Apr 20, 2024, 11:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

kingbees build help?

Started by chriskingbees, May 18, 2006, 03:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

May 31, 2006, 08:19 pm #30 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 pm by scarfwearer
 :o I agree with you TG, this Bee's Buzzing along!!!

Yet more nice looking wood-work from the KB camp, looking good mate. I notice you too have a Dalek helper like TG ;D

Just one question, won't you be in a spot of trouble when Mrs KB discovers you've sliced up her chopping board? :o
Quotelightass1.jpg

chriskingbees

Jun 01, 2006, 08:49 am #31 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Right, I'm heading in met box direction using doc neal drawing as much as I can, however plans are all in imperial and wood comes in metric now so dimensions are as close as I can manage.
Mrs KB kindly donated chopping board but I had to buy her a new one in marble style (See pic). That dalek pic is actually signed if you look close and I was thinking of ebaying it for the animal rescue charity I fund raise for.
It seems to me the three criteria for this project are;
Time; I've got that at the moment
Space; A shed's got to go to accomadate it
Money; Can be found by using existing things (Chopping boards etc) and maybe selling some rare dapol stuff I've got in the loft on ebay
Many thanks for support by the way
KB

chriskingbees

Jun 01, 2006, 03:07 pm #32 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:49 pm by scarfwearer
 >:( >:(HI All
A good day just became a very bad day
After removing all the black paint we cut the top off the lens all OK. I routed the top wood groove and it sat quite nicely. 2 hours later this happened for no reason. I think I need a decent lens.
Help! I can't get the marine store link to take me to the lens.TG's direct link in solar lens thread says it doesn't exist and I need a lens to continue. All help welcome as I knew this would be sticky.
Many thanks
KB >:(

MVC-031S.jpg

chriskingbees

Jun 01, 2006, 04:26 pm #33 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 pm by scarfwearer
Hi again
I found this wonderful gizmo indoors called a telephone and rang marinestore. A lovely lady answered and called me back twice and between us and using TG's info we managed to find what we were looking for. It will arrive in the middle of next week.
A bad day just became a lot better :)

ironageman

Jun 01, 2006, 05:48 pm #34 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 pm by scarfwearer
Ah, so you'll get a real marine thing. Nice. I've got one of those Screwfix lenses and I vaguely wondered what would happen if I cut the top off it... now I know...

About Northwood - I've just browsed the Metropolitan Police website and under 'Hillingdon' there's a picture of Northwood police station - with what looks like a bit of a police POST showing at the very edge of the picture.
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Sorvan

Jun 01, 2006, 06:29 pm #35 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 pm by scarfwearer
Ouch!  That's terrible.

I managed to find my lens on eBay.  If you want to look there, I'd suggest searching for "marine lamp" (and try searching for anything else that you can think people may call these - people often don't know what they're selling so they don't use the right words).

Look at the topic: I found an outlet for a large fresnel lenses! for some other options.

Colin

purpleblancmange

Jun 01, 2006, 06:32 pm #36 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:51 pm by scarfwearer
MVC-031S.jpg

How the hell did this happen?!  Spontaneous fresnel fragmentation? 

Actually I was going to make a comment about rubbing it too hard, then I thought better of it because it sounded a bit rude.  Glad you've ordered a replacement though - and a "better" one by the sounds of it.

Things are looking great with the build so far, and you've chosen a good set of plans.  Looks like there's going to be a number of Purple TARDIS replicas out there now.

Zev

Jun 01, 2006, 11:17 pm #37 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:51 pm by scarfwearer
As luck would have it, I'm moving tomorrow. From my house in Harrow to... Northwood! So, I should be able to see it soon.

Although, the downside. No internet for a month. Hmph.

chriskingbees

Jun 02, 2006, 05:06 pm #38 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:55 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
A good day, finished the pitched roof and can't wait 'till tomorrow to sand it down. Though I've hit the filler and epoxy hard I definately will be using the isoflex as well. Not sure about the light fitting (A bit big) but it will be something like this so the only hole to the inside is the one for the cable. The base and top for the light are sized for the screwfix lens and I beleive the marinestore one is wider so maybe some modding to do there.
The bottom pic is solely to include my son's project the refurbish ing of his K6. Also the small shed will be removed and larger one moved back and the Tardis goes in front of that facing the lawn.
All relevent neighbours heartily approve.
Just a couple bits. The KB tardis will have two outward opening doors (Sacriledge) to maximise space and hopefully a micro switch on the right hand door to illuminate the inside and the beacon when opened
Many thanks
KB

MVC-917S.jpg

MVC-916S.jpg

MVC-918S.jpg

cyberleader1991

Jun 02, 2006, 10:48 pm #39 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:57 pm by scarfwearer
Nice work so far mate

T

chriskingbees

Jun 04, 2006, 05:19 pm #40 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:57 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Quoth the Scotsman "I've sanded all I can Cap'n, I canna sand no more" and blew up a sander too. But, all ready for priming at last. Took a big step on saturday and ordered all side panels, secondary panels, door panels and corner posts inside and out.
I'm past the point of no return now so please don't let go of the rope, as if anyone here would.
Many thanke
KB

MVC-923S.jpg

TG

Jun 05, 2006, 07:23 am #41 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:57 pm by scarfwearer
Lookin'good KB!  :D

And you blew up a sander?...but power tools?...surely that's cheating?  ;)
Working like this I'm afraid to say, you're never going to make building a TARDIS last for years like I've managed to do  ;D

I hear they grow the real ones - I wonder how long that takes?
TG

dematerialiser

Jun 05, 2006, 12:57 pm #42 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:58 pm by scarfwearer
Looking really brilliant, KB! Very innovative there with the lamp dome (good move going to B&Q instead of raiding your bathroom for supplies...  :P )

The roof assembly looks really solid - I guess you filled in the gaps between each of the sloping sections with filler? And where the lowest edge of each sloping panel meets the top of the roof, did you mitre the edge to sit flush with the roof, or fill a triangular gap? (sorry, bit of a wordy question there..). Only there's a strong probability I'll need to finish my Tardis myself soon and so I've started wondering about this kind of practical stuff  ;)

keep up the good work!

cheers
Chris

Sorvan

Jun 05, 2006, 06:44 pm #43 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:58 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: chriskingbees board=build thread=1147967160 post=1149267960The KB tardis will have two outward opening doors (Sacriledge) to maximise space

I don't think it's all that sacrilegious - actual police boxes have an outward opening door (the other side not being a door, so it doesn't open).  I've been struggling myself with what to do about the door(s).  I think I might do one outward opening door (to look like a police box), and one inward opening door (to make it easier to move things in if needed).  Of course, I may change my mind by the time I get around to that part of the build.

Colin

chriskingbees

Jun 08, 2006, 06:35 pm #44 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 04:58 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
No progress on build but the delivery man came today.
Sorry TG but the circular saw might be coming out for this.
Thanks
KB

otherwood.jpg

4wood.jpg