News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Foxmeister's Tardis

Started by foxmeister, Oct 17, 2008, 04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

foxmeister

Oct 17, 2008, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 pm by Scarfwearer
Greetings all.

Having recently discovered this site, and started my own Tardis build just a few days ago, I thought I'd share my "Type 40 Project" blog just in case someone somewhere finds my experience (or inexperience as the case may be) useful!

http://type40project.blogspot.com

This was mostly written to share what I'm up to with family and friends, so it's not supposed to be a technical write up of my build,  and  I'm told it's reasonably entertaining!

I do kinda wish that I read more of this site before I'd actually started as even a cursory poke around at other peoples builds has given me pause for thought as to what I could've done but didn't, but I'm really using this experience as a learning exercise - I'm currently at my vacation home in Florida, but I'm normally resident in the UK and eventually I'll want to build a Tardis back over there so I see this one very much as a "prototype".

Anyway, good luck to everyone else currently in construction, or about to start, and well done to everyone who's finished. I really hope to be joining the latter group by around the end of the month!

Cheers,

Dave

atomicgraph

Apr 30, 2009, 02:48 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
hey congratulations with the wedding. i'm looking forward to the new pics. i think your lighting idea sounds pretty neat, hope it works out for you

atomicgraph

Oct 17, 2008, 10:02 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:39 pm by scarfwearer
welcome to the board post some pics when you get a chance and good luck with the build

Doctor Iz

Oct 17, 2008, 11:03 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:39 pm by scarfwearer
Checked out your URL blog!  Looking good.  Get some photos posted here would be great too. Welcome to TR2.

Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

foxmeister

Oct 19, 2008, 12:42 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 pm by scarfwearer
Herewith a picture of my progress to date! So far, I've completed the base and roof subassemblies, and this is a picture of the roof on top of the base - all I need now is the bit in the middle and apart from a few bits and pieces and a lick of paint, it's all done!  ;D

SANY0243.jpg

And you're quite right Colin (Sorvan) - it's definitely a scuplture, not a shed! However, I did consider that when it's finished I could put it right at the front of the yard and use it as a mailbox!

Regards,

Dave

Doctor Iz

Oct 19, 2008, 01:05 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 pm by scarfwearer
Nice job Dave!  I told my wife I was putting the ol' girl in the front to replace the mail post...lol!
She won't be able to move it once it's out there... hehe

Nice roof!
Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Rassilons Rod

Oct 19, 2008, 09:24 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: driz on Oct 19, 2008, 01:05 amNice job Dave!  I told my wife I was putting the ol' girl in the front to replace the mail post...lol!
She won't be able to move it once it's out there... hehe

Nice roof!
Cheers,
Jon~

The phone cubby would be a great place to leave post ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

avadh

Oct 19, 2008, 08:53 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 pm by scarfwearer
The roof and base are looking nice and solid. Good work.

Doctor Iz

Oct 20, 2008, 03:15 am #8 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 pm by scarfwearer
Dave, I posted a response to the Fresnel supplier on:  http://tardisboard.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=manual&action=display&thread=900

I hope that helps! 

Cheers,
Jon~ ;)

foxmeister

Oct 20, 2008, 06:13 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks, I did take a look, but I think I'm going to forego the fresnel option for this build anyway. I've found some lights that look like they will serve the purpose with a minimum of fuss and I wasn't aware that the fresnel was mostly on the earlier props anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

foxmeister

Oct 22, 2008, 01:20 am #10 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 pm by scarfwearer
I've got 3 corner posts completed now, and the fourth is almost done - the only thing that stopped me was running out of wood glue, and a rather twisted piece of lumber that i'll probably have to replace.

Anyway, by tomorrow afternoon it should be done, and before I go any further I need to seriously consider how to weather proof it as far as I possibly can because it'll have to move out of the garage oance I attach the roof to the base (via the corner posts of course!).

Any advice on products that Lowes or Home Depot would sell that I can use to minimise the effects of Florida weather on my box? I know that there is no panacea, and I'm prepared for a 6 to 9 month maintenance schedule to keep it in good condition.

Currently I'm thinking of:

a) Using wood filler to fill any gaps in the construction
b) Sand down surface relatively lightly
c) Apply some kind of wood preservative (advice required here!), especially on the base and the roof .
c) Heavy duty oil based primer tinted grey or blue

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Dave

Doctor Iz

Oct 22, 2008, 01:35 am #11 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: foxmeister on Oct 22, 2008, 01:20 amCurrently I'm thinking of:

a) Using wood filler to fill any gaps in the construction
b) Sand down surface relatively lightly
c) Apply some kind of wood preservative (advice required here!), especially on the base and the roof .
c) Heavy duty oil based primer tinted grey or blue
Does this sound reasonable?

Dave, I think you have a good plan above.

C2) I used Zinsser's Bulls Eye Exterior primer in the oil base, which I purchased at Lowes.  I wanted an oil base primer on the bare plywood and yellow pine.  Latex can be painted over this oil base primer too.  I had them tint the primer to Autumn Sky Blue for a base coat colour which is carried in Lowes colour swatches or you can just ask for it by colour name. 

C1) in reverse order, I really don' t have an answer for this.  Perhaps the oil base primer might work for this.  The only concern that I have is applying a wood preservative first, you may not be able to paint over it or not for a long period of time. 

Hope that helps some... Anyone else?

Cheers,
Jon~

EDIT:  It's nice to have another TARDIS build state side.  What part of Florida are you in?

foxmeister

Oct 22, 2008, 09:49 am #12 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:42 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Jon,

The preservative is my main concern here -  as you say, I might have to wait weeks to paint over it and I don't have that long! More research is required methinks!

I'm currently in a place called Spring Hill, which is about 45 miles north of Tampa, FL. Weather conditions here can be... interesting... so, I need to make sure I get this right!

Regards,

Dave

Sorvan

Oct 22, 2008, 05:01 pm #13 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:42 pm by scarfwearer
Hello,

As long as you are talking about a wood preserver and not a wood sealer, it might not be a bad move - that should help prevent rot as a wood preserver will soak into the wood.  My limited experience with wood preservers are that they're smelly and toxic when wet (make sure to get disposable gloves and work outside).

As for actual product, what I'd suggest is to ask at your local hardware store / lumber yard.  Read the labels, make sure you can paint over them, do some research on the Internet if you have to.

Colin

foxmeister

Oct 22, 2008, 11:07 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:42 pm by scarfwearer
Irony of ironies, most of the wood preservers I could find on  the web that state you can paint over them seem to only be available in the UK and the rest of Europe - Cuprinol (which I've heard of) and Sandolin (which I haven't!).

Anyway, after some more digging I found this product:

http://www.wolman.com/product_detail2.asp?ProductID=13

It looks like it does what I want it to do, and I think I'm better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, the nearest stockists to me are quite a way away, so I've had to order online. The US being a big place, I've noticed that it takes at least twice as long for stuff to be delivered over here than I'm used to in the UK, so I doubt I'll see this before next week!

Oh well, I shall have to start making the light boxes I suppose! ;)

Regards,

Dave