Apr 18, 2024, 04:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Blue Box Build 2013

Started by beaglebox, Jan 26, 2013, 12:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beaglebox

I am not new to this site, only newly registered. After weeks of reading build posts, I decided that this was a project the I could take on. A generic blue police box, not any year or episode specific, just something that would look like a Tardis for a distance. After trying to find measurements to go by, I settled on some not so accurate ones in a picture I found on-line. I have decided to try some new materials (OK- not new, but unconventional) in my build, to help the box's lifetime outside. For the inside structure, I am using 1 1/4" x 1 3/4" posts, for the wall frames (these are an odd size, but are fairly lightweight, and when screwed together, are very strong). These posts are fingerjointed pieces, that are scrap at the place I work, so, they are also cheap!!! (free) After the walls, and door frames are made, the will be covered with a thin sheet of fiberglass (yes, I mean a thin sheet of fiberglass...these come from exterior fiberglass doors, that get a cutout in them for a window (lite).  These panels are rough cut, and approx 20 inches by 64 inches, with a layer of foam between them. Strip the foam off and you get two nice panels.)  Then on top of these panels will go PVC trim pieces, to give the outside look of the panels. For these pieces I have taken five quarter PVC ( for those of you who are unfamiliar, this is poly vinyl chloride, it looks like conventional lumber, but it is like a plastic material, and works like wood { always wear a dust mask when working with these fiberglass and PVC materials...safety first} cut them lengthwise in half, and the plane them down to approximately 3/8" thickness) I don't suggest the anyone try cutting these lengthwise, because when you cut these on a table/bench saw, the blade needs to be at least as high as half the width of the board, and the safety will need to be removed, not a good idea, anytimedowload1 015.JPGdowload1 021.JPGdowload1 016.JPGdowload1 018.JPG
These pictures show the side wall frame, laid out on the work bench, and the beginnings of my two front doors (still working on the doors, and other side walls).Will post more as I get further along. 
BB/MPD

beaglebox

Just realized that the date on the camera needed to be changed. These pictures are actually from last week, and not from 2008. I have fixed the date on the camera.  Guess I should have checked this after changing the batteries.
BB/MPD

DoctorWho8

Your camera travels through time!  Nice start!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Volpone

I wasn't going to say anything. ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

brian turner

Hi,
What plans are you working off? I am looking for some plans to build an outdoor life-sized TARDIS.
Thanks for any help

Brian

kiwidoc

It looks like your experience nd equipped to make a cracking job of this - I'm looking forward to your updates!

beaglebox

It's been awhile since I've been online to post updates, and while I tended to take some time off from the build (I actually was working on some of the smaller parts and stuff) ...fall is here and I've jumped in hoping to finish my box off.  So I'm going to show some of what has been going on. download2 001.JPG  Here is the front panel, doors in place, panel cut out for the telephone.download2 002.JPG  In this angle you can see the cut out, slightly better.download2 006.JPG
this is the frame for the roof structure, next is the roof with the slope attached.download2 011.JPG from this point, the sloped areas will be covered with the fiberglass sheets cut to fit. Any gaps will be filled with lexel (it's a type of caulking that is flexible and if using the white version, is paintable, so the gap will not be noticeable)download2 012.JPGdowload1 019.JPG These are the parts, before paint to make the beacon light. This will not be a full scale light, but should look alright on the roof.dowload1 020.JPG Partially assembled, I don't think it looks to bad. You will have to wait to see it on the roof, those pictures will be coming soon.dowload1 022.JPG these are the pieces to make the windows. very thin (3/4 inch wide pieces of pvc) hot glued together to make the window frame. I will use sheets of white plastic fluorescent light diffuser material to make the "glass" portions. These will be shown later also.dowload1 024.JPG Finally, the individual pieces are together, waiting for the "glass".  As I finish this posting, all of the walls are built, need to be assembled into a box, all of the police box signs are built, just need to get them into their respective walls, the roof is finished, complete with beacon, the floor is complete, just need to place the walls on, and most of the box is painted, just need to recoat to cover the streaks that have shown through.   
With any luck, I will have more to post next week.                  Until then, don't blink........
BB/MPD

DoctorWho8

Nov 02, 2013, 03:48 pm #7 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2013, 07:07 pm by rassilonsrod
Your camera seems to think it's early 2008. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Volpone

Such are the perils of building a time machine.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.