Apr 23, 2024, 11:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

10th Doctor Costume

Started by superrichi1a, Apr 08, 2014, 06:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

After my shot at making the blue suit, with good results but ones that I thought I could work on, I decided to start from scratch and this time work firstly on the brown suit. Today was an exciting day because I at last got my hands on the coat I've been working on for ages!
My coat story started in 2011 when a friend of mine made me one, and since then I've been trying to make one as accurate and comfortable as possible. This first involved finding some nice fabrics, then tailoring. Here are the results :)

photo 1.JPG

Compared against the original coat, the fabric I used is a dark brown faux suede. It's not as textured or flecked as the original, but the colour I think is pretty close in most lights and it has a similar weight. The fabric is a satin black striped one that has about the right purple shine to look a bit blue - best I could find! I spent about 2 years going through fabrics and comparing them at the DWE before I found this one that I could be reasonably pleased with :)

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.jpg

Tailoring I think is a step up from my previous efforts. It's a bit heavy around the bottom, but in most poses that's not really a problem and when moving it's not noticeable, and the collar spreads out a bit much, this could be fixed by ironing it into place though. I'm proud of the exterior pockets, put a lot of research into those and I think they're "about" right, or at least I'm at last satisfied!

Just something a bit different that I thought you'd enjoy seeing :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

hobbitdude13

If you don't mind my asking (as I am in the middle of a coat myself), what pattern did you base your design on? Mine is a modified out-of-print Vogue 7988 pattern.

superrichi1a

I actually worked with a Chinese cosplay company, I'd owned one of their coats before; the pattern wasn't great (in their early days this was) but their quality and customer service was great, so I spent about 6 months emailing back and forth with them straightening everything out in detail. Kudos to them they really put effort into reworking their pattern based on my notes :)
I don't believe I've seen yours? Is it on the forum anywhere? Always love to see how other people have tackled the problem  :D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

hobbitdude13

Apr 09, 2014, 10:29 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:30 am by hobbitdude13
LOL mine is still in "raw form" as it were, I'm about to start the tailoring process. I went with the Joann Fabrics "Tobacco solid Alova" suedecloth for the shell, then "Medieval Blue" cloth (idr what type of cloth) for the lining.

il_570xN.252817799.jpg

I used the "B" coat as a starting point and had the tailor change what needed to be. The collar, the length, eliminating the chest pocket, and adding "darts" to the back and front. And the vent whatzit to the back.

20140409_062619.jpg

Here is what I went with for the shell. Once I get the coat made (lol I can't sew), I'll post a pic on here.

superrichi1a

Looking very exciting! I can't wait to see how that turns out :) How long do you reckon the whole project will take?

hobbitdude13

Its already been a year since I bought the materials, and the tailor says probably August.

superrichi1a

Well I look forward to seeing how it turns out! Considered trying to devise a pattern myself at first, but what can I say I'm lazy :D

superrichi1a

Just a few extra bits, not unique, not a build as such, but considering this is a whole costume build, here are the bother pits and bobs I have ready:

photo 1.JPG

I was lucky enough to get these accurate cream converse for a bargain recently, was a happy moment as they seem to be becoming more and more difficult to track down!

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

My tie collection here includes an original Duffer 50th Anniversary tie, and an original Rocha public appearances tie, also shown are reproduction Christian Lacriox and Giorgio Armani ties. Of them all the Giorgio is my favourite, but my ongoing battle is still the acquisition of the Daniel Hetcher tie, which personally I think of as pretty definitive and aesthetically pleasing.

photo 4.JPG

Finally the sonic screwdriver that will be going with my costume. This is an MFX replica with polished head section. I've owned replicas from a few different makers in the past now, and all have differed in quality and function. I've made up my own mind which I think is the best match to the original prop, as there's just so much misinformation out there! Keeping my opinions quiet here on that, I really wanted use the MFX for this costume because primarily I was inspired to finish this project by seeing Tennant again in the 50th, and of course it was used in that particular production, so it's a nice finishing off I think! :D

hobbitdude13

You said it about the cream Converse becoming harder to find. I stumbled on mine by accident and snatched them up immediately to go with my brown Tennant ensemble. The red ones are more common. 

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2014, 07:46 am #9 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014, 07:48 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Apr 14, 2014, 08:10 pm
...but my ongoing battle is still the acquisition of the Daniel Hetcher tie, which personally I think of as pretty definitive and aesthetically pleasing.

Try Magnoli Clothiers: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/tennant-tie-ties-p-100.html. This looked remarkably like the Hechter Tie. (I think they may have just renamed it to the "Tennant Tie" like they did with their "Swirly Tie", which used to be called the "Fireplace Tie": first seen in "The Girl in the Fireplace".)

The price includes shipping and is on par with ties you'd find in many men's clothing stores. I've ordered from them before. They ship fast and are quick to answer any e-mails.

Hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Oooohh I didn't know they had that design currently, saw their version 2 but this one is much nicer! My Lacriox and Giorgio ties are from Magnoli, bought ages ago. Magnoli, from what I understand however, is currently on the radar of Thomas Nash, Armani, Belstaff etc (ie all the companies he is replicating) who aren't too happy with quite what he's doing, so he's had to make efforts such as renaming items in order to be less conspicuous.

galacticprobe

Apr 16, 2014, 05:01 am #11 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2014, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
I've noticed that Magnoli has changed the name of some of the ties (and a few other articles) they sell. I believe before it was the "Hechter Tie", it was the "Timelord Tie". Now it's the "Tennant Tie". They've changed the names of jackets, coats, shirts, etc. over the years. Not sure of the reason, but I don't think I've ever seen Magnoli use any of the Armani et al names in their products.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

When I bought mine it was "Giogio" Tie, and his Nina Ricci tie was called "Ricci" tie, so maybe it's a case of just getting rid of that brand reference. Ironically though if he renames these things as "Timelord" tie or "Tennant" he'll just fall onto the BBC radar and might not fare any better!

hobbitdude13

I daresay you guys must have deeper pockets than I to afford the Magnoli ties. I have found my Tennant(ish) ties at Goodwill mostly, like most of my Tenth doctor costume.

20140415_161543.jpg

The one on the left is my main one for the costume, while the right one is as close to the Magnoli swirly tie as I can get with Goodwill randomness.

superrichi1a

I do like that one on the left a lot! The colour scheme could make it part of either a brown or a blue suit :)
I suppose I'm lucky in what I've managed to get in my collection, although surprisingly little is down to it being bought full price! The swirly tie was bought when Magnoli made an error in printing so it was half price, the MFX is the result of me waiting 4 years to get a budget I could justify spending in one go like that. This costume project started as a result of me thinking Magnoli was stupidly priced! I think people put too much store in what money buys, when really it's also to do with how patient you are and how lucky you can make yourself in terms of keeping an eye out for opportunities ;)