Apr 18, 2024, 10:21 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Rox's Tardis

Started by Rox, Aug 11, 2008, 09:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rox

Wow!  I guess that a lot of the Brachacki box must have been replaced and rejigged - it looks so different at the start of Spearhead!   :D

Barring disasters, I think mine should have another few years in her.  :) 

The side panels and doors are holding up really well, and I don't see any signs of needing to replace those; to be honest I think the next replacements will be the base and the roof again.  One corner post will need replacing at some point, but I will probably wait until I have to it - but it isn't a particularly onerous job in all honesty; but I'll do it when I need to.

I think the main reason this has held up so well is that I used the treated tanalised wood.  That must have made a difference.  I've got some of the wood I had at the same time as I built the TARDIS which keeps getting reused on different projects and is still going strong.
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

galacticprobe

May 06, 2018, 03:01 am #76 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:06 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Rox on May 05, 2018, 02:58 pm
Wow! I guess that a lot of the Brachacki box must have been replaced and rejigged - it looks so different at the start of Spearhead!   :D

The rejigging started long before "Spearheads". (If you want to get technical, it started in Season 2 when the roof lamp's Fresnel lens was replaced with a white translucent cylinder, and then later on the lamp cap got changed from the round one with a shallow dome to the square one with a hemi dome.)

And that's just the start of it. If you want to see what the Brachacki went through from Hartnell's last few stories to the Brachacki's final (cameo) appearance in 1976, read through Tony's Article, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4489.msg51890#msg51890. What you'll learn from that will stagger you!

Quote from: Rox on May 05, 2018, 02:58 pm
I think the main reason this has held up so well is that I used the treated tanalised wood. That must have made a difference.

Well, Rox, whatever you did, or are doing, you're doing it right! So keep up the great maintenance work and I'll bet you get another 10 years (or more) out of your Old Girl!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rox

Just thought I'd add this picture - a screencap from our CCTV cameras:

TARDISCCTV.jpg

:)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

superrichi1a

You know it occurs to me that with this new door sign, your TARDIS could easily be a precursor to the Whittaker TARDIS, a decade early! You could really go the whole hog and do a good looking conversion if you ever needed to ;)

Not that you would, of course, as it looks brillaint already!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Mark

That picture makes it looks like you've taken a photo of a model railway scene.

What a lovely area to "hide" your TARDIS

Rox

Because it was just something I decided to do one day, with no proper plans, I decided it was just 'my' TARDIS.  

But, I've long held the idea that the TARDIS hasn't been a proper reflection of a Police Box since it's first demat/remat.

I think what makes the Chameleon Circuit faulty causes 'glitches' that means the box reassembles slightly differently every time. Like a MP3 that's going through a faulty player; the original is compressed, and the interpretation is randomly faulty within the general parameters of a Police Box.

For me, it's a little way to explain all those little blips and mistakes and bits dropping off the TARDIS between stories (or between locations in the same story even!). And it fits the nature of the TARDIS too. It's why the only ones I'm not keen on are the ones that look too perfect and new.

It's a machine that's been through battles and is faulty. It looks different on a regular basis. I'm fine with it as long as it's - broadly speaking - a Police Box with the right proportions.

It's why the Whittaker TARDIS works for me too - it's glitching through lots of errors, and tada! a new version.

At least, that's how my brain sees the TARDIS. :D

karsthotep

Jun 13, 2018, 12:36 pm #81 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 12:46 pm by karsthotep
Yes I agree,  what you are describing is known as Chameleonic Shift.  ;D :D
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Jun 14, 2018, 06:04 am #82 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2018, 06:04 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Rox on Jun 13, 2018, 11:40 am
I think what makes the Chameleon Circuit faulty causes 'glitches' that means the box reassembles slightly differently every time.

Quote from: karsthotep on Jun 13, 2018, 12:36 pm
Yes I agree,  what you are describing is known as Chameleonic Shift.  ;D :D

A term I think we're all hoping to see become canon one day... because it's brilliant! :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"