Apr 26, 2024, 05:16 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Interior backdrop

Started by Sofia Fox, Oct 27, 2017, 06:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofia Fox

I noticed when getting reference images for the interior in episode 1 that the exterior had a white back drop in it. I only see this in The Chase Episode 1. Explanation?

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 2.30.45 PM.png

Cheers, TigerMan
Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

the_doctor

Or no back at all?

Sofia Fox

Only the Newbery prop had no back. If the back doors are open then the white space would be grey space.
Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

fivefingeredstyre

Nah, I've always put it down to the back doors being open...

galacticprobe

Oct 27, 2017, 11:15 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2017, 11:15 pm by galacticprobe
One thing to keep in mind is that with an image as small as the one posted, it's extremely difficult to get a good look at the TARDIS and that light interior. So it's definitely not easy to say what it is: the back doors open; a white sheet hanging over the back and diffusing the studio lights making things look brighter (and not grey like the rest of the surrounding set), etc. A larger, more detailed image might help answer that question of "What is it?", if anyone has a larger image.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Sorry - forgive me - but we discussed this a while ago: If memory serves, we concluded that (as Steve/Fivefingeredstyre suggests) that the back doors were indeed open but that (in order to suggest light coming from the ship's interior) a sheet had been hung in the opening and a simple'floor-standing' light had been used to illuminate this sheet from behind the box.

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 28, 2017, 12:12 am
.... we concluded that .... a sheet had been hung in the opening and a simple'floor-standing' light had been used to illuminate this sheet from behind the box.

An early precursor to the backlit translight of the new series!
I wonder why they didn't do that more often? It gives a much better illusion of the (brightly lit) console room inside than seeing the back wall.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

kert gantry

I agree about the back doors being open with a white sheet for The Chase. There's that junkyard set photo from Unearthly Child (broadcast version) with both police box doors open showing the interior was indeed white to begin with. Possibly already painted black by The Firemaker, definitely black in Roof Of The World, where we see in through the open left door. In The Rescue we have the lovely shiny Mirrorlon box interior!

Rassilons Rod

There are many examples where you can see the edge of the adjacent door still being white too.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 28, 2017, 08:10 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2017, 08:10 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 28, 2017, 12:12 am
Sorry - forgive me - but we discussed this a while ago:...

Sorry about that, Tony. I must have missed that discussion... that, or my aging, medicated brain forgot about it. :P

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"