Apr 20, 2024, 12:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 13 console

Started by silverfox, Jun 01, 2014, 08:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfox

I always have several builds on the go at once as I like to flit between projects.
As I'm already in the final stages of making the control room from the Time Monster (which I can adapt to a season 13 version) I thought I'd make a console to go in it.

here's where I am up to on my first panel so far. There are a few more switches and buttons to add yet.

A couple of observations:
From studying screen grabs of later stories which use some of the same components I've realised that the square slider controls need adjusting. They are supposed to be like an extruded capital letter T in profile so I'll make some new ones.

The door handle controls are also not as rounded (I just used one of the controls from my Hartnell build here) so those are also going to be replaced.

some of the black switches that are yet to be added look like strips of wooden edge beading cut into small lengths.
I'll post screen grabs along with my future updates if people want to pitch in with observations or ideas

control2_zpsd29f36d4.jpg

control1_zps6539145d.jpg

silverfox

All switches complete on this panel now
I may model the other panels before I start on the texturing

control3_zpsf97857d0.jpg

silverfox

the panels are now nearly all complete.
Just a last few bits and pieces to add and then I can start on the texturing...

pyramids4_zps75f5c193.jpg

pyramids3_zps7941fb0c.jpg

pyramids2_zpsb17eb2c3.jpg

silverfox

made a start on the texturing so that I could do a few test renders to see what needs adjusting...

console_season13panela_txture_zps1dcbaa40.png

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2014, 02:49 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2014, 02:50 am by galacticprobe
Ah... this is that panel I was referring to in the other thread: those black "rocker-type" switches for the binary coordinate inputs, and the red area below them for the 7-segment display to show the "decoded" numbers. (Though from counting the switches on the above panel, one would need to add a few more of the black "rocker" switches to get enough for the full Gallifrey coordinates to display as:

01|00 00|00 01|01 00|00 00|00 x 00|00 00|02 - (or)
 10      0       11      0       0    x     0      2

...which would give you some really great coordinate options to display, when you consider that you'd be using 28 7-segment displays to show the decoded coordinates. (And it also shows that this coordinate programmer can be expensive, :P, though it might be able to get you to the planet Kastria given the coordinates the Doctor rattled off in "The Hand of Fear".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

You might be headed this direction already for building this particular part, but in case you missed it, it is not tapered in the top view (common misconception). There is only a taper in profile. The end is rounded in the top view, and there is a dot on the handle. It appears to be black in S13 but red in all other appearances where the dot hasn't peeled off.

The diagram uses reference photos from later seasons, but it gives you a general idea. The profile dims are only approximate, though I'm sure the base diameter is 1.75 inches. The grid is 1/2 inch.

profile.jpg

silverfox

Thanks for the handle reference Lespaceplie. It gave me the boost to make mine more accurate as I'd kind of decided that the ones I had "would do."

I'm just putting the final tweaks to the panels now so I'll post them up soon for a final appraisal before committing everything.
In the meantime here are some observations:

Quite a few of the switches on the season 13 (and later) console appear to be dummy switches with no actual movement.
They look like they've been cut from a long strip of wooden edging strip or beading and then painted. There appear to be 2 distinct shapes.

blackswitch2_zpse12d2a37.jpg

The first have a right angle shape with a curve on the opposing side.
This shape also looks to have been used as the slope at the front of the aluminium-topped oblong boxes at the top of each panel.

Here's a picture showing what I believe to be clean wood showing underneath the paint on a broken switch
(It's from Invasion in Time but I'm sure this was just carried over from the original season 13 version)

invasionoftime_switches_zps011ded1d.jpg

Then there are the controls that look like rocker switches or faders on a mixing desk.
They were all black on the season 13 version but a few were painted different colours on later versions.
Here's a picture from the Ribos Operation showing a long row of the switches, a few of which are painted different colours.

ribosoperation_switches_zpscea36651.jpg

I've found no shots of them that makes me think anything other than they are static and non-functional
Here's a illustration of what I think their profile is:

season13_faderswitch_zps94f887e2.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 25, 2014, 06:28 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
I think you're right about that long strip of "switches" on that panel. (And I think we've had a small discussion about that particular strip before... and of course I can't find it to link a reference to it, but we'd come up with the same consensus: a strip of moulding cut into sections so they looked like switches.)

Still, you have to admit that if one wanted to, that strip could be made of rocker switches, wired to the Binary to 7-segment Display chip, and the chips' outputs sent to a row of 7-segment displays just below. It would be fun to click those switches and watch those 7-segment displays change numbers as you 'programmed in' your coordinates.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

silverfox

Jun 29, 2014, 07:02 pm #8 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 07:05 pm by silverfox
couple of quick renders to show the start of the panel placement
(note, this is the Pyramids of Mars layout. Planet of Evil had the panels arranged in a different order)

pyramidsconsole_002_zps75e599ec.png

pyramidsconsole_004_zps32a5b516.png

I haven't refined the textures yet and the lighting should be improved when I do final renders of the finished console

cobalt

Jun 29, 2014, 11:35 pm #9 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 11:35 pm by cobalt
Quote from: silverfox on Jun 25, 2014, 05:21 am
I've found no shots of them that makes me think anything other than they are static and non-functional
Here's a illustration of what I think their profile is:
season13_faderswitch_zps94f887e2.jpg

I believe those are all made from simple cove molding:

L-shaped version example:
http://www.stair-treads.com/red-oak-gunstock-cove-moulding-48.html

U-shaped version example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Wood-Moulding-WM85-9-16-in-x-1-3-4-in-x-96-in-Wood-Pine-Cove-Moulding-85-8/203910954?N=5yc1vZara1Z1z135ps

omarvance

You have that model looking great!  On the panel that would later become the door control lever in the Davison console, any clue what size those sections are?  I'm guessing the lever box is 3" wide roughly.  Trying to make my own and so far I haven't quite gotten it right.  I'm mostly interested in the mid section with the 9 lights running across it.

galacticprobe

Jun 30, 2014, 05:33 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 30, 2014, 05:34 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: silverfox on Jun 29, 2014, 07:02 pm
couple of quick renders to show the start of the panel placement
(note, this is the Pyramids of Mars layout. Planet of Evil had the panels arranged in a different order)

Those panels moved round that console almost as much as the Doctor did! Just check out the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2489.0 thread in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=26.0 section!

Dino.

silverfox

Just having a play with the lighting (hey, I've spent dozens of hours building it - I'm allowed to play with it :) )

001_zps8f8e3ff0.jpg

pyramids_combo_zps40a686d3.jpg

Omarvance - sorry I don't actually have any measurements I'm afraid. The placement and size of the controls is mostly guesswork and figuring stuff out from screen grabs until it looks right to my eye.
I can post a top-down view of the panel if you like? because the dimensions of the top and base of the panel are already known you should be able to work out the other measurements from there.

Rassilons Rod

The lighting is awesome! Can't wait till you put a few walls around it. :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 01, 2014, 05:35 am #14 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2014, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
A bit off topic, (and I'll probably get this wrong since it's been 39 years now) but...

Marc, ihr neu avatar schrecken die Hölle aus mir!

Dino.