Apr 26, 2024, 10:13 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Set - Studio Plan

Started by Kingpin, Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 06, 2013, 06:26 pm
Right guys, don't know about anyone else round here but I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow for the set tour. Anyone got any particular requests for me to check out/photo?
Still not quite sure how busy it'll be, or how long we'll get, but I'll try my best! :)

The options will be limited because of the ropes they've got up to direct the visitors... but if there's any opportunity to graph photos of the following, that'd be awesome.

A few photos of the Gallifreyan text in the frame around the TARDIS doors.
Close-ish photos of the detail plates beneath the six Bakelite knobs on the panel facing the TARDIS doors.
Close-ish photo of the base of the Smith key object on the panel with the large circular feature covered in handles.
Close-ish photo of the Bakelite tuning knob on the same panel as the Smith key.
A few photos showing the two raised portions the staircases connect to in the lower part of the Console Room.

I don't need a photo of this, but if there's a way to confirm if there are 9 wooden containers (the things the Doctor gets his new outfit from) at the base of the Console structur, or 8, that'd be awesome.

I imagine a few folks might also like any clear shots you might be able to get of the symbols on the top of the rotar.

I hope you enjoy the tour, and have a good time... if taking the photos runs the risk of not letting you have any fun, then don't worry about taking them and just have a blast on location. :)

superrichi1a

Right thanks I'll try my best! Jumpting topic slightly but one thing I am really interested to see it whether the roundels actually ARE lifted from Dalek neck sections, and if so how noticeable it is up close...
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2013, 06:25 am #17 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013, 06:25 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 07, 2013, 05:42 am
Right thanks I'll try my best! Jumpting topic slightly but one thing I am really interested to see it whether the roundels actually ARE lifted from Dalek neck sections, and if so how noticeable it is up close...

If you are allowed to take photos, make good use of your camera's zoom capabilities for the roundels in case they don't let anyone up onto the catwalk! (And along with asking about the 2010 set, you can ask about the rumors of the roundels.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Right yup I'll defo be asking all these questions :) Not sure the guides would know, I'd probably need someone who works there (or Pickwoad himself) but here's hoping!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

superrichi1a

Just come out of the set, what a fantastic tour!
Photo opportunities were somewhat limited, areas around the main console and upper gallery were marked off - but I've done me best and have a few good ones to share.
One exciting bit of news that our guide let slip - it seems Peter Capaldi will be using a redesigned Police Box for his series. He stressed the changes were small, but large enough to require some cosmetic work on the set doors. :)

DoctorWho8

Another TARDIS exterior?  Man I'm never going to catch up!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Kingpin

Fascinating to hear, I wonder what's been changed.

fivefingeredstyre

Hopefully its going to look more like a police box ;)

tony farrell

Hopefully Steve, you'll get some great pictures when you visit in September and we'll be able to see exactly what changes to the doors have been made!
I wonder not whether these changes are made to coincide with a new Doctor but, rather, if its just a conspiracy to keep Bill busy!  :)
Tony

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2013, 10:05 pm #24 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013, 10:13 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Aug 07, 2013, 02:09 pm
Another TARDIS exterior?  Man I'm never going to catch up!

Would any of us ever, Bill? ???
Welcome to the Classic Series... revisited!

Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 07, 2013, 01:41 pm
...He stressed the changes were small, but large enough to require some cosmetic work on the set doors. :)

At a guess, I'd say this has something to do with the windows, the phone cubby, or possibly the lock. Other than those little things the stiles are all that's left of the "exterior" elements that that are visible from the interior.

Curiosity abounds, and it makes one wonder what they're going to do to "The Old Girl" this time to cause those changes! (Not another painful, explosive regeneration, I hope; one was enough.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Vale

Has anyone got a vertical cutaway/elevation of the console room? Ideally showing the structure of the buttresses and the central column/console/platform assembly? Along with the plan view it would really help me "get" the whole room.

Kingpin

I'm hoping to put something like that together once I've got the main plan layouts finished.

galacticprobe

Aug 17, 2013, 05:24 am #27 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013, 05:25 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 17, 2013, 12:18 am
I'm hoping to put something like that together once I've got the main plan layouts finished.

Kingpin, I'm guessing you're living at Google TARDIS at the moment, aren't you? ;) ;D The wife and I have been having some fun there. Tried that right-click 3-D effect someone mentioned in another post (with the proper 10th Doctor 'Void Particle' specs). It lasted a whole - well - as long as it took me to get a look at it and pull the glasses off. (Can you say "Vertigo Trigger"? I knew you could. ;))

Dino.

samararose

Nov 04, 2013, 06:48 pm #28 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 07:13 pm by samararose
Using one of the people in the studio tour wide angle shot, I've come up with some base measurements for the room (assuming the bloke was about 6ft tall).
I know these are very rough estimates, but they do seem to coincide with the use of circles, and the factors of 3 motif (6 sided console, 9 sided dais, 18 sided room)withmeasures.jpg

Also, when comparing the supposed with the model from the first image in this thread, it would seem the room is approximately 30 ft high (From the under console floor to the ceiling) with the dias placed about a 1/3 the way up.
**EDIT** The radius of the console actually seems to be 4.5 ft, resulting in a diameter of 9 ft. (based upon measuring rods in my 3D Modeling software) Otherwise, all the measurements line up.

domvar

The measurements will be metric so rounding to feet inches will lead to inacuracys