Mar 01, 2024, 08:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Instant camera - can anybody ID it?

Started by markanthonyquested, Jan 04, 2014, 06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

markanthonyquested

Jan 04, 2014, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015, 10:38 pm by Tardis Builders
Polaroid_zps88f7757c-1_zps54f56c5c.jpeg

Please can anybody identify the manufacturer, make and model of this instant camera?

(Ref: "Doctor Who - The City of Death".)
Yours aye!

Mark Quested
"He posts, in confusion!"

DocEight

Really hope you get this ID'd. (I'm DoctorEight on the RPF, btw)
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2014, 06:41 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2014, 06:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: markanthonyquested on Jan 04, 2014, 06:20 pm
Please can anybody identify the manufacturer, make and model of this instant camera?

(Ref: "Doctor Who - The City of Death".)


I don't know if this helps, but I recognize the "flash cube" on top of the camera. It's one of those Kodak cubes that had four flash bulbs in it. It would rotate either automatically or manually as you advanced the film, depending on the camera (so you could snap four photos before having to change the bulb; it was Kodak's answer to a "revolver" for flash bulbs and brought cameras out of the "single-shot-cap-and-ball" flash bulb era). I don't know how many cameras back them accepted those flash cubes, but it should help narrow the field down a little.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DocEight

Jan 05, 2014, 07:35 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2014, 07:48 am by DocEight
We worked most of the afternoon trying to find an answer. I have ruled out most Polaroid and Kodak instant cameras from 1963-1979.

I looked at some European models as well such as Contax and Leica. Leica is not likely due to how expensive they are, and considering production costs for classic Who.

If you watch the scene in question, you can get a good view of the camera as he uses it, but it is hard to capture in stills.

The scene is in episode 3 of City of Death when he's being held by swordpoint in DaVinci's studio by the guard. He snaps a photo of the guard to distract/immobilize him.

Here is a bit clearer shot of the camera:
16869509825148e87c63e7257a247d17_zps596a30e8.jpg

It is possible the base is a modification, to make it look like an instant camera.
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

DocEight

Jan 05, 2014, 08:13 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2014, 08:28 am by DocEight
I believe it is a modified Kodak Instamatic 233. It has a central flashcube, the viewfinder is in the right place, and the body color matches.

c420b3d0a53bb34c6f785d6e04c98ee8_zps645c165f.jpg
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

DocEight

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 05, 2014, 06:41 am

I don't know if this helps, but I recognize the "flash cube" on top of the camera. It's one of those Kodak cubes that had four flash bulbs in it. It would rotate either automatically or manually as you advanced the film, depending on the camera (so you could snap four photos before having to change the bulb; it was Kodak's answer to a "revolver" for flash bulbs and brought cameras out of the "single-shot-cap-and-ball" flash bulb era). I don't know how many cameras back them accepted those flash cubes, but it should help narrow the field down a little.

Dino.


Actually, this is the clue that pointed me to what I believe is the correct model. Once I started looking at models that used flash cubes, it became fairly obvious.
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 05, 2014, 06:00 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2014, 06:04 pm by rassilonsrod
I'm suspecting this one, did they come with some sort of folding case also?

Perhaps the bit underneath was just a mod for the show and it wasn't actually a Polaroid camera
(certainly this is an Instamatic 77X not a Polaroid). I'm thinking that waiting for the picture to
develop was just too much of a time waster for the production...

Kodak Instamatic 77x.jpg


In this one you can clearly see the central mounting for the flash cube...
APP0240.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DocEight

Yeah, we're pretty sure it's the 77X now that we've examined the evidence.

I was so close!  ;D
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2014, 03:02 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014, 03:04 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: DocEight on Jan 05, 2014, 08:42 am
Actually, this is the clue that pointed me to what I believe is the correct model. Once I started looking at models that used flash cubes, it became fairly obvious.

Glad to be of help! (And just for reference in case someone else decides to look this up in future and for those interested, I just remembered those flash cubes were called "Magicubes".)

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 05, 2014, 06:00 pm
...did they come with some sort of folding case also?

Yes, the 77X looks to be spot on for the camera. There were models that came in a folding case (like one of those travelling alarm clocks) so the lens was protected while you carted the camera around in your pocket along with your change, keys, (sonic screwdriver, duck decoy, "battle rattle", mini "Beware Sutekh" signal detector, etc.).

My parents used to have an 'Instamatic' camera in one of those folding cases - long ago, now. I can't remember if one of the models came with the case, or if the case was an "add-on" you could buy and then slip the camera into (like with a modern mobile/cell phone protector case), but I do remember the 'folding alarm clock'-look the thing had.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DocEight

It was really a lot of fun playing detective! I quite liked watching it come together after gathering the clues!

The OP likes collecting these 'found object' props so I can't wait to help in the future!
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.