Apr 19, 2024, 09:04 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Day of the Doctor: TOM'S tardis ? : Undergallery

Started by warmcanofcoke, Nov 27, 2013, 12:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Nov 27, 2013, 12:45 am Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015, 10:41 pm by Tardis Builders
I'd like to think this is relevant. Though unconfirmed, this is probably a room in the TARDIS. From Day of the Doctor  
TomsTardis001_zpsad5b1868.png
TomsTardis002_zpscb506e21.png
TomsTardis003_zps65fb4333.png
TomsTardis004_zps21c01cef.png
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

kiwidoc

Interesting - I had thought (and still do, but could be convinced perhaps...) that this is a room at the National Gallery or Tower of London.   the same flooring was seen earlier. The TARDIS would be unlikely to land inside of itself, let alone 3 of them doing it.  The hex/roundals are interesting though!   and it does beg the question of where that image of Gallifrey Falls No More is actually being hung - wouldn't have thought the Doc would want to leave it behind in Human hands but...

hobbitdude13

See I thought that too. But if that is the future Doctor (in his 4th body for whatever reason), than how does he end up buried on Trenzalore? Unless he changes his history/future/present to where he DOESN'T die on Trenzalore. Which TDOTD showed that it takes all 13 (!) of him to change his personal history/future/present.

warmcanofcoke

Nov 27, 2013, 12:54 am #3 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013, 12:56 am by warmcanofcoke
I suspect that that is the reason the Tower is TARDIS proof - It already is a Tardis.
Spoiler
day-of-the-doctor-tom-baker_zps0ddbc959.jpg
[close]

hobbitdude13

He hides the TARDIS as the Tower of London? That'd take one heck of a chameleon circuit.

Since the Christmas Special will also be set on Trenzalore, I wonder how they'll explain his "final" death. Does he end up on Trenzalore 3 times?
In either case, keeping the Curator an ambiguous character was a brilliant scene. I never want Doctor Who to end, but I'd rather it end with him retiring as opposed to dying in battle.

10 did say "Never say nothing."

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: hobbitdude13 on Nov 27, 2013, 12:58 am
He hides the TARDIS as the Tower of London? That'd take one heck of a chameleon circuit.

While I don't really feel a need to explain the inexplicable - its less fun to explain the inexplicable - I'd rather it remained inexplicable .... however Those who saw Terminus now that the Tardis can seek out other locations and create a doorway .... perhaps behind a painting there is a door from the tower into the Tardis Gallery.

kiwidoc

Nov 27, 2013, 02:00 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013, 03:25 am by kiwidoc
Actually, just nipped back and watch that scene over and there is an establishing shot of The National Gallery at the start of it, but MOffat has been known to be sneakier than that before so Who Knows...     ::)

galacticprobe

Nov 27, 2013, 06:46 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013, 06:47 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: hobbitdude13 on Nov 27, 2013, 12:58 am
...keeping the Curator an ambiguous character was a brilliant scene.

Maybe not quite so ambiguous.
Spoiler
When the TARDIS gets dropped at the National Gallery, the 11th Doctor says to the asthmatic girl wearing the 4th Doctor's scarf, "Nice scarf", and she says that "the Curator" gave it to her.
[close]
Still ambiguous, but not so much.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Aug 18, 2016, 07:21 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 05:32 am by galacticprobe
I was watching the old 1970s short-lived series 'The Starlost' (you can find all the episodes on YouTube if anyone remembers it, or wants to check it out), and in one of the episodes I saw something that made me think of the Undergallery from "The Day of the Doctor". Take a look at the walls on this set and tell me if the "roundels" on the Undergallery wall (seen in the first post above) might have been inspired by this. (Maybe someone was a fan of 'The Starlost' and thought this would fit right in with 'Doctor Who', and would be a way of giving a nod to the long, mostly forgotten series.)

StarLost-TARDISwalls-01.jpg
And it this grab isn't enough to make you think...

StarLost-TARDISwalls-02.jpg

I haven't finished watching the entire series yet, but so far I've seen actors in it from "2001: A Space Odyssey" (Keir Dullea, one of the leads), 'Star Trek' and 'Battlestar Galactica' (the originals - John Colicos: Kor in 'Trek' and Baltar in 'Galactica'), and 'Space: 1999' (Barry Morse). Still looking for any 'Doctor Who' actors, but haven't seen any yet.

But what about those walls? :)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

I think it's the other way round Dino - the designers of "The Starlost" have been 'cribbing' ideas from Peter Brachacki!

BTW, I think you mean Barry Morse rather than Marry Morse!  ;)

T

handofomega

Dino I am not sure if you are an Agents of Shield fan but they have some very TARDISy walls in this past season on one of their sets.   More hexagonals than roundels though.   IN fact the room on the show inspired me to do a virtual build.   It is in just the beginning stages at the moment.   But these two images will give you an idea...

roundel2skpa_zpsrbpoze9j.jpg

roundel2skpb_zpsuosderxp.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 19, 2016, 05:41 am #11 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Aug 18, 2016, 11:44 am
I think it's the other way round Dino - the designers of "The Starlost" have been 'cribbing' ideas from Peter Brachacki!

Normally I would agree with you on this, Tony, but unless it's one of those wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... things, 'The Starlost' aired in 1973, and that wall "hexagon-roundel" pattern didn't appear on 'Doctor Who''s walls until the 50th Anniversary Special in 2013. That's 40 years later. 'The Starlost' was a Canadian production, and like many other SF shows of the time no doubt "cribbed" some things from 'Doctor Who', but in this case it looks like those walls in 'The Starlost''s Space Ark's Medical Center might have been the inspiration for the wall decor we saw in the Undergallery.

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Aug 18, 2016, 11:44 am
BTW, I think you mean Barry Morse rather than Marry Morse!  ;)

Yes... yes, I did. Fat fingered the keys plus someone that really can't type all that well (that would be me) and you get typos like that. (Previous posted edited to correct the error, so thanks for pointing that out.)

Quote from: handofomega on Aug 18, 2016, 06:38 pm
Dino I am not sure if you are an Agents of Shield fan but they have some very TARDISy walls in this past season on one of their sets.  

I'm not really a fan of that one, but my son is. I'll have to ask him about that since he's also a 'Whovian', and see if he's noticed the similarities or not. (Nice render, btw; I'd paint my hallway like that if the wife would let me!)

Dino.