May 19, 2024, 01:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Waterloo Road Box

Started by hb88banzai, Mar 05, 2013, 07:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

May 08, 2018, 02:26 pm #15 Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:27 pm by Angelus Lupus
I know! I went back and forth on them a few times before I decided that the different reflective/translucent properties just had to be because of a weird arrangement of blue/pebbled/frosted(?) panes.
I mean, I could be wrong, but if I assume that the lower centre ones on the first three (left to right on the photo) are blue..? Well, then the other ones I coloured behave the same.
The other option is that the right-hand top ones are clear rather than blue, but they looked a little too dark and reflective to my eye. But hey, if that's the reality and anyone wants they image that way, I can post that no problem!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

My all time favourite picture-

Looks even better in colour!!

Cheers,

Russell

alexcutler

Jul 26, 2022, 03:21 pm #17 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2022, 03:24 pm by alexcutler
I think the colourised photo maybe massively misleading. 

Firstly, why put a translucent water-based paint on the concrete base, rather than the same navy blue gloss for the rest of the box?  Makes no sense.  More likely the concrete base was left unpainted (and there is plenty of photographic evidence to suggest that this is not that rare).

Secondly, tinted glass was surely more expensive to source than clear glass during the 1950s/60s?  So why replace so many broken panes with tinted glass?  More likely a shadow is covering those panes (or extra light on the first two panes)-- or the backwall of the police box was painted navy blue rather than the usual cream, which has been mistakenly misinterpreted as a tinted pane of glass.  It seems far fetched to conclude that these panes were tinted when you can clearly see the open back white-bordered windows through them.

I may be wrong, and I am really not trying to diss a beautifully colourised photo, but I just think it can be misleading.

Angelus Lupus

Jul 26, 2022, 07:18 pm #18 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2022, 07:20 pm by Angelus Lupus
Quote from: alexcutler on Jul 26, 2022, 03:21 pmI think the colourised photo maybe massively misleading. 
Well, in my defense, I think this was one of my early tries, and I did ask for opinions/corrections  ;D

Quote from: alexcutler on Jul 26, 2022, 03:21 pmFirstly, why put a translucent water-based paint on the concrete base, rather than the same navy blue gloss for the rest of the box?  Makes no sense.  More likely the concrete base was left unpainted (and there is plenty of photographic evidence to suggest that this is not that rare).
In hindsight, this should have been obvious.

Quote from: alexcutler on Jul 26, 2022, 03:21 pmSecondly, tinted glass was surely more expensive to source than clear glass during the 1950s/60s?  So why replace so many broken panes with tinted glass?  More likely a shadow is covering those panes (or extra light on the first two panes)-- or the backwall of the police box was painted navy blue rather than the usual cream, which has been mistakenly misinterpreted as a tinted pane of glass.  It seems far fetched to conclude that these panes were tinted when you can clearly see the open back white-bordered windows through them.
That's a drawback to relying only on brightness to judge colours - I assumed 'dark and reflective' = similar colour to the glossy box. That, and not knowing as much about Met Box subtleties/repairs as I should (hence asking for input from the very knowledgeable folks on the forum  ;D)

Quote from: alexcutler on Jul 26, 2022, 03:21 pmI may be wrong, and I am really not trying to diss a beautifully colourised photo, but I just think it can be misleading.
Well, I never intended to claim it as 100% accurate! So, based on your suggestions, here's v2 with a plain concrete base and less blue glass (plus a couple of minor tweaks based on improvements to my technique I've learned since v1)

Waterloo_Road_Box-M1-HiResCompressed_AL2.jpg
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Andrew Harvey

That is BRILLIANT! Lovely job.

alexcutler

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Jul 26, 2022, 07:18 pmWell, in my defense, I think this was one of my early tries, and I did ask for opinions/corrections  ;D

Apologies! I think I was over-assertive where meaning just to be helpful.  Meanwhile your new version is fantastic!!  I really like it.