Apr 18, 2024, 12:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005-2014 NST - Tennant/Smith Hybrid

Started by liamstringer42, Oct 13, 2013, 03:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

liamstringer42

Oct 13, 2013, 03:53 pm Last Edit: Oct 05, 2014, 10:04 pm by liamstringer42
Been wanting to build a TARDIS since I was 8 and started to watch the show. Over a few years my Dad always told me that we would build one. But we finally decided to start now. We are using the 2005 NST Plans but we are using the 2010 NST Matt Smith detail including the different shade of blue, the different lamp, and the St. Johns Ambulance Sticker. Construction will be spread out over a year. But it will get done. Authentically:)
-Liam

galacticprobe

Oct 14, 2013, 05:19 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2013, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
Check out our http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=77.0 section. Bill "The Doctor" Rudloff (a.k.a. DoctorWho8) has drawn up PDF versions of the 2005 TARDIS plans. The 2010 TARDIS follows the same dimensions, with slight alterations in the base and lamp on top (aside from the new paint job).

Also in there (I think in the 2005 thread, if not let us know and one of us will hunt down the link) are the original plans for the 2005 TARDIS, complete with detailed measurements, that are on display at the Doctor Who Experience. So between those, Bill's PDFs, and the 2010 plans, you should be able to do a great build.

And I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we wish your dad the best, and that he continues on with his recovery. We wish you luck in everything.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Hear hear!  We're here to help, just let us know where you want to start  :)

liamstringer42

Oct 14, 2013, 02:42 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2013, 02:42 pm by liamstringer42
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 14, 2013, 05:19 am
Check out our http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=77.0 section. Bill "The Doctor" Rudloff (a.k.a. DoctorWho8) has drawn up PDF versions of the 2005 TARDIS plans. The 2010 TARDIS follows the same dimensions, with slight alterations in the base and lamp on top (aside from the new paint job).

Also in there (I think in the 2005 thread, if not let us know and one of us will hunt down the link) are the original plans for the 2005 TARDIS, complete with detailed measurements, that are on display at the Doctor Who Experience. So between those, Bill's PDFs, and the 2010 plans, you should be able to do a great build.

I went to the 2010 - 2013 Plans section and only found the plans (with measurements for the 2005 - 2010 (eccleston
And I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we wish your dad the best, and that he continues on with his recovery. We wish you luck in everything.

Dino.
I went to the 2010 - 2013 Plans section and only found the plans (with measurements for the 2005 - 2010 (eccleston/tenant). Should I just use the 2005 plans and then use the 2010 lamp and add the St. John's symbol.. And of course the 2013 paint job...?
-Liam

DoctorWho8

If you add about 1 1/2"-2" to the corner post widths, 3"-4" to the width of the base, and about 3" to the height of the base, that will pretty much give you the proper 2010 to present look.  Just make sure to use my Dropbox link from earlier this year as they are the current plans.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

liamstringer42

Would it be okay to use the 2005 plans with the 2010 lamp and paint job + the st. johns ambulance symbol? Instead of adding measurements?
-Liam

DoctorWho8

Yes.  You can look up EvilBob's TARDIS build as that's what he did for his.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

liamstringer42

November 3rd, 2013

Went to my Uncle's workshop yesterday and we picked up the wood from Home Depot. We've decided to use chemically treated wood for the base to prevent rotting when it's set on grass. The beauty of it is it can be set on any surface. But the only down part is that it takes a year to fully dry before being painted. We started by looking at the plans/dimensions and started cutting our 2x4's down to size. We picture framed the base and put support beams across it. Finally after 2 hours of planning and building we set in the final piece of the base. The floor! I'm currently still waiting to hear from my Uncle for the next construction date at his workshop:)

- Liam

Our Building Materials! photo 1.JPG

My Uncles Beautiful Workshop photo 2.JPG

Picture Framed Base Construction photo 3.JPG

Final Result! photo 4.JPG
-Liam

liamstringer42

Dec 10, 2013, 11:41 pm #8 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2013, 11:52 pm by liamstringer42
December 10th, 2013

Corner posts were built a couple weeks back. Just today have we finished sanding them. They truly are remarkable. Meanwhile we have decided on our color for our build. Behr (Home Depot) Sapphire Lace. Pretty close match for Matt Smith box.

-Liamphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGtardiscolor.jpg
-Liam

liamstringer42

Greetings fellow Whovians. Me and my Father started construction on our TARDIS build about 11 months ago. My Father's terminal bone cancer has slowly progressed over that time which made it hard for me to both work on the TARDIS and Update my Build Diary. However, in that time we finished a majority of the project. We finished the floor, corner posts, walls, doors, and roof in that time. And I am both proud and relieved that it is FINALLY almost complete. All that's left is to order the black and white plexi-glass for the windows, build the window trim, build the frame for the Pull To Open sign, and to install the top light and other lighting needed.

photo.JPG
-Liam

liamstringer42

Never realized how big it actually is all put together and fully constructed.

photo (1).JPG
-Liam

liamstringer42

Got the Saint John's Ambulance sticker today.

photo (2).JPG
-Liam

galacticprobe

Oct 06, 2014, 05:10 am #12 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2014, 05:12 am by galacticprobe
She's looking really nice! And I love that color. I used to have a 1972 VW Karmann Ghia in that color. In fact, when I no longer had the car, but still had a bit of the touch-up paint left in the little "eyelash brush" bottle, I thinned it out and used it to paint my little "Sexy Thing" that I'd bodged together from a scrap of 4 x 4 post, some cardboard, construction paper, and a few other scraps of stuff. (She's got some photos of her in the Model TARDIS Build Diaries, looking a little beat up after spending 10 years as a captive in The Evil One's closet!)

And where did you get your St. John's sticker? (I gave some high-res graphics I created for it to one of our members, who in turn sent it off to a company to get turned into stickers. So I always ask where the stickers come from because I get a huge smile when I find that one of my graphics is helping to complete someone's build.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

liamstringer42

Had it made at a local sign shop, along with the Pull To Open sign, and the top signs.
~ The 16 year old time traveler.
-Liam

Volpone

Yup, it's funny, how you can look at plans, look at the lumber, even look at parts that are being assembled, and it still doesn't register how big it is until you start bolting everything together. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.