Apr 16, 2024, 08:43 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The St John Ambulance sign

Started by questwalnut, Jul 05, 2017, 07:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

questwalnut

Jul 05, 2017, 07:04 am Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 07:05 am by questwalnut19307
Looking at the reference pics we have for the original st john ambulance signs, I found that it didn't have any text. But then I looked in The Tardis handbook, and the full colour picture that they had showed text on the st john ambulance sign. I then googled it, but the B&W pics aren't good for looking too closely. I did find a CO brachaki tardis, which had text on the sign.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.firstdoctortardis.jpg1st-john.JPG
Never wear black with colour; it makes the colour look cheap and the black look boring.

Rassilons Rod

In the first episode, when Barbara forces her way into the TARDIS, you get a decent look at it. No text, no animals.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2017, 07:39 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 07:45 am by galacticprobe
Hey, quest (or do you prefer walnut?) Rassilonsrod is right. I think the Table in this topic should expand on his reply to your question: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6014.0. But in short, the original St. John Ambulance logo on the Brachacki TARDIS prop (prior to her refurb during "The War Machines") was always a plain logo with no black outer border, no animals, and no wording. All it ever had was the white disc, a thin inner black circle, and a black center disc with the four arrowheads in it. And while it was "grunged" up more or less, it was just plain from the Pilot through to "The War Machines" when the TARDIS got a refurb and the doors got a good going over.

The TARDIS Handbook is a great reference (I love my copy), but they didn't get everything right. The logo is one of those things. The logo with the wording and animals on it is a generic version that you can find anywhere using a Google Image search. (It's not even the correct logo for the Series 5 or 6 Matt Smith TARDIS!) Character Options, when they released the 1st Doctor and his TARDIS, also used that generic logo rather than the actual logo used on the screen-used prop.

So have a read through the Table in the link above. It details the progression of the St. John logo from its early days on real Police Boxes, to the 'Doctor Who' series (Hartnell years), the Peter Cushing films, and the Matt Smith/Peter Capaldi versions. It should answer all of your questions. There's also a lengthy discussion thread on the logo here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=806.0.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

questwalnut

Jul 06, 2017, 03:00 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2017, 03:00 pm by questwalnut19307
Thanks, Galacticprobe and Rassilonsrod, this will help me in my virtual build (coming soon). You can call me Quest if you want, I really don't mind. :)
Never wear black with colour; it makes the colour look cheap and the black look boring.