Previous topic - Next topic

Dalekoracle

Jan 28, 2014, 10:51 am Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015, 10:52 pm by Tardis Builders
CapaldiBox_zpsadc3e2be.jpg

Discuss....

Mark
x

BioDoctor900

It Doesn't look as plastic as it did in the pictures from filming of the christmas episode, maybe it was the lighting or they've decided to tone it back down

BioDoctor900

darren79

Jan 28, 2014, 12:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014, 12:58 pm by darren79

Again rumours of "it's going to be a new exterior" were crap.

image.jpg

DoctorWho8

I think it looks duller because it's raining as they filmed today, but it was bright and sunny when this prop debuted in the Time of the Doctor.  But it is a new prop.  The defining features are the window trim is about twice as thick as all previous boxes, the corner posts are about and inch or so thinner than the Series 5-7 boxes (more in line with the Series 4 box), and all the inset panel widths are the same on all four sides (like the Series 5 box).
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff
P.S. I think were already have a thread for this prop from last year.  Maybe this thread should be merged with it?

superrichi1a

Quote from: darren79 on Jan 28, 2014, 12:33 pm
Again rumours of "it's going to be a new exterior" were crap.

An uncompromising statement. It's a new prop with distinctive new features (or possible a heavily redressed series 5 hero prop), among them the corner posts, paint, lamp topper, door divider, panel size, interior backdrop, window lighting, door panel lighting. It's a case of "actually it's rather different, but 99% of people won't spot it".
Changes from the Christmas episode most noticeably are the windows, weathering, and interior backdrop (whether the latter is just actually a new cap with new lighting, or just a different way of backlighting it, it's difficult to tell at the moment).
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Jan 28, 2014, 05:16 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014, 05:17 pm by galacticprobe
It may just be the lighting, but that lamp topper (lamp cap?) looks pretty much the same as it has from Series 5 onwards. (Again, no real clear photos of the prop showing the lamp; they always seemed to crop that bit when they photographed it. That is, unless I've missed one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dalekoracle

Theres various views from todays shoot on this flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54169297@N04/with/12186809073/

Two blocks of photos, Capaldi and Coleman, and Capaldi & box close up.

mr mcgoo

This link, whilst from the Christmas Special shows the lamp topper to be the same-just cleaned up by the looks of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugim0e/9720771224/in/set-72157635466403279

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2014, 04:30 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2014, 04:32 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Dalekoracle on Jan 28, 2014, 06:29 pm
Theres various views from todays shoot on this flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54169297@N04/with/12186809073/

Two blocks of photos, Capaldi and Coleman, and Capaldi & box close up.

Unfortunately, none of the photos of the TARDIS show the lamp's cap.

Quote from: mr mcgoo on Jan 28, 2014, 09:06 pm
This link, whilst from the Christmas Special shows the lamp topper to be the same-just cleaned up by the looks of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugim0e/9720771224/in/set-72157635466403279

And here's the lamp cap on that photo:
LampCap.jpg
The cap looks the same - maybe a little lower on the lens, but still the same cap.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

eltonbean

It looks a bit cheap to me, no finer details in comparison to the 2006 David T Tardis.

superrichi1a

Maybe I was wrong about the cap then... Still... I think you're right, Dino, to say the one used these past days sits higher on the lamp, and that may go a long way to making it appear different. When looking at the images I just couldn't shake the notion that it looked more conical than usual, with less of a relief between the top tier and lower tier, although I'm prepared to accept I could be wrong, and may easily be a trick of the light.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

If anyone is curious how far back the doors and panels are away from the edges of the corner posts for the Series 8 box, this gives a really good view of that.
470_2751875.jpg

superrichi1a

Well that's a somewhat bigger distance than I was expecting, I never really took the time to think about why the shadows on this prop looked to be in such stark relief.

NotaMountainGoat

Wow, those walls really are recessed now.

And is it just me, or is the base more noticeably elevated and up on wheels now? I thought they always had the new props down flat on the ground. Or maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention...

DoctorWho8

The box is propped up on some shims to keep it level with the camera.  Otherwise the TARDIS will be tilted and could be visually distracting.