Mar 29, 2024, 05:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The 10 Day Tardis

Started by nickdclements, Mar 21, 2013, 06:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Mar 27, 2013, 10:58 pm #15 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 12:31 pm by Scarfwearer
You poor <unfortunate person>. When I did my build, I was fortunate to own a 1982 Nissan pickup with some 200,000 miles on it and a dodgy starter.  Around 10% of the time it wouldn't start.  Not a terrible deal, because it was a stick and light enough to push-start.  Unless, of course, you have a TARDIS worth of lumber loaded into the bed.  So I started it up before loading it.  Even so, it was less painful than trying to get everything home in a car.  The fact that I no longer have that truck is the deciding factor in me not having another go at building a better TARDIS.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

nickdclements

Poor indeed lol! My Dad has a nice pickup, but I didn't want to bother him, he's already helping to much with the basement remodel.

nickdclements

Mar 28, 2013, 12:43 pm #17 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 12:45 pm by nickdclements
Between my day job, my side job, remodeling the basement and of course the girlfriend ;) the Tardis is getting the shaft :( I took two days off of work in hopes to get two nice 12+ hour days to work, non-stop on the Tardis... but it did not pan out that way. As I mentioned, a lot of Tuesday was spent getting more supplies, tools, etc. And the evening was stolen by the remodel :/ Wednesday was worse! I was called into work and was stuck there until 12:30. And then I had a dentist appointment at 3:30, so I got a whopping 2 and a half hours to build. But I got a bit of the top built so that's something.

Tonight is my night with the gf, so no construction tonight. Tomorrow I have to pickup a new washer and dryer, so probably no construction Friday night. Saturday, I have dog training in the morning >.< and then going to the butterflies with the girlfriend -- so probably no chance to work on Saturday. Sunday, is Easter! Definitely not happening Sunday :p Maybe a few hours Monday night but probably not. Tuesday... hopefully I can get Tuesday off again, since I had to come in Wednesday and maybe finally get my full day of Tardis construction that I've been craving lol

In the mean time, I'm going to reassess supplies, and try and squeeze in a supply run at some point and get whatever else I need, so I don't have to waste time doing it Tuesday if I can get it off! I'll also work on and post some new sketches for the split base and top design. As well as work on some of the smaller details, like printing the labels for the signs, the door sign, painting the lantern when it arrives ;), etc.

nickdclements

Apr 01, 2013, 01:45 pm #18 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2013, 01:53 pm by nickdclements
IMG_096-6.jpg

Day "10" ended with a much more Tardisey looking Tardis than I was expecting!
I ended up getting unexpected build time Friday night, and then all day Saturday!
Which I desperately needed, as the new deadline might be this this Sunday !!! >.<

Most of Friday as spend cutting the tardis in half and then putting it back Together again.
It all worked perfectly, but unfortunately didn't "progress" the Tardis any...
IMG_0952.JPG

And the Lantern arrived! Thanks again 'galacticprobe' !
20130330_083710.jpg
20130330_084158.jpg
IMG_0963.JPG

The Alienware Circular Saw!!!
IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG

The Roof!
IMG_0956.JPG

A trick for cutting the holes for the side supports in the plywood on the base...
I screwed it in place, and then painted in the holes from the bottom, with spray paint.
Then took the plywood of and cut :)
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG

nickdclements

Apr 01, 2013, 04:58 pm #19 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2013, 05:00 pm by nickdclements
Today, I'm concerned with making the doors...

Hinges intimidate me  :-[

I have 4 more wall panels to make, which hopefully shouldn't take long, and then I'm going to focus on the doors.
I think I know what to do, but I'm not confident what will happen...
014.jpg

I think once i get the first half in place and the hinge on, I'll have a better idea of how it will work. :)

Rassilons Rod

From your diagram, it looks like your door will open outwards.

I would suggest you try mounting the hinge flat on the back. Hope that's of some help :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

linkjrep

Your diagram is fantastic; if you want it to open inwards, have that circular pin thingy on the diagram go the opposite way. You might want to find a way to have the doors transportable: mine are permanently stuck to the corner posts because I don't want to keep unscrewing them and....(oh no, forgot the word....sh------ shhhh------.....nope. I lost it. It's like dull but...wait....STRIP!!!) I don't want to strip the screws that came with the hinges either. They aren't that intimidating, just make sure they're in the right place :) I'm sure you'll be fine, I had no plan and mine is fine...mostly  ;)

Rassilons Rod

Or that. :)

Quote from: linkjrep on Apr 01, 2013, 08:03 pm
Your diagram is fantastic; if you want it to open inwards, have that circular pin thingy on the diagram go the opposite way. You might want to find a way to have the doors transportable: mine are permanently stuck to the corner posts because I don't want to keep unscrewing them and....(oh no, forgot the word....sh------ shhhh------.....nope. I lost it. It's like dull but...wait....STRIP!!!) I don't want to strip the screws that came with the hinges either. They aren't that intimidating, just make sure they're in the right place :) I'm sure you'll be fine, I had no plan and mine is fine...mostly  ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

nickdclements

Apr 02, 2013, 12:21 pm #23 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 12:29 pm by nickdclements
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 01, 2013, 05:05 pm
From your diagram, it looks like your door will open outwards.

RIGHT! Thank you, I kind-a forgot they are "supposed" to open inwards >.<
I will see if I can reverse it tonight.
-- And actually, having them open inwards should be even easier, and work better, I wont have to have the hinge sticking out of the trim/molding!
Thanks again!!

Your diagram is fantastic;

Thank you!!

You might want to find a way to have the doors transportable

I have! The entire Tardis breaks down and will be able to fit in a car!

nickdclements

Apr 02, 2013, 01:11 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 02:56 pm by nickdclements
Ooh! I almost forgot! I had a great idea on how to do the Plaque on the quick&cheap.
I'm going to print the text on a transparency and put it on-top of a piece of sheet-metal!

printed 3 versions with varying degrees of grunge/rust:
20130402_104800.jpg

Found a great Hi-Res plaque graphic on DA: http://steelgohst.deviantart.com/art/Tardis-44709735 thank you "steelgohst" !

And a great St-John-Ambulance: http://sudoball.deviantart.com/art/St-John-Ambulance-Vector-Logo-208391708 by "sudoball"

galacticprobe

Apr 02, 2013, 07:53 pm #25 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 07:56 pm by galacticprobe
Mix and match? A bit of the 2005 TARDIS (PTO Sign) with a bit of the 2010 (St. John logo)? The only thing about that "sudoball" St. John logo is the inner, thin black ring; the one on the actual prop doesn't have that ring. You'll find discussions of the logo here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=806.0. And you'll find some really good reference photos if it here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1483.0, and a few here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2706.0.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

nickdclements

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 02, 2013, 07:53 pm
Mix and match?

Indeed! This is very much a composite Tardis!

Thanks for the links :)

nickdclements

Apr 03, 2013, 03:35 am #27 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2013, 03:55 am by nickdclements
This evening was quite productive!  ;D
Though the doors took f-o-r-e-v-e-r!
But they came out great!.
And they open inwards! lol  :P
20130402_223602.jpg

And I basically used both "rassilonsrod's" and "linkjrep's" suggestions on how to do it :)
20130402_223839.jpg
20130402_223850.jpg
^^ My plan was to use a wider board here, and just bolt all the way through it with longer bolts... but I forgot about that idea. >.< lol I may change/fix it later down the line. But this works for now. :)

Random tools...
20130402_223704.jpg

So! Tomorrow. I want to be painting by the end of the day! >.<
I want to take only one trip to Lowe's
No trips home.
I need to:
>do all the trim
>finish the doors (connecting the two halves together)
   >install handles
   >install lock
   >cut tin to size for plaque
   >put on plaque (after paint)
   >cut out St John's circle, an put on (after paint)
>molding trim around bottom of the top?
>make a lantern mount and mount lantern
>police box signs!
   >these for now, I'm basically going to make "frames" that can be reopen later.
I'm going to just make the signs for now printed, mounted on left over hard board. and later on I can swap them out for glass/plexiglass inserts that are 'illuminateable'

>sand/dremel off nail tips that poked through :/
>spackle
>sand!
>paint!!

>sound?

linkjrep

I got my St. John's logo from spoonflower.com that warmcanofcoke made! As soon as I find the link, I'll edit this post and put it here  :)

nickdclements

Apr 04, 2013, 08:46 pm #29 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2013, 08:49 pm by nickdclements
An awesome new invention!!
IMG_09950-2.jpg
A cloth-lined container that you place an upside down bottle of glue in, between applications!
Does not have to be made out of a Tardis, but I don't know why you would want one that wasn't ;)

Wednesday was not as successful as I had hoped, but I WILL be painting Friday night!
I only had to go to Lowe's THREE times lol >.< and was only called into work once :p

But I basically got everything done.
All the trim, which took a long time, but I had a really good rhythm down by the 4 or fifth section ;)
vlcsnap-2013-04-04-16h19m53s54.jpg

The lantern mount came out awesome! Way better than I was expecting really. and it's very simple too.
And removable.
I wasn't sure what I was going to do exactly so I just started making it, and it worked itself out! :D
Basically it's just a box that sits over the pyramid on top and then carriage bolts go through the lantern, through the box and through the roof and secure with a wingnut on the bottom of the roof!
vlcsnap-2013-04-04-16h28m53s90.jpg
[Picture pending... forgot to take one lol]

The signs are all built and are ready to go, I just need to print the "Police Box" labels to stick on.
I have them printed on paper, and was just going to use spray adhesive, but as I didn't finish them yesterday, I figured I would just print them again on label stock to make it easier.
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
20130403_232215.jpg

And again, these frames can be re opened, so in the future I can replace the "printed" signs with glass ones that can be lit up.

I also put together a 'Tardis Assembly Kit' kit to hold all the tools and bolts, washers and nuts, etc.
20130403_232412.jpg

The plaque came out pretty nice
20130403_232144.jpg

I did the St John's circle too, but I reprinted it today on a label and removed the inner black ring from the graphic...
20130403_232155.jpg

IMG_0997.JPG