11th/12th Doctor Tardis Console Parts identification

Started by timewomble, Jan 12, 2013, 12:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jan 27, 2013, 05:45 pm #15 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 05:46 pm by galacticprobe
I've seen those Panel 5 knobs before. I forget whether or not they have a specific name, but they look like the knob Kingpin posted, but rather than the metal spinner they do have that black sloped flange as an integrated part of the knob. (Again lots of the older 'tronic equipment I worked on in the Coast Guard had those knobs. Now if someone will only give me a working TARDIS, I'd gladly go back to about 1986, violate the First Law of Time, and tell my past self to snag all of the bits that we will need after 2005 so I can supply everyone's new console builds, especially mine - no charge to anyone, of course. ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

The plastic part of that knob looks just like the ones from the large faders on the original Brachacki console :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

I must say Marc that this had occurred to me as well. Great minds......

galacticprobe

Jan 27, 2013, 10:24 pm #18 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 10:25 pm by galacticprobe
Those knobs definitely have that Brachacki look to them (at least their tops do). Like I mentioned, the equipment I worked on earlier in my career had many knobs like that on the 2013 console, Panel 5. (I just need a working TARDIS so I can go back to when they upgraded that equipment and pull the knobs off of the old stuff before they hauled it away!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

meantimebob

galacticprobe

Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 am #20 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: meantimebob on Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 pm
I'd say that knob was a vernier dial/knob.

Yup. That's one of the things they were used for. They were also used for selecting channels, radio bands, volume... Some of them even had graduation markings on them while some were plain, or just had a "pointer" mark on them.

Dino.

timewomble

Kingpin

Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 am #23 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 10:19 am by Kingpin
Thanks to the Bob's bits link, I've found one of the knobs on Panel 6:

slowmotiondial.png
It's described as coming from a 1920s Radiogram, and the site lists it's measurements: 71mm wide 85mm high 15mm thick excluding knobs 31mm including knob 66g

One from Panel 4:
bakeliteslowmotiontunin.png
This one is described as being a slow motion valve radio tuning knob circa 1920's/1930's.  The measurements are: 74mm wide 85mm high 31mm thick including knobs 60g

Bob's Bits also lists a National Grid keyboard, the keys from one having been used on Panel 1

timewomble

Good spot! I didn't recognise either of those knobs (although I did spot the keyboard).

Bob's Bits is great. I remember a "making of" feature about the Eccleston console where they said they got a big pile of stuff from Bob's Bits and dressed the bare console with it. I strongly suspect that most of the stuff on the new console came from them.

Sadly, they don't seem to have online ordering, or I'd already have bought a few things for my son's console. I'll have to wait until I get can get over there in the car.

Kingpin

I've updated Version 2.0 of the plans to reflect the high-res photos of the knobs on Bob's site.  Here's panel 5:

panel1k.jpg

Still plenty of work to do, I'm not completely certain I've got the right number of notches on that set of five large knobs near the bottom of the panel, but things will improve once we get some more screen grabs.  There are some detail pieces in the middle of this panel that I've left off until we get some better shots of what they are.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

Vale

Splendid work, Kingpin - I look forward to seeing the rest of this console's schematics.

Rassilons Rod

I've just noticed those pockets (which presumably relate to the 5 Doctors' Console) and the two items which are uncannily like door handles at the top corners of the middle pocket  :D
Public Enema Number One.

wayne venomous

Quote from: timegalaxy5 on Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 pm
I wonder if the cogs and wheels in this panel actually move by adjusting the levers on the glass?
cogs.jpg
possibly?
TG5

Those handles on the cogs look like bus blind handles (the things the driver uses to change the numbers/destination on the front of the bus). They've got a thing about using old bus parts!