Apr 20, 2024, 07:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

dustyfro's TARDIS

Started by dustyfro, Apr 27, 2009, 05:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Jun 29, 2009, 02:20 am #45 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:30 pm by mordrogyn
How about black for the inside of the box where your remotes are going? It was black in Logopolis. I agree the inside of it should be a different colour than the rest. Awesome job, btw!!!

Rassilons Rod

Jun 29, 2009, 05:56 am #46 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:30 pm by mordrogyn
Woooo! Almost there :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

atomicgraph

Jun 29, 2009, 10:05 pm #47 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:30 pm by mordrogyn
ahhh that looks great and very functional. good job, i can't wait to see it all together.

avadh

Jun 29, 2009, 11:35 pm #48 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:31 pm by mordrogyn
Great work Hannah and looking forward to seeing it all completed.

Doctor Iz

Jul 10, 2009, 03:26 am #49 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:31 pm by mordrogyn
Hannah,

Your build is looking lovely.  I particularly like the phone panel door.   I must consider re-doing my door panel to something like yours.  Very nice!

cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Rassilons Rod

Jul 10, 2009, 01:56 pm #50 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:32 pm by mordrogyn
FWIW, I would vote for black also.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

dustyfro

Jul 26, 2009, 05:47 pm #51 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:33 pm by mordrogyn
Ladies and gentlemen, the end is in sight.  Construction is finished except for adding some hardware and hooking up the lamp.  I've just got to put a coat of blue on each side and then the wash on the outside.  Oh, it feels so good!
Here's the roof with the second coat of paint.  with this lighting, you can see where the filler didn't quite do the job I was looking for, but people my height won't even be able to see it ;)
2coatroof.jpg

Lamp stuff primed and painted.  I'm still not sure how this is going to work out, since I want to make it temporary until I get a lantern.  I think the inch tall step at the bottom might have to wait.
lampstuff.jpg

Getting the sign in the frame is definitely an "ohhhhh yeah!" moment!
sign.jpg

Here's most of what I did on Saturday.  I made the window frames out of 1x4s that were ripped down the middle.  I made the outer frames first, then got worried that I wouldn't  be able to fit them in the holes if I put the crosspieces in first, so I put them in the windows and pieced them together there.  I really recommend this because I had to do a lot of precise measuring and slicing 1/32s" off of the ends of pieces to get them in.  I used superglue to put them together.
windows002.jpg
Temporary NNST
windows004.jpg
Reversed
windows006.jpg
Finished
windows005.jpg
Close-up
windows007.jpg

Problem solving: This crack (on the corner of the window) was really freaking me out, and I needed something that would block the light coming out from under the signs, so I put a bracing piece and screwed it in from the top to hold it stable and together
windows003.jpg
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

Jul 27, 2009, 09:26 pm #52 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:33 pm by mordrogyn
So close! Looking forward to seeing it assembled!

Crispin

dustyfro

Aug 04, 2009, 05:50 am #53 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:34 pm by mordrogyn
Mm, my plans for a SUPER DUPER PAINT DAY got derailed.  My cousin was moving to town, so first I was going to help her move (which didn't happen) and then her parents and sister and niece and my parents all converged on my granparents' house...so nothing really got done this weekend except that I painted the backs of the doors white.  They look really good.  If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change that I used grey primer, because it makes the white look kind of rough like it does in the show.

I had a mishap with the glaze paint too.  The color that I got was way too purple.  I diluted it with water and it went on nice, so I think I'll do it that way with the new color.  The woman at the hardware store told me that since I had them mix up the color of another paint brand, she didn't want to mess with it, so I couldn't get it a shade darker.  I'll have to mix and match on my own, I guess.  Here's my test piece (left to right:Midnight Dream 1:1 diluted, Midnight Dream 1:2 diluted; Midnight Dream plus some of the base color (which dulled the sheen and I didn't like it); same, but with the brush less loaded; Planetarium sample, not high gloss like I got in the end.
painttest001.jpg
painttest002.jpg
x Hannah

magepro

Aug 05, 2009, 03:21 am #54 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:34 pm by mordrogyn
Hanna,
I have to say your whole design is wonderful! The descriptions you have put in your posts about the problems or questions have done nothing but help me in my build. My build is not a full TARDIS, but only half. It is full sized though.

Your roof is astounding! I hope ours looks half as neat! If a lowly one as I could Exalt you as much as I want to, I would!

Our base still needs some tweeking, primed and painted. Our walls are almost done including the windows, phone door sign, lock and handles. I'm building the lamp structure tomorrow and putting the electronics in a transportable case.

We are still in the design stage of the roof. We haven't even started on the roof and we only have 6 days to get it done! I've sent some of the suggestions I've seen about the construction to our design engineer as he's doing them in AutoCAD and handing us a stack of printouts to put the thing together.

I just look at your design/build and sigh wishing mine looked partially as good.
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

dustyfro

Aug 05, 2009, 05:37 am #55 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010, 10:33 pm by Scarfwearer
All credit for the roof goes to my dad.  Well, except for the stacked frame around the outside.  I was also the one who figured out the proper (theoretical) dimensions for the trapezoids, but I don't know if he used them because he built it without me.  We got most of the inspiration for the design from scarfwearer's and britishink's builds and a bit of cleverness from my uncle.  The supports just ended up being on the corners instead of across the middle, and it's a lot lighter that way.  If you can figure out the angle between the hypotenuses of the trapezoids, you can cut an angle along a long piece of wood like dad did.
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

Aug 05, 2009, 09:24 am #56 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:35 pm by mordrogyn
Anyone who's trying to figure out their roof math might like to try the roof calculator we have on TARDIS Builders Forum: Roof Math Calculator. You don't have to be a member there to use it.

Crispin

magepro

Aug 05, 2009, 03:03 pm #57 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:35 pm by mordrogyn
MAN!

I don't know if completing or even getting close would be possible without this board and specifically Hanna, Purple, Shane and the ever-present Crispin. I don't mean to slight the others, I just can't think of everyone.  :P

Awww Heck... EXALT EVERYONE!

My designer says the same thing. The info is invaluable. I know that for our next one, it will be even better!
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

dustyfro

Aug 15, 2009, 07:54 am #58 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:36 pm by mordrogyn
I'm SO CLOSE to being done and I hit a huge ARRRRRGGGG!  I neglected to measure the back of the latch before I cut the hole for it, and it's too close to the edge, so it'll hang a good half an inch off of the door.  I know there was a bit of space between the doors when I hung them, which was covered by the center moulding, but I don't think it was that much.  I've got two options if it doesn't fit: find a cheap lock facing at the recycled building store and fake it, or try to find a different kind of lock.  They probably make those in the same standard size, huh?  I feel really stupid about it.  I really wanted it to be functional.  I don't suppose anyone wants to buy a nice latch for their build?

Everything besides that is going really well.  I had to go back to the hardware store to get my paint fixed because they mixed up the wrong color, not the one I ordered.  But I am really really happy with the final color.  It's brighter blue than it looks in the pictures, and is called Planetarium by Behr.  I diluted it by a little more than half, spread it on, then ran a dry-ish brush along it to make the lighter blue show through.
side
tardising001.jpg
roof
tardising005.jpg
sign frame and bracing pieces
tardising006.jpg

I tried out Magepro's technique of distressing by putting the dark purple paint that I got mixed first in the cracks of the panels, but it didn't really show up that well when I got the glaze over it.  I tried it a little more thoroughly on the doors, but I haven't put the final coat on them yet.
tardising002.jpg
tardising003.jpg
tardising004.jpg

My FRANKENLAMP!
My lamp was made using an Adam's Peanut Butter jar, some strips of what I think is aluminum, thicker than foil but thin enough to be cut with scissors, and a piece from a porch lamp fixture for the top.  I painted the strips first, then glued them to the glass with Super glue, but the fixture was tricky to get on the top of the jar, so I used silicone caulking.
tardising007.jpg
tardising008.jpg
tardising009.jpg
x Hannah

dustyfro

Aug 15, 2009, 08:05 am #59 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 02:36 pm by mordrogyn
I forgot to show this picture.  I'm holding the windows with these picture frame findings.
tardising010.jpg
x Hannah