- It's like catching up with an old friend...

The build is interesting, but I think It's just as interesting to get the low down on what people do to look after their boxes & keep them in good condition.

With outdoor boxes, building the thing is only half the battle!
I love getting tips & info on what methods people use to protect their boxes from the elements.

Anyhow, it was great to be back working on my TARDIS again.

(At the very least it was an opportunity to remind everyone that I'm a "proper" TARDIS builder, too!
I don't just do silly costumes, you know!  ;)    ;D   )

I'll post some pics of the end result once she's done.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Russell

redfern

I recall "MythBusters" once tested the virtues of sprayable "truck bed liner".  That stuff is pretty "hardcore".  the "Build Team" (Kari, Tory and the "sadly" late Grant) put it to some rather weird tests, like making a "dog proof" suit (it resisted the guard dog's crushing bite); they coated a cinder block wall (which then did NOT crumble from a close "C4" based explosion); and I forget what else.

Reading these accounts of "Logopolis syndrome" (read: rotting), I've occasional wondered how a TARDIS prop might fare with a solid coating of the stuff.  The caveats: it creates a "granular" texture, somewhat like that of a cinder block; I don't know if it comes in any color other than fire engine red.  At least, that's what was shown on the MB episode.  One would have to apply a heavy primer to hide the red and then the desired shade of blue.  I wouldn't be surprised if the layers of "stuff" atop the bare wood added to an eighth of an inch!

Volpone

May 28, 2021, 02:30 pm #265 Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:23 pm by Volpone
Kudos on posting the update pictures.  My repair work is largely complete--but no photos here because I'm too lazy to monkey with resizing them.  :(

Oh, and one word of caution regarding the black tar stuff:  I've used it rather extensively on my roof and as I was cleaning everything up on the refit I noticed it had separated from the wood on one of the vertical roof "steps".  I pulled and it came off the entire 2x4 easily in one chunk to reveal a soggy board that was fairly rotted on one corner.  While the stuff is designed to keep water out, water, uh, finds a way.  And then it does a very good job of keeping water *in*.  So in subsequent inspections, anyplace the stuff is coated heavily--especially near corners and crannies, poke it.  If it is soft/spongy, water has probably gotten under it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Re: the roof seal, maybe it depends on the type you use?

The first type I used was a rubber roof sealer & that gave me exactly the same problem you just described, water got under the rubber, worked it's way in, & the result was that a whole strip of paint came peeling off the roof like stripping wallpaper!
So I switched to a bitumen based formula & I haven't had any problems with it at all & I have used it 3 times now.

Water does always win in the end, but I am going to fight to the last!!!

Cheers,

Russ

kutan66

Terrible news here guys.  My box has a seriously bad case of accumulated dust!

Volpone

May 29, 2021, 05:09 am #268 Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:20 am by Volpone
Now I am intrigued by the "bitumen" you speak of. I shall have to do further research. 

[edit] OK.  I tried new keywords and if you'll indulge (and I will delete if this is a derailment) as I understand it, bitumen is basically asphalt--the standard shingle/roll roof ingredient.  But if I look for "bitumen roof sealant" I wind up in an Abbott & Costello "Who's on First?" routine.  Because the traditional roof shingle is made of asphalt, instead of finding sealants *containing* bitumen, I find sealants *for* bitumen roofs.  "Your bitumen roof is leaking?  Here's some rubber (or silicone) paint you can slop on it."  "What's the name of the first baseman?"  "Who." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Glad its holding up Russ. I've been waiting for the good weather before I have a bash at my annual maintenance.

I've next week off work, so fingers crossed my annual spruce up is top of my list of jobs