News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

kingbees build help?

Started by chriskingbees, May 18, 2006, 03:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

Jun 14, 2006, 08:51 pm #60 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:03 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Many, many thanks for the migraine tips I'll try anything to escape this.
Glad the roof meets with approval, as Kars says what a difference a new lens makes. Here's todays progress;

lampstuds2.jpg

The studding has nuts on the underside of the plate and the cavaties they sit in are filled with epoxy resin so they won't move when I eventually tighten the top nuts. The light fitting has a brass threaded tube underneath going through the plate fo the cable. This is effectively the only hole to the inside on the entire roof.

lampfilled.jpg

Here, as recommended by my son, I've cut a larger dome and it is stuck in place using the hotmelt gluegun and filled to the top plate.

lettherebelight.jpg

Just for good measure "Let there be light"
All the top is now complete and primed. The precious fresnel is now packed away and won't come out 'till the last moment.
Many thanks
KB

Mark

Jun 14, 2006, 09:16 pm #61 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:03 pm by scarfwearer
You've given up Cheese-on-toast ironage!!! That would kill me!!

KB, your lamp assembly looks really good. Will your box be living next to your son's box?

Doctor Iz

Jun 15, 2006, 02:32 am #62 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:03 pm by scarfwearer
KB,

Your light/fresnel looks great.
I can't wait to get to that point on my build.
Keep up the good work.
I am eager to see your completed TARDIS

Cheers,
Jon
:D
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

chriskingbees

Jun 15, 2006, 08:15 pm #63 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:03 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Again thanks for the positive feedback. Today I join the "What colour discussion". As said elsewhere by many of you fine people it's what is right for the individual that counts. For myself I'm heading in met box direction so dark is right for me. This is B&Q colours range Navy

navytest.jpg
Just an excuse for the "Blue paint moment" really

I've also given the back panel a couple of coats of primer-

primedback.jpg

-and learned a few things too;
Don't overdo the filler it looks fine when applied but is a b****** to sand down afterwards.
Don't let the ply get wet, the water will get under the layers and cause it to lift hence I've had to do some repairs. I wasn't going for a weathered or textured look at first but this decision has been made for me.

Lastly. Mark, regretably the tardis won't actually be next to the K6 as that's at the bottom of the garden and slightly vulnerable to the public as we back on to the recreation ground. I'll post a pic of this tomorrow if I can find one
Many thanks
KB

chriskingbees

Jun 17, 2006, 07:31 pm #64 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:04 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Everybody
What a difference detailing makes;

detailing.jpg

and the panel is ready;

panelready.jpg

And now on to the phone panel. My son has printed out the text  using perpetua font and reversed it;

phonepaneltaestsheets.jpg

The reverse sheet is taped in position on the glass, and the reverse decals are sprayed with 3 coats of acryllic varnish to seal the ink;

revdecals.jpg

The steady hand of Mrs KB (Hereafter refered to as Carole) slides the first transfer into position;

decalsgoingon.jpg

All decals are applied and allowed to dry;

decalson.jpg

A coat of oil base primer is applied to the glass over the transfers;

coatofpaint.jpg

And voila! It's not quite perfect as the acryllic varnish is slighly uneven but not too bad for our first attempt;

newpanel.jpg

I'm onto the two side panels now and the methodology is the as  same before so won't bore you with pics
Many thanks
KB

mantamatt

Jun 02, 2006, 10:06 am #65 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:05 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for the msg on my thread, CKB.

Been reading your build thread with interest. Good luck with the rest of your build hope you don't get any more nasty surprises

So you're in a rock n' roll band, my board name is the name of my Band 'The Mantawrays'. At the moment we only have a myspace site www.myspace.com/mantawrays - you should check it out you might like it, we play instrumental rock and roll and surf music.

PS> glass is fixed, now signboxes are broke! (but am ISOfixing!). My advice to you is to Isoflex as much as possible!

cyberleader1991

Jun 13, 2006, 10:55 pm #66 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:07 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: driz board=build thread=1147967160 post=1150235252Migraine headaches, no fun!  Watch the caffeine, chocholate, redwines, doritos, fritos etc and anything with MSG.  This might help you cut down on your attacks.  Hey what do I know, I am just a doctor! Jon :-/

I'm pretty certain mine (which I only get every two years, thank god) are triggered by barometric pressure

T

TG

Jun 14, 2006, 07:24 am #67 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:08 pm by scarfwearer
KB, Your roof looks very very nice with your new fresnel lens!

Doctor Iz

Jun 17, 2006, 08:08 pm #68 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
KB - your signage looks great.
You are really coming along with your build.
The details do make it worth while.

Cheers,
Jon ;)
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

TG

Jun 17, 2006, 09:11 pm #69 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
Your signage is looking wonderful KB!  :D
It looks just like my 'pull to open' sign but it is hand made, which adds a lot (and it didn't cost £12.50 +vat like my one did!)

And the panel looks lovely and very smooth. It looks like you've spent some time filling and sanding it.
I had thought (on my build) that a coat of paint would cover a multitude of imperfections But it just shows them up!! :o - what's that all about? (I got so depressed, I've bought an electric sander - I'll try not to blow it up).

I can see I'm being overtaken  :-[

TG

Mark

Jun 17, 2006, 11:55 pm #70 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
I'm liking the sign KB.

I'm particuarly impressed with the build method, it's something I never even thought of but I may have to borrow your idea.

Are you preparing you "Police Box" signs in a similar way?

chriskingbees

Jun 18, 2006, 07:56 pm #71 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:12 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Everybody
First; TG, watch the electric sander it'll have a mind of it's own. Actually I blew mine up cos it was a little triangular thing and I just pushed it too hard on that big panel.
and Mark, Wow! to think I came here to find help and guidance and now people are considering adopting  my methods, I am truly honoured, many thanks. That's what's great about this place, in a world where everything is turned into competition, even sitting in a house, here everybody helps and encourages each other.I'll certainly stay long after the build is complete.
On that subject; Completed the 2nd side today it is 3" narrower than the back panel to allow for overlap. Big daddy is in the background;

2ndside.jpg

Got fed up all the little trapezoids (I know they're rectangles really but they're trapezoids all the same so I built a great big one, which is probably a rhombus I suppose, for the base plinth. I've allowed 1 1/2" overlap all round as diagram doesn't specify;

plinth.jpg

Now a stroke of luck, Refurbished B&Qs don't stock Isoflex but offered me the Cuprinol version in a great big tin for £20ish, so I decided to wait. On the way home Carole wanted to visit a craft fair in Lingfield village. I roamed the 6 or so shops including a DIY. Didn't stock Isoflex but found one tin of Cuprinol version, the same size as the one in as B&Q. Faded price ticket, not in the catalogue, phoned the manager, didn't know, so the girl says"How does £3.99 sound?". Ok says I and man it's hard to apply. It really is liquid rubber. Painted on at 2 o' clock, just drying now.

blackgoo.jpg
It's great stuff for the price! and yeah the lawn needs cutting but the mower's buried under all  wood heh heh!
Many thanks
KB

chriskingbees

Jun 19, 2006, 06:40 pm #72 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:13 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Just a quick post today.
I'm not sure on the top sign method yet as you can't print white on clear decal sheets, I've got white decal but it would mean cutting each letter out individually and sliding, tricky.
For today the plinth is primed and ready

piimedplinth.jpg

This is my garden as promised, The smaller shed on the left will be removed and the larger one eased back so the tardis will sit where the big shed is now . I like this picture

gardenmist.jpg

and this is genuine. It's at Holtye on the Kent/Sussex/Surrey border.
How did they do it?

upsidedownsign.jpg

That's all for now
Many thanks
KB

TG

Jun 19, 2006, 07:36 pm #73 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:13 pm by scarfwearer
Lovely picture with the mist (and the K6)  :D

dematerialiser

Jun 20, 2006, 06:10 am #74 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:14 pm by scarfwearer
It's looking great, KB - I haven't seen the signage done that way yet, looks like it works brilliantly.
As for that liquid rubber - I still have some of the stuff left over from when I did a sloping roof on my house a couple of years ago - almost fell off the roof (despite wearing a rated mask!!) after an hour or so of painting - so I hope your headaches aren't triggered by it! I'm sure there's probably a ban on liquid rubber in several countries by now  ;)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your build!

cheers
Chris