Apr 19, 2024, 07:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Happy Holidays from Alan

Started by hb88banzai, Dec 25, 2013, 11:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Dec 25, 2013, 11:53 am Last Edit: Jan 02, 2014, 11:48 am by hb88banzai
To continue the festivities, here are some of things I've found in the last however many months that I either haven't gotten around to scanning or just haven't posted yet (bad Alan).

Y1 replaced by a Mark 5 at the Bus Station on Ducketts Common near Turnpike Lane Underground Station in Wood Green (1958) --
Y1-ThebusstationatTurnpikeLaneUnderground1958ed.jpg

A blowup --
Y1-ThebusstationatTurnpikeLaneUnderground1958ed-Blowup.JPG

Z14 on Brighton Road in Hooley, c1948 after being moved from Warlingham (tried very hard to get this postcard, but someone with much deeper pockets prevailed) --
Z14-Brighton_Road-Hooley_Box-Z14-(c1950s)-watermarked.jpg

Z9 on Brighton Road in Coulsdon - the original Coulsdon Box confirmed here as being the mid-1930s and this time showing that it was eventually given a beacon on top (unlike the Met Archive photos) --
Z9-Brighton_Road-Coulsdon(OriginalBox)-(Postcard)-c1930s.jpg
I prevailed with this postcard so just need to scan and post it. It deserves a lot of study as it is a very, very strange Box. The more I look at it the more I find - definitely a variation of the Richmond type Mark 1 Boxes, but with lots of differences.

R29 on Station Road in Belvedere (mid-1930s - Postcard still needing to be scanned) --
R29-Station_Road-Belvedere-(mid1930s)-(Postcard-Enlarged).JPG

V44 at Surbiton Station --
Surbiton_Station_Box-V44(Postcard)-Orig.JPG

A couple of photos of R38 at Beresford Square in Woolwich (c1960) --
Beresford_Square_Post-R38-(1960s)-Med.jpg
Beresford_Square_Post-R38-(1960s)-Orig-Closeup.JPG
Beresford_Square_Post-R38-(c1960)-Orig.jpg
Beresford_Square_Post-R38-(c1960)-Orig-Blowup.JPG

A52 at the Charing Cross Station Entrance on the Victoria Embankment (c1948 just before being moved around the building's corner to where we see it in the other photos we have) --
A52-VictoriaEmbankmentBox-Aug1948.jpg

T50 at Ealing Common (20 August 1947) --
T50-EalingCommonBox-20Aug1947.jpg

Various shots of the Piccadilly Circus Post (C61) not previously posted --
(October 1953)
C61-PiccadillyCircusPost-Oct1953.jpg
(8 January 1954)
C61-PiccadillyCircusPost-8Jan1954.jpg
(12 May 1954)
C61-PiccadillyCircusPost-12May1954.jpg

A Press Photo I still have to scan of an early type City of London Post (No. 13 on Ludgate Hill) being installed on 24 September 1933 --
CoL13-LudgateHillPost-24Sep1933-(PressPhoto).JPG
Note that the phone is the type that served as inspiration for the Eccelston/Tennant TARDIS phone.

Another of the Chiswick Roundabout Box (T42) - this time at opening weekend of the Flyover --
Chiswick_Roundabout_Box-T42-(FlyoverOpeningWeek).JPG

I also have literally dozens of Glasgow Box pics to post, along with info on a few discoveries I've found along the way. For instance, there was a fourth type of Box installed at a few locations (counting the two variations of the Trench type Box as one). Beside the two earlier cast iron designs, these alternate types were installed right along with the Trench patterned boxes in 1933. A most unexpected discovery!

Here's a look at the one at Bridgeton Cross (C4) that wasn't replaced by a Trench model until the late 1950s --
BridgetonCross-EarlierBoxEarlyPic-Big.JPG

A blowup (the Box is on the right - structure on the left is a Tram manual switching tower and stands where the Trench Box was placed in the 1950s) --
BridgetonCross-EarlierBoxEarlyPic-Blowup.JPG

Here's another at St. Enoch Square (A22) --
St Enoch Square - Blowup.JPG
Again on the right. If this one was ever replaced, it wasn't until the Box site was moved due to the Underground Station's renovation in 1979.

I've found a few more, along with some of the earlier cast iron types at various locations. Obviously I'll have to get back to updating Glasgow in the not too distant future.

Then there's the early type Metropolitan Police Telephone Boxes. I've got quite a few pictures of them now, including this one at the Manor House Entrance to Finsbury Park (N8) circa 1905 --
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-EarlyBox-c1905(perSite)-Cleaner.jpg

A blowup --
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-EarlyBox-c1905(perSite)-Cleaner-FullSize-Blowup.JPG

And the concrete Metbox that replaced it --
(1940s) --
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-c1940s.jpg
(1950s) --
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-c1950s-MedRes.jpg
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-c1950s-HiResCloseup.JPG
(1955) --
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8-1955.jpg
ManorHouseBox-FinsburyPark-N8--1955-Blowup.JPG

And like this eerie picture of what became V57 at Tibbet's Corner on the Wimbledon Common/Putney Heath --
V57-Tibbets_Corner_Box-c1910(EarlyTypeBox-Postcard).JPG

And finally there is my most astounding discovery of all...

But that will have to wait for later ;D

OK, OK, I'll give a hint - The Topic to be posted in the History section should perhaps be named something like "Raiders of the Lost Prototypes"  8)

Spoiler
They've been found!
[close]
:o

Have a great Holiday Season everybody - and a Fantastic 2014!!!

petewilson

Some great Photo's there Alan.....
Particularly Like the London Transport Museum Photos and that postcard went for over £22 plus p&p!!
Look forward to the "Missing Prototype"   ::)

all the best for 2014,

Pete

hb88banzai

Jan 05, 2014, 01:26 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2014, 01:31 pm by hb88banzai
Article on the hunt for the prototypes posted here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5113.0

Discussion for the article is here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5117.0

Happy New Year!

;D