Apr 20, 2024, 11:14 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Cloister Room

Started by The Signalman, May 07, 2014, 02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Signalman

Hello,

I need somewhere to put the K9 prop i made last year. So...

We have a small area with a stone bench in the garden, right behind my very own TYJ Box. Having always been a fan of Tom Bakers last story i have decided to attempt to construct the Cloister Room or at least a version of it for the stone seat to 'sit' and K9 to, well stand.

Still at the planning stage, but here's a sketch i drew this morning while in my signal box...

Garden Cloister Room.jpg

superrichi1a

This is one of the most ingenious and exciting ideas I've ever seen here. Good luck with the build, sketch looks great, and I'll be extremely envious, an area like that sounds like a perfect place to relax!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

The Signalman

Started the pillars this weekend, not quite the same style as the tv set...

cloister.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

davidnagel

Great start. And exactly how I saw tjose corrugated sheets! Well done :)
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jun 26, 2014, 04:53 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
This looks like a very ambitious project! (And a really cooooooooool one judging by your sketch! Putting that old Architectural Reconfiguration System to work for you again, eh? ;))

Before you get too far into the project, can we get a "Before" photo of the area that's going to be transformed? (And of course once all is said and done, a nice "Before - After" side-by-side would be perfect!)

Best of luck with this one. As superrichi1a said: "...sketch looks great, and I'll be extremely envious, an area like that sounds like a perfect place to relax!"

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The Signalman

requested picture already taken, and yes a before and after picture will be done.

Glad you like the design, may take a few weekends and then there's the roundels to vacuum form! Glad i've got this site for ideas.

Hopefully should be all done by the end of summer as long as the weather stays good and things go to plan.

The Signalman

Cleared the area and had a quick play just to see if everything fits...

IMAG0242.jpg

The Signalman

quick mock up of one of the back walls...

IMAG0245.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 27, 2014, 05:21 am #8 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2014, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
At the risk of having the Kool-Aid monster jug bursting through everyone's walls...

OH YEAH!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The Signalman

A quick update...

First, check i have enough slabs...

IMAG0257.jpg

Then, start putting them down...

IMAG0265.jpgIMAG0264.jpg

jellybaby

Inspired use of corrugated plastic. What a great effect! This is really shaping up nicely...

Elvis Gump

The Cloister Room would be a great set for the series to bring back and I think we are getting a demonstration of how cheap it would be to do so.

galacticprobe

Jul 04, 2014, 07:46 am #12 Last Edit: Jul 04, 2014, 07:46 am by galacticprobe
Certainly! Especially if they go for a "Logopolis"-style Cloister Room. If they decide on a TVM Cloister Room look - well - then you're talking some serious money to build that set, not to mention the amount of room it would take up.

A combination of both would be interesting: a "Logopolis" Cloister Room, with an Eye of Harmony access well (small version) in the center. But that's unlikely since we've seen the "Eye of Harmony Room" in "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS". But I agree; a return of a Logopolis-esque Cloister Room would be a treat for the eyes, and a nice throwback to the Classic Series.

Dino.

The Signalman

Now the stones are down i can start playing with my wood working tools.

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 07, 2014, 04:04 am #14 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014, 04:05 am by galacticprobe
It's looking great so far. And you've already got the ivy well established. Once those columns are permanently in place you should have no problem finding a few ivy "runners" long enough to wrap around the columns, and get started in the "half urns" on the walls (with a little potting soil in them to help them on their way - though I'd try to back those with some sort of plastic so you don't have the moist soil working its deteriorating magic on your nice wooden walls). You'll have to tie the runners in place on the columns until their little tendrils take hold, but once they do those columns will have a fantastic look. And once the ivy takes hold in the urns on the walls? You'll have a right proper Cloister Room in no time!

Dino.