Feb 29, 2024, 05:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


St. James Road at Parliamentary Road Box

Started by hb88banzai, May 15, 2013, 07:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

May 15, 2013, 07:12 am Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:28 am by hb88banzai
The Box on St. James Road, just south of Parliamentary Road -- A28

Here's a view from 1962 looking down St. James Road from Parliamentary Road, with the Box and the unusual building it was Sited next to on the left --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-(1962).jpg

Some time in the late 1960s the entire area began to be demolished to make way for some massive redevelopment. Here is a view near the beginning of the end --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28.jpg

Finally, a colour view of the Box (still red) and building just before removal --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-(1970-1971).jpg

All the destruction makes for a distinctly post-apocalyptic feel to the scene.

Due to all the redevelopment, the part of St. James Road the Box was on and all of Parliamentary Road are now a distant memory - at best, foot paths in the suburban wilderness. Here you can just get a glimpse of the Box Site in the distance (marked by the red pointer) --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-DistantSiteStreetview.JPG

This is essentially looking up what was St. James Road from the south, now just a gap between buildings.

URL:  http://maps.google.com/maps?q=55.865385,+-4.244850&hl=en&ll=55.866571,-4.244456&spn=0.000048,0.035706&sll=55.821242,-4.305632&sspn=0.003797,0.008926&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.864875,-4.244449&panoid=V1I4_5khUiYaxJsp5LuKBA&cbp=12,333.3,,0,3.35

Here is a Google Maps Satellite view showing the actual Site (tip of the green arrow) --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-SiteSatelliteView.JPG

Now, a further bit of interest is that there was apparently a Police Box on this Site before the concrete Box was installed in 1938, as the 1933 OS Map clearly shows a Box (PCB, center map) at the same location --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-OS_MapExtract(1933).JPG

The maps from 1913 and earlier show no trace of this Box, so it would have likely been a Mark 2 cast iron Glasgow Police Box, which looked like this --

Glasgow 1912 Mark 2 Box.jpg

Regrettably, I haven't been able to find any photos of it at this stage.

Map view of the concrete box in the 1952 OS Map --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-OS_MapExtract(1952).JPG

And the 1965-1968 OS Map --

St_James_Road_at Parliamentary_Road_Box-A28-OS_MapExtract(1965-1968).JPG