g5u4.jpg
yxan.jpg
bxai.jpg
80a5.jpg
vuqk.jpg
i3vl.jpg
vx4n.jpg
m508.jpg

Hopefully the prop will surface at the Experience, granting further reference.

blackbird

Nov 30, 2013, 03:28 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2013, 02:56 pm by blackbird
I created a thread at theRPF about the different props from the 50th Anniversary Special.  There are some more shots of the box there, and I'm sure there will be further discussion about the prop itself as the thread grows.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-prop-discussion-thread-200861/

Here's a good shot of one of the lesser seen sides (thanks to davidangel from the RPF for this image):
p01m3g39_zps31f1ded2.jpg

There's a side we don't ever see during the show (at least I don't think so).  We think it may be visible on the packaging to the War Doctor's sonic.
other-doctor-sonic580_zpsbea967b0.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 01, 2013, 05:39 am #2 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2013, 05:56 am by galacticprobe
Here's that 16-segmented side, lightened, enlarged, and sharpened as much as I could get it. It makes it a little easier to see some of those symbols on that side.

(And just in case, to be safe:)
Spoiler
TheMonent-FarSide.jpg
[close]

Judging from this, and the clearer, close-ups of the top two row seen in Kingpins grabs, some of those symbols look like a few of the ones on top of the TARDIS console column's whirligig. A few others look like some of those that were on the yellow stickies around the 2005 Console monitor and a few other places on that console. Still others look like random symbols that we've seen in other places. (I guess you've got to mix things up a little bit to stop people - like us ;) - from noticing that symbols are straight copies.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

Here's the texture I used for my 3D model. Most were from the thread here. A few from the DVD cover of the complete 7 seasons collection.

[attachid]the_moment.jpg[/attach]the_moment2.jpg

Kingpin

Some nice sole has scanned the artwork for "The Other Doctor"'s Sonic Screwdriver packaging, giving a closer look at one of the sides we didn't see much of:

v7b2.jpg

And, Christmas has come early:

u02p.jpg

High res, from Rubbertoe's website, so I'm told.

Kingpin

A little jiggery-pokery:

xduj.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 05, 2013, 04:17 pm #6 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2013, 04:17 pm by galacticprobe
Wow! For not having much screen time as props go, this little thing has some seriously intricate detailing and workings on it! Someone went thought a lot of work (and probably a plate glass window) to design and build this prop. As my wife says, "Woooof!"

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

Annoyingly there are Gallifreyen text/patterns (whatever they are known as) behind the cogs and gears.

They'll take some de-coding!

lespaceplie

Apart from the corner hardware, it looks as though this entire prop could be constructed from laser cut materials. Ponoko could certainly provide. The only tricky part might be finding a service to cut the shapes into the 12 edge timbers. All the online ones I know of only handle sheet materials. Any suggestions?

I suppose you could do a deep laser etch onto thinner material that is then adhered to a core piece, but that might cause some alignment issues where the designs meet at 90 degrees on the edges. This one isn't as daunting as it looks. It won't be cheap, though.

blackbird

Dec 05, 2013, 09:31 pm #9 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2013, 09:35 pm by blackbird
To me, the symbols on the edge timbers appear to be stenciled on then burnt with a wood burner.  You can see the discoloration of the wood and stain from the heat, and some of the smaller details and lines look to be drawn or printed on.
Moment08_zps5ace7b76.jpg
You can see what I mean here.  The symbol on the top right, or even the symbol along the side, under the top right corner piece.  The interior detail appears to either be stenciled or drawn on.  It may have a slight recess, maybe from a pen or something, but they're not like the other lines.  You can also see a few places where the prop guys hand got a little wobbly while burning in the pattern, and the one on the side looks like it has some mistakes on it.

I think the corner hardware can be easily and cheaply 3D printed if someone had a good render of it.

galacticprobe

Dec 06, 2013, 04:55 am #10 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
Another method for the corner hardware could be to take some thicker sheet plastic and cut three squares for each corner. Then glue/bond the pieces to the corner and once dried, gently sand the edges to get that round-corner. I've seen half-spheres of wood in craft stores that could then be put onto the corner pieces. Once everything was firmly dry, a little masking of the edges where the "hardware" meets the wood for protection and one would use whatever the method of choice would be - paintbrush, airbrush, spray paint, etc. - to apply a primer and then the silver: perhaps even a matt clear topcoat for extra protection and to give the corner hardware that brushed-metal look.

This might involve a little more "hands-on" work, but it might be less expensive than having 8 of them 3-D printed, not to mention the time it would take to first render it, then have them printed, then cleaned up, and then painted...

In any case, we need dimensions first. Going by John Hurt's hands - and basing this on him having "average-sized" hands - I'd guesstimate the square bits of the corner hardware to be just over an inch square and the domes' diameter being about 5/8th of an inch (with the wood frame being made from 1 x 1s). Also judging by how he carried it when it took it out of the sack, I'm guesstimating it was about a 1-foot cube. (Now I wonder if the Doctor Who web site will put up some of the concept art that might have a few measurements on it to see how close my guesses are.)

Dino.

lespaceplie

Apart from the hemis, those corner caps are probably standard hardware. If not, then they're easy to make of plastic (as just described) or even metal with a little soldering.

I'm not 100% sure about the size of the box overall, but the proportion of the edge timber width to the length of one side (minus corner hardware) is maybe exactly 1:10. I'd assume this is a metric build, too. If it's on the smallish end, it's probably a 300mm cube with 30mm wide edge timbers. For ease of US builds, you could bump it up to 12.5 inches with 1.25" edges.

Kingpin

Purple says he's a good judge of size, so might be worth hitting him up for measurements. :)

That said, the Moment is now on display at the Experience so that provides another source of measurements (and detail shots) - sadly I won't be going to Cardiff anytime soon. :(

starcross

Dec 06, 2013, 10:34 pm #13 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013, 10:38 pm by starcross
Quote from: Kingpin on Nov 30, 2013, 01:51 pm
Hopefully the prop will surface at the Experience, granting further reference.

I located a picture on Flickr and it looks like the screen side is visible. Its a pity they have it at an angle, it will be hard to get nice flat side view photos for reference that way. The side that is hidden is the Symbol tray side, but I think the reference for that is quite clear anyway.

11230182145_d85e008da3_z.jpgSource

dowdc3.jpgSource - RPF thread

galacticprobe

Dec 07, 2013, 03:53 pm #14 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2013, 03:54 pm by galacticprobe
Like I said: an awful lot of intricate detail and hard work went into making this prop. It's a shame The Moment didn't get more screen time.

Dino.