News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

An Adventure in Space and Time Console Room

Started by madgaz, Jul 04, 2013, 09:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

madgaz

Jul 04, 2013, 09:04 am Last Edit: Dec 07, 2015, 06:04 pm by Tardis Builders
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a duplicate: I can't seem to find the original thread about this! :( Please merge this if needed).

Blogtor Who has put up some pictures of the console room recreation from Mark Gatiss' 50th Anniversary drama.

The following is from their twitter feed (Hope this works):

https://twitter.com/BlogtorWho/status/352710931211509760/photo/1

https://twitter.com/BlogtorWho/status/352706225500200960/photo/1

BOUQcYFCIAAwFNB.jpg

(Photos courtesy of Blogtor Who http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/)

Doesn't it look lovely? :)

Gaz :)

celation

Certainly does! Lovely job!  :)

Blogtor have posted up a few more pictures with the promise of more later, too...

davidnagel

That is grande isnt it! And there's me thinking it'd be poor in comparison to yours celation.
Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Couple of things I haven noticed...

1) They don't seem to have used brake lenses (that's ok), nor have they painted them all. The custom glass looks kinda cool though.
2) The "ping-pong" lamps are actually just bulbs (in some shots you can see they are smaller than the hole they are in).
3) The Telepathic circuits don't seem to have any orange in them...
4) Labels??!?? (Not sure I like that, especially not in English).

Overall it's pretty cool though. I have to say, I like the metal rings around the ping pong lamps - and WHERE THE HELL did they get the fruit basket for the rotor from? :D

I've been looking at ebay on and off ever since Celation found his!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: madgaz on Jul 04, 2013, 09:04 am
Hi All,
Blogtor Who has put up some pictures of the console room recreation from Mark Gatiss' 50th Anniversary drama.
The following is from their twitter feed (Hope this works):
(Photos courtesy of Blogtor Who http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/)

Doesn't it look lovely? :)

Gaz :)

Thank you Gaz for sharing; it does indeed look lovely.
Great to have something approximating to the 'old girl' back (though a somewhat strange decision to reveal part of the Tardis set ahead of An Adventure in Space and Time being transmitted)!
In terms of accuracy, whilst this console has the 'spirit' of the original, it isn't as near the mark as Chris's/Celation's version. Some of the control panel layouts are slightly 'off the mark' and the central column's innards have been simplified (no little mirrors on the ends of the rotating zig-zag section, no diamond pattern surround to the zig-zag drum).
ast1.png
In fact, looking at the column's 'flags' (one being upside-down compared to the other) and the double lever (the one which was later moved to the Space/Time Visualiser) the AST console appears to be an attempt show the console across Bill Hartnell's entire era as the Doctor rather than the version as it appeared in one story only. (This would make sense because we know that certain scenes from the Pilot Episode have been 're-mounted' and that the second Doctor also appears in AST.)
The other differences to the original appear to be structural. As in the original, the console appears to have been made in two halves; but unlike the original, the control panels aren't detachable.
ast7.png
ast4.png

In addition, the 'fins' which divide the control panels are slightly longer and appear to fit over angled 'locating' sections on the console's collar - the originals had no such locating sections. How the dividing fins relate to the collar is also different:
ast2.png
comp tower inside.png
But, I still love it and can't wait to see the console (and, hopefully, the full recreation of the Tardis set) when it's moved to Cardiff.

ast5.png
Tony
(all photos from Blogtor Who)

domvar

It's ok but it's no where near Celation's standard, the dims and angles are all off, it's the wrong colour, the lights are sunken bulbs.  TBH it's a bit disappointing that the pro's haven't managed to get a bit closer to the mark.

handofomega

I have to say I love it.   Labels and all I love it.  Not nearly as accurate as one of us prop builders would make but still a great piece.   ;D

mechanoid

Jul 04, 2013, 09:45 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 04, 2013, 10:02 pm by mechanoid
Well it has always been my favourite console and although there are discrepancies, I love this build. But, I think a better job could have been made of the innards of the column as it is the detail in the original; the diamond pattterning, the square reflective blocks atop and bottom of the the central column pole and the six, small mirrors on the paddle edges,  that were designed to catch and reflect the light and make it look as magical as possible. I can't see the rulers with the square mirrors either. But hey, it is absolutely brilliabt to see it almost extant again! The central column cover looks as if it may have melted slightly, by the look of it.

Tony..about the move to Cardiff; Do you know if they have recreated or intend to recreate the whole of the console room and that all of this will be at Cardiff?

The veg basket...A rare find indeed! But maybe it is a printed 3d piece; maybe most, if not all the bits and pieces, were made this way.

Do we know exactly who made this?

Graham

Fardels Bear

I think they've done a great job. They could have done a quickie job like The Two Doctors, but a lot of effort has gone into this. Great they got the veg rack in as well.
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2013, 07:26 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2013, 07:26 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 04, 2013, 04:18 pm

I think on the original those "labels" were just strips of black (maybe electrical) tape stuck to the console. So those strips were there. I think for this production - and since Mark Gatiss may have paid to have this beauty built from his own pocket - he may have used that "artistic license" by having labels put on those black strips. (Just a guess.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

I don't see why MG would have paid for it, I'm sure that would be a breach of BBC rules what with them being publicly funded and wrapped in red tape.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 05, 2013, 07:26 am
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 04, 2013, 04:18 pm

I think on the original those "labels" were just strips of black (maybe electrical) tape stuck to the console. So those strips were there. I think for this production - and since Mark Gatiss may have paid to have this beauty built from his own pocket - he may have used that "artistic license" by having labels put on those black strips. (Just a guess.)

Dino.

Oh yes, SOMETHING was there. I think they were small blocks of plastic (perhaps they were the same smokey plastic on the paddles?) - but def not Labels.

As for who paid for it? You've got me there :)
Public Enema Number One.

Mark

Good to see that in good old Beeb fashion the prop has been damaged already (well paint scuffed anyway!).

Over all I'm happy with it. Agree with all said above about the accuarcy issues and Celation's is waaaaay better but it could have bee a hell of a lot worse. Kudos to doing a pretty good replica I say.

Rassilons Rod

Jul 05, 2013, 03:17 pm #13 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2013, 03:19 pm by rassilonsrod
I'd be interested to know if it's all just totally and 100% invention...

OR....... (Celation, I'm looking at you here - since you did all the research on the lamp flash frequencies ;)) if the labels actually reference stuff said in the show and things switched/ clicked....

-Marc

PS is it my imagination, or is there no actual rim? Do the panels taper right down to the edge of the console?

PPS, the colour is really strange - I keep getting the feeling some of these photos are rendered... I know they're not but the colour seems to have a strange glow to it...
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Let's take a brightened color shot an make it B&W.
tardis21.JPG
That looks nice and proper.  A little dismayed with the visible seams in the walls.  There weren't any on the originals.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff