Apr 20, 2024, 01:50 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Has anyone seen this guy's Steampunk console?

Started by slidin_sidewayz, Jul 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

I've been regularly checking this guy's live journal but maybe something has happened to him, I dunno. I'm guessing some of you will have seen his handiwork before, I know I find it staggeringly impressive but, as far as I know, it's still incomplete. Anyway, here's his page:
http://douglas442.livejournal.com/
His console looks like this:
s640x480.jpg00012eq0.jpg
He was planning to build this:
00010drr.jpg
Keen to hear from anybody who might know of him.

Kingpin

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2013, 02:55 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2013, 02:56 pm by galacticprobe
This looks very familiar. I may have commented on it regarding that console typewriter keyboard, and having raided Warehouse 13 for parts. But that feels like ages ago. This is a good question; does anyone have info on this? It is a fantastic build.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

Jul 14, 2013, 03:47 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2013, 03:54 pm by mordrogyn
This console definitely already appears here on the forums:  http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=923.0
In fact looking at the thread, it was me that posted the pics to this forum... what's the chances of that?
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

DoctorWho8

You've come full circle!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

the mister

Yeah this console is possibly the greatest one ever created. A complete perfection of design and handiwork. such a shame it hasn't been completed and properly exploited.

slidin_sidewayz

Good news everyone! (Any Futurama fans here?) Mr Douglas 442 has replied to my email. To quote-

"Yes. I am still working on it. And have been pushing myself, lately, to get past a few
major goals.

Currently, this involves the installation of a digital and modular ( sound ) synthesizer
setup into the console. Rather involved, as I am also building all the several individual
modules from the bare PCB on up.

Probably, I will post some additional info in my blog once this system is at least
partly functional.

When... I don't know... all I can suggest is that you check in on it, once in awhile,
for updates.

Regards,
Douglas"

Well that made me happy, I just hope he updates his site with a few new pics soon!

galacticprobe

Jul 19, 2013, 01:42 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 05:57 am by galacticprobe
Nice to hear this console is still "growing".

And a bit off-topic, but...
Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Jul 19, 2013, 11:12 am
Good news everyone! (Any Futurama fans here?)

Why, yes; yes there is! Has the moronic Comedy Central decided not to axe the show after all? Or are they giving it back to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim to continue the adventures of our beloved Planet Express crew?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timegalaxy5

a modular synthesizer into the system?!!
that's going to cost some bucks.
Although if he is building the modules himself
I think they are cheaper that way. Still, that's
quite a lot.
Well my best wishes to the builder of this beautiful
console, and the luck!

TimeGalaxy5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

FloppyDiskNinja

Cannot wait to see further progress, this is fantastic. I love steampunk!

-FloppyDiskNinja

slidin_sidewayz

I think we ALL do! I mean, the TARDIS console from 2005 onwards epitomises Steampunk, don'it? Look at some of his bits and pieces:

5970_600.jpg
2913_600.jpg
3266_600.jpg

And interestingly, he had one of those fine tuner type controls before the current console did:
3526_600.jpg
I hope he gets something up and running by the 50th. Imagine seeing this beauty, Celation's fabulous console, BOTH of Scarfwearers amazing creations and Jarrod's awesome console in one room.
NERDGASM!!! (Melts into floor at the thought)  :D

the mister

thanks for contacting him on all our behalves!

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2013, 06:01 am #12 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 06:02 am by galacticprobe
Where did he find those great pieces, especially those volt meters?! (As a former electronics tech by trade I'm always curious about things like that.)

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jan 31, 2016, 12:46 am #13 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2016, 12:46 am by galacticprobe
For anyone coming across this topic here, the owner of this console has joined our ranks and has his Build Diary here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6527.0.

Dino.