Apr 19, 2024, 02:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1/2 Size Matt Smith Tardis Build

Started by drwatshisface, May 07, 2013, 12:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drwatshisface

I've been a very busy boy this morning, as you'll no doubt see/read.

After collecting my signs, I picked up all the remaining wood needed to complete my build and have almost finished putting the walls together. (Being off work has certainly given me a great boost to completing this build in a short time - I'm not a patient person and can't sit still!)

The inside of the box will not duplicate the exterior styles, so this has saved on wood, weight and time.

The MDF was all cut to size by the guy at the local B&Q store. My cuts so far have not been too bad, but these are fairly big pieces and I wanted them to be spot on.

I managed to borrow a jigsaw (a very cheap one) to cut the holes for the windows, although wish I hadn't bothered, the lines are terrible! I think the blade was bent!

I cut all the pine strips myself, that are needed to reproduce the stiles and rails. I am not bothered about chambered edges of these. Not on a ½ size prop at least.

These have been glued and screwed to the MDF through the back and the screws filled over.

You may notice a few tests going on in the pics. I made a template for the windows out of cardboard. This was mainly to see which size of wood for the frames looked better.

The PTO sign was printed out just to keep my motivation going. Doesn't it make you happy to see it all coming together.

walls 1.jpgwalls 2.jpgwalls 3.jpg

DoctorWho8

Looking good!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

drwatshisface

Well I'm Back at work now so progress has been slow.

I had to rethink my idea for attaching the signs. My 2 yr old is not going to be gentle, so I have decided to use hanger bolts to attach the sign boxes to the posts instead of magnets.

I've added the frame to the posts and underside of the signs, something for the walls to butt up against.

As my build needs to be easily moved and taken apart with no tools, I have opted for the door lock method of securing the walls to the posts.

posts 2.JPGsign box 3.JPGsign box 4.JPGsign box 5.jpg

drwatshisface

On with the paint.... All MDF areas have been treated to some primer and a good rub down.

The interior will be left white for now, until I can decide what to do with it.

The exterior will be covered in Cuprionl's Iris blue paint/stain.

So far so good!

base 4.JPGdoors 1.JPGWalls 4.JPG

DoctorWho8

Looking good for the pint-sized TARDIS!

granty24

It's looking great! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

drwatshisface

I wish I'd paid someone to cut these out of acrylic on a cnc/laser machine! It would have been so much easier. But sadly t'was not within my budget.

Lots of pine strip wood, super glue and a heck of a lot of patience later, I had 8 wooden frames.

Some clear/frosted Perspex sheet will attach on the rear of these.

They will be painted & stuck in place once the Tardis is finished.

Windows 1.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 06, 2013, 06:23 pm #22 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013, 06:23 pm by galacticprobe
The laser cutting may not have been within your budget, but your handiwork and patience paid off. This looks as find a job as if it had been laser cut, but you can say you did it yourself! That alone makes it worth more than the price of laser cutting. She's looking beautiful now and I can just imagine how beautiful she'll look once you've got the windows finished and in place.

Bravo!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

drwatshisface

Thanks Dino, thats made my day!

Every time I look at the progress so far, im chuffed and I cant wait to get started on a full size build!

drwatshisface

A few more bits painted.

Posts 3.JPGsign box 7.JPGRoof 10.JPGRoof 11.JPG

Just a quick tease!

Signs 2.JPG

DoctorWho8

Structured just like the TV props!

darklord1964

drwatshisface

Thanks Guys, as always your comments are welcomed.

Just a few more bits needing some blue paint and ill be on to the final touches.

hello

darklord1964

what is the size of your post and what colour blue are you using?