Apr 20, 2024, 04:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Making the boxes first?

Started by hallam, Oct 25, 2013, 12:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hallam

Oct 25, 2013, 12:09 am Last Edit: Oct 26, 2013, 12:26 am by mechanoid
I have just started my 2010 build and have two corner posts glued up and the others cut to size with biscuit holes all cut.

I would like to tackle the sign boxes and the floor next. Since four corner posts, a floor and the sign boxes make a recognizable TARDIS for the 50th anniversary celebration party even without the doors and sides.

But the problem with that approach is that I don't have my signs to go in them. So I need to have a way to add the signs after making the boxes rather than cutting a kerf in the sign box and slotting the sign into the kerf.

One approach would be to cut the sign to the exact inner dimensions of the sign box and fit it in from the front. Another would be to add a ledge round the edge for it to butt up against.

Any ideas?

DoctorWho8

Maybe this illustration might help how to approach the sign boxes?  It's not to scale.
TopSignsContruction.jpg
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

evil bob

I did what Bill said.  I just left off the end piece until the box was painted and the sign was put in.

newpic102.jpg

Oor Wullie

Very similar to what I'm planning but I think my plexi signs will sit more central, over the doors with infill blocks either side. Still waiting on the vinyl to arrive to know for sure.