Mar 29, 2024, 12:50 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Set - Studio Plan

Started by Kingpin, Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 pm Last Edit: Jul 26, 2013, 09:09 pm by Kingpin
During the studio visit by Prince Charles and Camilla one photo popped up on the BBC's website that was rather interesting.

In addition to featuring Production Designer Michael Pickwoad holding a model of the set, in the background you can see the studio plan on the wall:

4qk1.jpg

From this I've been able to extrapolate this (tweaked with screen caps and correcting the floor pattern to reflect what's now present at the time of the Royal visit):

uz2r.jpg

This is only Version 1.1, and will receive work as we get more intel (hopefully some of you folks will be taking part in the special set tour scheduled for the anniversary).  The next revision will hopefully have the separate levels of the Console Room.

HalfwayToGallifrey

Absolutely amazing find! Thank you so much! I've been wanting a look at the layout since Christmas. Well done

Vale

I love looking through concept art like that, seeing the evolution of what we end up seeing... really frustrates me that we hardly ever get to see it in any detail.

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2013, 05:24 am #3 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
With any luck, some of the concept art will find its way into the next edition of The Brilliant Book Of Doctor Who 20XX, or another updated edition of Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary, or the next Doctor Who: The Official Annual 20XX, or maybe even Doctor Who Magazine...

Great drawing, Kingpin! If you don't mind me mentioning it, I think you left out that dark grey rectangular area that's directly across from the main entry doors: that side corridor the Doctor starts down for "the garage", and then seconds later walks back angrily saying "The other way!" It's also the corridor they start down in the search for Clara in "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS". Also, looking at that drawing on the wall in the photo background, it looks like it's already incorporated (at least some of) the latest set changes, such as the extra grates in the main level flooring, which seem to be odd-numbered: nine grates in the wall drawing rather than eight.

Unfortunately without a better photo we can't tell if that's how it turned out, or if it's just in the drawing. Even in this excellent photo:
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 11, 2013, 06:47 pm
A rather nice wide-angle shot, showing almost the entire set:

hqn6.jpg

the photo is small, and with people standing on the grates (to the right of the console), not to mention the console being in the way, we can't see all the way round to count the actual number. So I'm in total agreement with you in that
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 pm
...(hopefully some of you folks will be taking part in the special set tour scheduled for the anniversary).

(So if anyone does, please try to count the floor grates. ;) ;D)

And speaking of:
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 pm
The next revision will hopefully have the separate levels of the Console Room.

the "floor plan" - which you can't see if it's indicated in the drawing in the photo - would be nice to have a color key for the grey scale to indicate which is the mid-level and which is the lowest level. It's really difficult to tell by just looking at the "flat" plan without having a photo of the set handy. (The "main" level and the catwalk are easy enough to discern.)

All in all that "Version 1.1" is a fabulous start! (Though, you have to admit, from that perspective it has a definite U.S.S. Enterprise bridge feel to it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Kingpin

Dark Grey: the floor of the Console Room.
Light Grey: The raised mezzanine between the floor of the Console Room and the Console Platform.
White: The Console Platform and gallery above it.

The next revision should have the piece of corridor you noted.

As for the floor panels, in the set construction photos there's a eight-sided plate visible beneath the base of the Console, it's this and the depiction of the plates in the wide-shot that I went with eight rather than nine.

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2013, 11:34 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 11:36 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 28, 2013, 12:42 pm
Dark Grey: the floor of the Console Room.
Light Grey: The raised mezzanine between the floor of the Console Room and the Console Platform.
White: The Console Platform and gallery above it.

Ah. Now I can see it. Thanks!

Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 28, 2013, 12:42 pm
As for the floor panels, in the set construction photos there's a eight-sided plate visible beneath the base of the Console, it's this and the depiction of the plates in the wide-shot that I went with eight rather than nine.

Actually, taking a closer look at that floor plate, it looks like the sides are a little off for an eight-sided plate. And using the opposing floor grates as a reference point for starting a straight line, when you draw that straight line (though the console) to the other side, it runs into the middle front edge of a grate, rather than between the opposing grates:
FloorGrates.jpg
So there may possibly ??? be nine rather than eight grates around the console, which does coincide with the drawing on the wall.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Kingpin

Jul 28, 2013, 11:50 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 11:53 pm by Kingpin
Looks pretty conclusive in your image that there are 9.

Buggeration.  As if the floor wasn't tricky enough as it is with the way they've laid out those holes in the floor panels.

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2013, 05:32 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 05:32 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 28, 2013, 11:50 pm
Buggeration.  As if the floor wasn't tricky enough as it is with the way they've laid out those holes in the floor panels.

Well, as Bones said in 'ST: TMP' - "I know engineers; they love to change things!" And as someone here posted when the 2010 console room was revealed (and darned if I can find that post now to quote from it!) - '<The BBC> is probably trying to make their new consoles and rooms so complicated that people like us won't be able to build a replica of it'.

And like I said to that "Ha-ha! If they only knew the power of the fan prop replicators!" (Or something to that effect. I really wish I could find that post! >:()

Dino.

davidnagel

Here you go peeps, a bigger version of that picture above: who6-4863673.jpg
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2013, 02:39 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 02:59 pm by galacticprobe
Nice large photo! Thanks, davidnagel! And looking at it from two perspectives (open image in a new tab or window to see it full size):
FloorGrates02.jpg
it does look like those floor grates aren't directly across from each other, so there is certainly an odd number of them... as in mathematically odd, not strangely odd. And when counting the grates we can actually see when focusing on the floor alone:
FloorGrates03.jpg
and knowing their size and spacing to each other, there definitely has to be another grate that we can't see on the other side of the console, which would bring the total number of floor grates to nine (in each 'circle' of them, for a grand total of 18).

Dino.

exleo

The Maths of this room is very easily based on a circle and it's divisional numbers.... in degrees we have 360, 270, 180, 90.... and like wise divisions of 36, 18, 9, 4.5 ....
If you work everything out in terms of circles and spheres then you end up with the right number of faces for everything and also the correct angles of everything.
For example the console room has 18 struts around it and logically 9 grates in the floor to balance the maths, even the six sided console fits in with the 360 degree design aesthetic.... work from the 360 degree sphere principle and the placing of everything within the console room becomes very easy to place :)

superrichi1a

Right guys, don't know about anyone else round here but I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow for the set tour. Anyone got any particular requests for me to check out/photo?
Still not quite sure how busy it'll be, or how long we'll get, but I'll try my best! :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

RECORD EVERYTHING!!! SNEAK IN A RULER OR TAPE MEASURE! YOU WILL DO OUR WILL (or so mote it be). ;)>
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

superrichi1a

Haha that made me laugh! :D I'll obviously be snapping photos like a madman, no idea how I'll upload them all but there ya go!
On the tickets it has 50 minutes allocated for the set tour :o THAT'S MASSIVE! I reckon some of that time will involve traveling around Roath Lock, but still even if I got half that I'd be over the moon!

Speaking of sets, not quite the right place to ask this I know, but seeing as I'm here: Anyone got any idea yet what happened to the 2010 set? I was wondering about this at Christmas but no one had any idea, and not much seems to have changed... I hope it's not just standing lonely at Upper Boat like the 2005 did for so long :-\
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

That is probably something best asked on the tour.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff