Apr 24, 2024, 10:06 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

London Road at Monteith Row Box

Started by hb88banzai, Apr 01, 2014, 10:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Apr 01, 2014, 10:50 am Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014, 11:07 am by hb88banzai
The Box on the island at the apex of the junction of London Road and Monteith Row - A8.

Photo from 10 August 1962 --

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(10Aug1962).jpg

An approximation of this POV in streetview for how this area looks now --

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(10Aug1962)-ApproxPOV_Streetview.JPG

A blowup of the Box --

LondonRoad&MonteithRow -A8- (10Aug1962)-Blowup.JPG

A series of screen captures from a film showing the last day of Trams procession on 04 September 1962 --

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(04Sep1962)Pic1.JPG

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(04Sep1962)Pic2.JPG

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(04Sep1962)Pic3.JPG

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(04Sep1962)Pic4.JPG

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-(04Sep1962)Pic5.JPG

Current view of the Box Site --

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row_Box-SiteStreetview.JPG

URL:  http://maps.google.com/maps?q=118+London+Road,+Glasgow,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.855203,-4.238491&spn=0.000024,0.017788&oq=118+London+Road,+Glasgow&t=m&hnear=118+London+Rd,+Glasgow,+Glasgow+City+G1,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=55.85445,-4.239779&panoid=kh3ZEeDKhhxK6yESsdKVpw&cbp=12,153.34,,0,9.56&z=16

OS map from 1952-1954 (marked "PCB" at centre of map) --

London_Road_at_Monteith_Row-A8-OS_MapExtract-(1952-1954).JPG

petewilson

Some great Photos banzai and don't they look so much better in black and white
(Red just isn't right!)  ;D

timerotor

Hello fellow time travelers and Police Box fans! Long time no post! (sorry about that).

I was in Glasgow earlier today, and I found that a Police Box has once more materialised on London Road alongside Barrowland Park.
Its probably been noted before, but I only heard of 4 Original Police Boxes documented in Glasgow.
Buchanan Street, Wilson Street, The Great Western Road (Botanic Gardens), Cathedral Square, THIS one at London Road's Barrowland Park, and one more (a RED one at Sauchiehall street junction with West Nile Street. there are now 6 in total!
It is quite a moving experience seeing these old original restored boxes up close as they would have been in their hey day. Awww.
Anyway, for the sake of celebrating old street furniture, here's a snap & a map or two.
Hope this makes others as happy as it did me! (well worth a look if you're in Edinburgh or Glasgow)
Best wishes.
MBHMBH Glasgow London Road July 2017 TARDIS hunting!.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-29 at 19.28.33.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-29 at 19.44.21.png
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

petewilson

Nice Photo timerotor.......
A box that hasn't been converted into a coffee kiosk!  ;D
I believe there are still 12 (?) boxes in Glasgow (inc. Museums and private) BUT there are not any in Edinburgh (only the boring shed type!)

Pete

hb88banzai

Aug 09, 2017, 05:43 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017, 06:24 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: timerotor on Jul 29, 2017, 06:41 pm
Hello fellow time travelers and Police Box fans! Long time no post! (sorry about that).

I was in Glasgow earlier today, and I found that a Police Box has once more materialised on London Road alongside Barrowland Park.
Its probably been noted before, but I only heard of 4 Original Police Boxes documented in Glasgow.
Buchanan Street, Wilson Street, The Great Western Road (Botanic Gardens), Cathedral Square, THIS one at London Road's Barrowland Park, and one more (a RED one at Sauchiehall street junction with West Nile Street. there are now 6 in total!
It is quite a moving experience seeing these old original restored boxes up close as they would have been in their hey day. Awww.
Anyway, for the sake of celebrating old street furniture, here's a snap & a map or two.
Hope this makes others as happy as it did me! (well worth a look if you're in Edinburgh or Glasgow)
Best wishes.
MBHMBH Glasgow London Road July 2017 TARDIS hunting!.png
(snip)

Great pic timerotor.

This "new" London Road Box was actually installed back in June 2014. Here's the original posting for it in the Police Box Catalog: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5478.0

Per Ward Westwater himself, this is the original Wilson Street Box (A25 - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4627.0), which itself had been swapped out with another, renovated Box a number of years ago when the siting for A25 was moved from the soon-to-be demolished traffic/PC island in the centre of the roadway to its current position on the widened north sidewalk.

And Pete -- they may appear vaguely shed-like (at least when viewed from a speeding Tram), but the Edinburgh Boxes are anything but boring, having been designed by E.J. MacRae (Edinburgh's City Architect for most of his career, and sometimes described as the man who shaped modern Edinburgh) to reflect that city's gothic and neo-classical architectural heritage. More care was taken in their design and execution than practically any other standardized Police Boxes in the western world, and it shows.

petewilson

Quote from: hb88banzai on Aug 09, 2017, 05:43 am

Pete -- they may appear vaguely shed-like (at least when viewed from a speeding Tram), but the Edinburgh Boxes are anything but boring, having been designed by E.J. MacRae (Edinburgh's City Architect for most of his career, and sometimes described as the man who shaped modern Edinburgh) to reflect that city's gothic and neo-classical architectural heritage. More care was taken in their design and execution than practically any other standardized Police Boxes in the western world, and it shows.

What I meant was the boxes in Edinburgh are not the same (and as good) as the beautiful creations by Mr Gilbert Mackenzie Trench  ;D

petewilson

Here's someone rather famous visiting an Edinburgh Box back in 1992..... ;D

Edinburgh.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 14, 2017, 01:36 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2017, 01:37 am by galacticprobe
Looking at that photo I can almost hear that distinctive voice echoing in my head: "Ah... I see. Mmm... Well, Old Girl, at least you're still trying."

Beautiful photo, Pete! Thank you for posting it. (I needed something like this.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"