Mar 29, 2024, 10:12 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

McCoy model completed

Started by lorisarvendu, Dec 27, 2008, 11:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Dec 27, 2008, 11:34 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 08:32 pm by Scarfwearer
I've been working on this for a couple of months, but things have suddenly accelerated and I managed to finish it this afternoon (well, apart from a final varnish).

It's actually going to be a present for my ex-sister-in-law's new husband.  God knows when they'll be able to pick it up because I live in Derbyshire and they're in Kent, but what the hell.  

I have that weird mixture of relief, achievement, and "what now?" when I finish a model.  I've gone for the YPD later McCoy look.  But I didn't like my last attempt with the 3-supports lamp housing, so I've done it with 4. I don't care.

Also (though you probably can't see it here), I've managed to get different texture on the bottom two outside window panes, by using pebbled PVC for those, and clear for the rest.  The PVC is back-painted with an acrylic grey.

McCoy_TARDIS_Dec2008.JPG

I've already cut out the 4 faces for an NST model...with Bad Wolf signs.  God help me, I'm addicted!

(actually I'm using my skills elsewhere by making a little farmhouse for my 5-yr old daughter too, so a bit of redemption on the sad factor there!) ;)

Hope y'all had a cracking Xmas, enjoyed "The Next Doctor", and all de best for 2009! ;D ;D

-Dave

purpleblancmange

Dec 28, 2008, 12:11 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: lorisarvendu board=show thread=1028 post=18812 time=1230462757I wish I could get the handles right.

That's a model and a half - really great and fantastic detailing too.  If you want to have a bash at making some handles, I'd suggest using some fine plastic rod, either bought or salvaged from a model kit.

Light a candle, hold the plastic in the flame for a second or two to allow the plastic to soften and bend it into the right shape to produce the basic handle form.  Then heat up the end where the screws would go and flatten it with pliers or whatever and repeat this for the other end.

Now all you have to do is start to clean the sculpt up with sand paper.  For the screw holes, I held a needle over the flame (held with pliers) and then fashioned the screw holes with the hot business end.  I'm sure you can use your own creativity to come up with the actaul screws, but at the scale you're working to, you probably can get away without making them - I don't think I made any screws for BabyJelly's TARDIS that I made earlier in the year which was 1:13 scale, so close to what you're working to.

Hope this is of some help to you.  It may give you some ideas - just be careful with the flame though, don't hold any plastic in there for too long otherwise it'll start to burn and give off very nasty, eye watering fumes.

dalethetimelord

Dec 28, 2008, 04:22 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 04:34 pm by scarfwearer
Very, VERY nice work Dave!!  Liking it a LOT.

geminitimelord

Dec 28, 2008, 04:33 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 04:34 pm by scarfwearer
Very nice work. Awesome detail!

Can't wait to see the Bad Wolf NST!!!!!!

lorisarvendu

Dec 28, 2008, 11:12 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 04:35 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: gemini39usa on Dec 28, 2008, 04:33 amVery nice work. Awesome detail!

Thanks for that, although there's others on here who've made better models than me.  I wish I could get the handles right.

Quote from: gemini39usa on Dec 28, 2008, 04:33 am
Can't wait to see the Bad Wolf NST!!!!!!

I've already got my screen-caps ready:

Bad_Wolf_Phone_Sign.jpg

Bad_Wolf_Roof_Sign.jpg

Being as I work with 1.5mm card, I think the most difficult part of the model is going to be those thin window frames.  I'm not looking forward to attempting them.