May 04, 2024, 07:42 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Whomobile Whereabouts?

Started by warped in storage, Jan 18, 2014, 01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warped in storage

Does CO (or any other company) even need a licence?
Just... The car isn't even owned by the Doctor Who franchise, is it? If not, it is just a car owned by a man, where no proper copyright laws apply, so Character Options wouldn't need to pay a thing to the BBC, if the fans demand it...
I'm called Stormaggeddon, Dark Lord of all... Or you can call me Warped in Storage.

hb88banzai

Except that even if that were the case they still wouldn't be able to use the name "Bessie" nor be able to advertise any relationship to Doctor Who without a license fee.

kert gantry

Feb 07, 2014, 10:43 pm #32 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014, 10:46 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Feb 07, 2014, 01:46 pm

There is also the issue of the CO characters being unable to sit down in either a Bessie or a Whomobile.  Without that playability it pretty much rules out anyone other than pure collectors.

True, a lot of the CO classics aren't great sitters. Unfortunately the Pertwee is one of the worst for this! But it wouldn't be a great stretch for them to bring out a more car-friendly version (with specially moulded cape of course!).

With its origins as a kit car, the basic shell of Bessie wouldn't be too difficult to produce in miniature either. Looking at the little Corgi version, the main body is made up of some fairly basic shapes. The only really tricky bit would be the rain-hood, I'd guess.  

A custom Bessie is on my 'to-do' list of models to attempt, but first I need to finish several others I've got lying about in bits.

thascalos

They would just need to bring out a Jon with fabric coat.
"I only need two things. Your submission and your obedience to MY WILL!"

markofrani

This might be of interest. This chap has made a lovely job of a CO scale model Bessie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TjQ8KkGLwU

kert gantry

An absolute knockout - thanks for the link! And the long-bonnet version too!

warped in storage

Feb 09, 2014, 11:12 pm #36 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2014, 04:19 pm by warped in storage
EDIT: the person who gave me some  information about the whomobile location and stuff asked me to remove this post.
I'm called Stormaggeddon, Dark Lord of all... Or you can call me Warped in Storage.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: kert gantry on Feb 07, 2014, 10:43 pm
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Feb 07, 2014, 01:46 pm

There is also the issue of the CO characters being unable to sit down in either a Bessie or a Whomobile.  Without that playability it pretty much rules out anyone other than pure collectors.

True, a lot of the CO classics aren't great sitters. Unfortunately the Pertwee is one of the worst for this! But it wouldn't be a great stretch for them to bring out a more car-friendly version (with specially moulded cape of course!).

Baker isn't a problem though.  He just has to stand up in the back holding a bucket while the Brig from the Axos or Daemon set drives!

dwhobessie99

warped in storage

Quote from: dwhobessie99 on Feb 18, 2014, 11:00 am
Warped In Storage

The Original, you might say... Now, what do you want?  ;)

davidnagel

Jun 18, 2015, 02:30 pm #40 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2015, 02:30 pm by davidnagel
It seems the famous Whomobile is making an appearance for the first time in 20 years at smallspaces event in July.
More info at http://www.hamex.co.uk/smallspace/smallspace-gen/smallspace-gen.html

whomob2015.JPG
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jun 18, 2015, 03:14 pm #41 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2015, 03:19 pm by galacticprobe
Is this the original Whomobile, or a replica? It looks like it has more pieces on it than the original did. (Or is it the original that's been modified?) Not sure why someone would modify it, though; when Jon Pertwee had it built, it was built to be street legal and was registered as an "Invalid Tricycle" because it was a street-legal three-wheeler. (It's amazing what you can learn from watching clips of 'Blue Peter' and reading interviews in Doctor Who Magazine.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Senseidale

It is a shame the Whomobile is under raps, why don't the BBC try to buy her and have it on show at the DR Who experience in Cardiff or take it on tour, I would to see her.
Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

domvar

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 18, 2015, 03:14 pm
Is this the original Whomobile, or a replica? It looks like it has more pieces on it than the original did. [/u].)

Dino.

Hi Dino

Which bits do you mean, the black windscreen was removed and replaced with the roof and canopy before planet of the spiders so was done by JP himself or are you meaning something else ?

Dom

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 18, 2015, 03:14 pm
Is this the original Whomobile, or a replica?
Dino.

Hi Dino, Smallspace is Mat Irvine's website - he unequivocally states that this is the real Whomobile - the original you might say!
Tony