Apr 18, 2024, 04:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Edge where wall and post meet

Started by javan, Jun 29, 2012, 03:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

javan

I am currently in the process of creating plans for the NST used by Eccleston and Tennant.
The pdf drawings by Bill Rudloff have been my primary source for dimensioning, but I do have one question.

Where the walls and the corner posts meet, is there a cove moulding piece located there or is it just a flat piece of wood that meets the post? I have attempted to find out by looking at close-ups on the show but have not been able to tell.
Also, about how far inset off of the corner posts are the walls?

Thanks

DoctorWho8

doctor_tardis1.jpg
They are pieces of wood that the doors/walls go behind.  Hopefully this pic can help.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

javan

Thanks, I think that cleared it up.
And thanks for drawing up the pdfs, they are quite nice.

hobbitdude13

Ok so I am violating netiquette. But I actually don't find the posted picture helpful. I'm attempting to build a Tennant-esque TARDIS and I can't get a clear idea what kind of "moulding" actually is used around the edge of the walls.  I have gone all over the 2005 box reference sections and since I can't shop in Britain I need an American analogue for whatever moulding was used in construction of them. Can anyone find/post/direct me to any pictures or something?

kiwidoc

That's hard to answer!  they have used several different mouldings around the edge of the 'doors' - and it's very hard to get an pictures showing them clearly.  there was a version I think which was basically a rectangle with a notch out of the outer edge, there have been curved faces and i think someone recently reported that the new Capaldi box has a new moulding again...

If in doubt you could use a simple rectangle (as I did on my box) http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3623.0;attach=58604;thumb.   Someone here will dig up a link to other discussions we've had on this topic though.  Relax, you're amongst friends and we're here to help.  Building this things drives everyone slightly mad in different ways and if the moulding issue is as bad as it gets, you're doing fine  :)

glen

hobbitdude13

Thank you kiwidoc. I didn't want to annoy everyone with a necropost but I want to do this right the first time and figured this would be the best place to ask the question.

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2014, 05:16 am #6 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014, 05:20 am by galacticprobe
Not sure if this will help, but this is a cropped photo of the plans on display at the DWE showing the corner post, where it meets the wall (including the door wall), and the "inside corner" moulding used on that particular version.
2005TARDIS-Prints-Moulding.jpg
(Open this in a new tab or window to see it full size if your browser resized it for your screen. It might appear a bit larger.)

Since Eccleston and Tennant used basically the same box (in theory), this moulding where the posts meet the walls should work well for your build. (Measurements are in millimeters, but it shouldn't be too hard to convert those to inches if you're working with Imperial measures rather than Metric.)

I hope this was helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: hobbitdude13 on Mar 17, 2014, 02:40 am
I didn't want to annoy everyone with a necropost but I want to do this right the first time and figured this would be the best place to ask the question.

You don't have to worry about that (I actually had to look up necropost) - We post up photos of Police Boxes from the late 20s. We get new members all the time and they will want to have the same questions answered in the future. As long as new Information is provided by the necropost, I think we'll all be ok with it. However Posting on an old post some thing like  "I agree" with no new information or discussion generated might not be what we want.

I'll watch some Tennent episodes and try to see if I can get a screen capture of the molding for you.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

DoctorWho8

Don't let the BBC plans confuse as the trim they show wasn't used on the 2005 boxes.  Instead it was a flat piece of wood with a little bead around the outer edge.  Maybe this pic can help.  You can open it in another window to get the full size.
tardis-david_00338406.jpg

hobbitdude13

Thanks guys! This will help a lot, actually. It wasn't until I moved the walls in on my build that this even became an issue and I appreciate the response. I'm going to go hunting for an equivalent later today after work.

DoctorWho8

From what I've discerned, the top profile looks like this:
Wall Trim.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 18, 2014, 04:11 am #11 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2014, 04:11 am by galacticprobe
I've seen similar-shaped moulding to Bill's "top profile" in the Trim Sections at several home improvement stores, though I don't think I've seen ones that large. If that profile image is life-sized, then you may have to get a 2 x 4, cut it in half lengthwise (to end up with two pieces of roughly 2 x 2), and then make that "bead" cut in it - which would be easy by running it the length of a table saw set to the right height; the saw blade's width would take care of the narrow part.

(Does that make sense? Just because I understand it doesn't mean everyone will.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

hobbitdude13

Ok I understand. I don't have a table saw but I'm sure I can make something work. I haven't had a chance to look yet but Menards has several small dimension lumber available. Now to attach them to the columns, what kind of nails does anybody recommend?

DoctorWho8

Dino, the top of door/wall trim is 1 3/16" wide and 3/4" high.  I just enlarged the graphic as "actual size" at 72dpi was too small to see when posted.

galacticprobe

Mar 19, 2014, 04:39 am #14 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 04:40 am by galacticprobe
Gotcha, Bill: a case of "Not to scale" here. (As I've said before, I know I can be dense at times, and that thought hadn't even occurred to me.) Maybe when enlarging small drawings you could include the actual measurements (if for no other reason than to help preserve what's left of my sanity?). ;) ;D

Dino.