New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s costumes

Started by museumdave, Oct 02, 2013, 04:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Oct 02, 2013, 04:17 am Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 04:31 am by museumdave
building/collecting a variety of costumes for time travel

Greeting fellow time travellers,

I should likely start with a bit of an apology.  I have already started a thread about costumes, but that started with painting a tie.  I thought before it spun further away from its origins I would start a second, that is ore of a catch all.  I have been working on a few costumes.  I feel at this point I have a reasonable 11th doctor (more on that one later)  we have the prerequisite scarf hat and long coat for a rough 4th doctor and the 10th doctor is coming along.  
Recently I have been tying to spruce up my costume of the Hartnell doctor.  I was luck enough to find a proper tie at a local charity shop- so I can retire the old ribbon (yippee)

I had a simple grey vest/waist coat, but was looking for something closer to the screen used one.  
I LOVE Celations hand embroidered one, but that level of piece is not one the books quite yet.

I did how ever find an interesting vest on eBay.  It is a little snug, but I think I can cheat it out a little.  This is what the piece looked like as receivedvest.jpg

With a little bit of messing about with a permanent marker we have this- and yes marker is cheesy, but it what it is for now.vest after.jpg

and with the tie

doc1 vest +tie.jpg

So here is how it scans on the ol' potato sack
doc1.jpgdoc1-2.jpg.

I am reasonable happy with this. Once I make a little bit of room inside the vest, I am thinking this will be my go to costume for "Reversed Polarities" the upcoming Toronto con.

I also wanted to share a couple more pieces to go with the 10th doctor costume.

we of course have the flower lay, the straw hat and shades
10 accessories.jpg

But I also found a great little addition to my brainy specs.  As a Halloween costume accessory a shop was selling 'steam punk monocle' for about $7 - the are not monocles, but the jewelers/watchmakers clip on magnifiers.

specs.jpg
pretty good buy I thought!

Lastly I picked up another tie for a 10 costume.  It is not one that Tennant wore, but it still really looks the part to me.tie.jpg

Anyhow, that is all for now,

thanks for looking
and cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2013, 05:58 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 05:58 am by galacticprobe
Nice fine on the vest/waistcoat, M.D.! And nice work with that marker. (Cheesy, you say? Remember Murphy's 2nd Law of Combat: "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." ;) ;D)

That waistcoat looks really good, and in all honesty the fit isn't that bad. Granted, there is one button that looks like it's yelling for mercy ;), but other than that, it's fine and definitely looks the part!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Looking good Dave. Just a thought, If you match the light blue and make the lines thicker and then paint over the brown with a dark TARDIS blue, you'd have a Tennant Tie :)

BioDoctor900

Volpone

Yeah, you got a really nice look on the vest. Back when I first did my TARDIS, I glued cheap styrofoam plates to the interior.  You'd think that would look horrible, but it photographed REALLY well and even in person it looked dead-on until you got closer than 5 feet or so. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

kiwidoc

Oh, very good!   Such a simple answer to the Hartnell vest which looks just so right!   I'm also a big fan of the optician clip-on lenses as seen in Sound of Drums-  brilliant!

museumdave

Dec 29, 2015, 03:44 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015, 03:53 am by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travelers,

Want to start by wishing a very happy holiday season to all.  
Also want to share a gift from my wonderful daughters.  It seems a bit of a cliche to give ones father a tie at Christmas, but I feel like my kids did well.  I was given this lovely bow tie (they tell me bow ties are cool, but I still have my doubts).
tietable.JPG

It is a dark purple, though the colour doesn't look quite right on my computer monitor.  It is not an official 50th anniversary tie, but looks quite similar to my eye.  It am in a lovely little box.
newtiebox.JPG
I feel it does the job reasonably well to complete that particular doctor look.  I don't want to go on too long, but I felt that perhaps some of my T.B. friends might be interested.

Please excuse the ramblings of this proud and grateful  father.  Have a wonderful 2016 and many more Who filled New Years
to come!

newtielook.JPG

Be well and thanks for looking

Cheers
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Dec 29, 2015, 05:46 am #6 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
I think that bow tie does the job extremely well, M.D.! You have every right to be proud; it's a fitting tie for any occasion. (And I've always thought bow ties were cool even before they were "cool" - so did the 2nd and 3rd Doctors - and I've got a growing collection of them. So make that hop over the fence to our "Bow Tie" side! ;) ;D)

And may you and yours have a very safe and Happy New Year as well!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"