Apr 24, 2024, 02:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

'Build your own Sonic Screwdriver'

Started by Dev, May 27, 2013, 11:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

Hi guys and gals,

I recently realised some of the newer productions of the sonic screwdriver seem to use a core module, containing the light, sound chip, and battery compartment.
For all of us that have struggled trying to squeeze this stuff in to a screwdriver, we have an answer!

What follows, shall be pictures of my build designed around this core module.
Any ideas welcome! 

galacticprobe

I'd love to see a (fairly painless) way to modify an existing 9th/10th Doctor sonic into the 9th Doctor's wide slider slot version. (Especially since I've got one of those sonics that needs to have its activation button replaced thanks to being "loved to death". I figure since I've got to replace the switch, which will require some surgery anyway, then why not "retro" it to the first wide slot version?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dev

version 1 has been a success!
I used to core of the transtemporal sonic screwdriver, trimming it down a little and extending the wires for the LED up. As well as replacing the switch.
Photo0070.jpg
Photo0069.jpg

I would have loved to take some pics of how i was constructing it, but i did it mostly at work when i wasnt busy, with half a hacksaw blade and a selection of files.
But i will try and give you a little tour!

hear we have the emitter, which is a bulb unit, mounted with a white LED, and a blue lens cap taken from a 10th doctor sonic.
Photo0071.jpg

This extends down using three copper arms. in the middle which the pic doesn't show very well, is a clear plastic core which contains some fibre optic wire  with an LED i am yet to connect. So when you flick the switch, it all glows rather nicely!
Photo0072.jpg

Next, this is the switch. had to go bulky, as i dreaded trying to sit a micro switch that would be stable enough. So i went for a simple push to make red button. Which is attached to a plate and screwed on. just to avoid having to route it from the inside out.
Photo0073.jpg

Finally, the handle. This is a part i had left over from a bright LED touch of which i hacked off and placed as the core light for my console.
I covered it in black tape to try and echo the colour of my console. So at least they look related!
Photo0074.jpg

Nice and bright
Photo0075.jpg

And like all good sonic screwdrivers, we have red settings.
Photo0077.jpg

So, this is really just a first attempt, built from bits i had lying around my house. All of the copper came from a tube, which i cut the segments out of. Thought this would be a good idea, because even when i'm using it in plates, it retains the curve.

And so begins, ATTEMPT NO.2 *dramatic music*