Apr 24, 2024, 02:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

US Commercial Paint Choices

Started by MadZell, Oct 11, 2013, 12:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MadZell

Ok.. I know this has been asked...answered, asked... answered again... asked again.. answered again.  AND frankly I am still confused.  I am at the point in my build I need to start getting things painted, but i have yet to choose a color.  In know that I can pick any color that pleases me, and that is fine and dandy, but getting as close as possible to the Pantone 2955C, as i can is what I am shooting for.  Lowes, Sherwin Williams, and Home Depot are my choices to do so.  Problems is, Pantone uses a CLEAR base for their paint which makes Lowes, Depot and Sherwin hard matches since all use a white base, in fact everyone uses a white base.

SO my question is, who has gotten an off the shelf color close to the Pantone 2955c, and do you know the name and or paint code or mixture code including the base it was mixed with, that would be willing to help me out with that.

Thanks Folks

Discuss away
There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're clever, if you're smart, if you value your continuing existence, if you ever want to live to seem tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap. ME!

galacticprobe

Oct 11, 2013, 05:52 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2013, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Interesting. I never knew that Pantone used a clear base. So here's another question (mainly for any professional painters we may have amongst us): what would happen if someone took an acrylic-based - or even an oil-based if that would be better - clear coat (be it gloss, semi-gloss, satin, or matt finish), and used that to mix in the dribbles of color that the Pantone code calls for?

Would that even work? If so, that could be a viable option for quite a few people.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

TWX

I printed the color from Pantone's website and took it into Lowes, got it scanned, and then had paint produced in that color.

I've documented the Lowes color code that they generated from the scan and taken several photos of how it looks in outdoor daylight and posted them on my completed build thread.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4976.msg57963

Best I could come up with.  Like you, I struggled to find the right color, and I am very disappointed that even the great and vaunted Dunn Edwards couldn't take an RGB or CYMK color code and turn it into a paint color.