Jul 22, 2024, 07:14 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mobile TARDIS build - BC style

Started by DTrasler Writing, Sep 01, 2023, 10:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DTrasler Writing

Thanks Russell and Volpone!

Can I post a link to our YouTube video here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn25_BdKz8

If not, let me know and I'll take it down.

ThisJustinOnline

Your TARDIS came out fantastic! Too be honest most wouldn't know how to react to a true full scale one, they are quite big. But how fun! The benefit of being able to move it around is so much more fun than a static one anyway...I say as someone building a new one this summer (a stones throw from you).

We are also doing WA Summer Con, so maybe will see you there! Fan Expo, unfortunately, is always during Gallifrey One, and we head there!

DTrasler Writing

It would be lovely to meet up during Washington Summer Con - right now I'm thinking we just bring the dalek, since I'm not sure what bringing a rental van across the border would involve...

ThisJustinOnline

Only thing I have usually experienced at the border when geeky stuff is involved is usually a direct pass lol.

alistair

Quote from: DTrasler Writing on Feb 26, 2024, 08:33 pmThanks Russell and Volpone!

Can I post a link to our YouTube video here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn25_BdKz8

If not, let me know and I'll take it down.

Looks like you had a fantastic day! One thought on the TARDIS: could you extend the base down to hide the casters and make it look more like it's floating, as you've done with Derek?

DTrasler Writing

Thanks Alistair,
Yes, it's something I'm thinking about. If I get the new, larger casters, I can mount them further in, and add a curtain - either wood (which may chip and catch on small obstacles) or foam, which should deform if bashed and can be easily repaired.

DTrasler Writing

Ha ha!A trip to Home Depot for unimportant things (ie, not Tardis related) reveals these 3 inch casters for only $11 each! I'll have to mount them in a little more if I'm going to have some kind of cover in front, but they'll roll better!
62.jpg

DTrasler Writing

Having successfully negotiated the upgrade to the raised beds, I had some time to myself and the sun was still shining. I brought out the base of the Tardis and removed the old wheels. I moved the new ones inward as much as I could so they wouldn't bash the sides, and then added a 1 1/2 inch skirt all around the base. I did leave a gap for the tow rope to go through at the front.They're glued in place for the moment, but I'll reinforce that with screws a little later. Still haven't decided if we're taking the Tardis to the Washington State Summer Con. I'd like to, but taking both Tardis and Dalek is soooo complicated.
63.jpg

64.jpg

DTrasler Writing

It's been a long time since I've had any updates to post, mostly because I haven't had time for Tardising. It looks an almost certainty that we'll skip Washington State Summer Con. They have a great roster of guests, but no Whovian ones, so it's a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that's closed, as Bill Bailey put it. Nonetheless, today was a day off, with no tasks left by Mrs Dim, so I decided to tackle a few of the things I've been thinking of doing "when I get the time". And now I've finished the ironing, I got to do some Tardis work.

The foam side pieces are ok,but they're not very robust, and compared to the front and the back, they come off as quite two dimensional. Mainly because they ARE two dimensional. Trouble is, getting enough ply to replace both sides is an expense I can't justify right now - Mrs Dim moved all kinds of things around in the budget to replace my ailing 3d printer, even though it contributes nothing to the household except my happiness. I can't repay that with more spending. Luckily, I found two panels in my wood store that might make ONE side, and that's enough to be going on with. First, bolt 'em together:
65.jpg
Next I cut out the windows, and started assembling pieces to make the details for the panels.
66.jpg
I don't like doing this as piece work, but A: I don't have another option and B: It's the side panels, who's going to notice?

I'd like to say that I'm going to re-wire the damaged LEDs today too, but I'm really not. For one thing, I can't find the lead that got pulled out, and for another, any type of electrics is a risk. I've just operated three different power tools in succession without injury. I should take the win and move on...

DTrasler Writing

It's been a really long time since I tried to move the Tardis side wall on at all, but today was one of the rare Saturdays when my wife didn't have any little jobs for me at all. So, after I had gone to help her move a bunch of junk out of our kid's apartment, I settled down and made the last pieces to go on. It's ugly, but I've done my best to smooth out the worst bits, and it'll look better when it's painted up.

I still have to sort out the underfloor LEDs, but at this point I think it's best to just pick up a new set. Maybe sometime over the summer I'll find an excuse to get the ply needed to make the right hand side wall, and then the whole thing will be wooden - except for the roof, which is part wood, part corrugated plastic.
67.jpg

DTrasler Writing

No new updates on stuff I've done, just wanted to note down my ridiculously ambitious plans.

When I make the other wooden side panel, it's going to be piano-hinged down the middle, so it can open like an American phone booth door. This will allow me to enter and exit more gracefully, since the ACTUAL door is too narrow for my manly chest and my slightly less manly stomach.

I'm also planning on 3d printing just the letters for the POLICE BOX signs. Then I will mount those letters in black foam core board. Since the letters will be printed from white PLA, they'll let light through from the LED strips behind. It's a great plan that is almost certain to work once I get the hang of designing the letters in Blender, exporting the files to my printer and getting the size right.

I have replacement LED strips for the base of the Tardis, but they need an actual plug, not a USB connection. So I can't use my usual phone power banks. I have to get a a laptop power bank that has an actual plug socket in it. That's gone on my birthday list, because it's $130. Current cash on hand is...

*Checks pockets*

...$2.50.

Meanwhile, work continues apace on Halloween prep, since I have to make a life-size dragon, two more treasure chests and, obviously, a lot of treasure. Luckily the family have pitched in to help by pointing out where I'm doing it wrong.

The bright spot is that I don't think there's an event where I can showcase the Tardis again until next February. My urge to travel outside Canada is low (and I have a family visit to the UK next month) and there aren't any local events until Fan Expos Vancouver 2025. We need a better plan than this year's one. And I need to remember to pay for parking for the van. $90 is a lot for a day's parking.

DTrasler Writing

Making progress with the new sign, but experiments with holding it up to the light shows leakage around the letters because I'm too impatient and hamfisted to do a decent job of cutting out the shapes. Grr!

68.jpg