Mar 01, 2024, 08:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kiwidoc's Console

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2013, 05:11 am #90 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 05:46 am by galacticprobe
Glen, that bottom "disc" (the red "oval" in the photo above) is an open one, not solid, so you shouldn't have any problem hiding a computer or other stuff inside (behind all of those tubes and other assorted wiring this console has on its outsides).

Here are a couple of crops from some of Kingpin's great images from the DWE. You can see the greenish lights under the console that shine up through the disc to light the panels. You can also see the multitudes of wiring that's also running up through the inside of the console:
Console(close-up-BottomLight).jpg
(I couldn't lighten it any more without the green lights flaring too much.)

Here's another one from a slightly different angle (with some added arrows for detail):
ConsoleDetail07a.jpg
The red arrows show (very roughly) the structure of the rib where it "morphs" into the leg. There is a small "shelf" that the bottom disc sits on; the red arrows are tracing its shape, and the yellow arrow is pointing to that bit of the rim that turns into the shelf. Again this is more easily seen in the "under construction" photos:

tardisconsole_diag1.jpg
(Ignore the green lines for now; they were on the photo when I found it.)
Anyway, here you can see the shelves that bud off of the rib/leg junction. You can also see that bottom disc sitting on the leg shelf, and if you look closely at the yellow arrow, it's pointing at the disc and you can just see the opening in it. It's a pretty big opening by the looks of it, but you can see how there is still plenty of room inside the disc's opening, and how the bulkheads sit on the edge of the disc. (Just above the yellow arrow is the top disc that's under the ribs and on top of the bulkheads, and while you can't see it in this photo - because it hasn't been installed yet - the identical one that's on top of the ribs is the one that sits under the base of the black and brass/gold dials structure the monitor sits on top of.)

So you can still get the structural support you need to keep your console sound, and have the room "downstairs" for your computer, lights, and any other things you can think of squeezing in that need to run up into the console from below. And now you can look at the green lines as they show that gap between the bulkhead and the rib where the corrugated tubing runs (and hides that multitude of sins that makes the console run).

I hope this helps explain that bottom disc, the bulkheads, and how they all go together a little better.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Well well, look at that!   Thanks Dino, that helps explain a few things to me.    Last night I measured up my console and I have a tentative plan for expanding it which I want to try as soon as possible-  the hard part will be taking a saw to my outer ceramic ring!  On the other hand, at least it will be easier to move when in pieces-  carrying a 6' diameter ring is not as easy as you'd think- especially if you're not 6' yourself!

kiwidoc

A small thing you might be interested in.  On a trip to the US 2 years ago I bought a few glass insulators (off power lines) at antique stores, thinking that they might end up on my console.  When i got home I noticed that some lines here have large dish style insulators sometimes so I recently contacted a lines company and asked if I could get my hands on some.  I now have seven of these lovely things and thought that it a bit overkill for my console, I'm sure to sneak a couple in, I think they are very in keeping.    They're each about the size of a dinner plate and have a heavy metal unit in the centre that seems to be concreted in?  Just thought I'd share!

-  Glenab1.jpgab2.jpgab3.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2013, 06:10 am #93 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2013, 06:10 am by galacticprobe
At that size? If you could get the metal bits off without damaging the insulator, that thing is just screaming "New style roundel!" Either that, or a master for vac-forming the center of hexel-roundels. It may not have as many ridges as the ones in the center of the hexels, but it does have the right domed shape.

Just a thought.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Console extended!

The rim now doesn't fit, I starting cutting it at a moment when I felt brave but  there will definitely be a few repairs needed to the segments created.   The first space i tried a segment in was way larger than the segment but happily it did fit in one of the other spaces.  Will be a few extensions and modifications required I suspect... :/

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 04, 2013, 05:28 am #95 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2013, 05:34 am by galacticprobe
Looks good, Glen! It also looks like you'll have the right amount of room around the top of the console for all of those bits-n-bobs that go there (like the Halsford Gear Knob, the rapier hilt, the little round green bottle, assorted hoses and their fittings) and those other things... that... I... have no idea what they really are :P.

But the console looks really well re-worked. You should be proud of that job! (I know it wasn't easy - to start or accomplish.)

Dino.

kiwidoc

Today I'm excited again, things have been going right.  Not 100% perfect or brilliant but basically as exepcted or a trifle better so I'm quite pleased.   I decided to tackle the top panesl for my console and have spent quite a bit of time trying to work out size, shape etc and have made up paper templates and examined orginal photos for hours.

I was orginally thinking to use Perspex for the panels but what I had in the garage wasn't big enough and that stuff is expensive!   What I did have in the garage was resin from my fibreglass experiments and the resin I can get herer has a rather handy greenish tint that looks quite good for the TARDIS.   I long ago put an additve in my resin that makes it 'go off' in UV light so that you can work with it for as long as you like then put it outside to cure, which it does in about 10minutes, reaching full strength in about 24 hours.

You'll see most of this in the photo essay below, but essentially, I put a tabletop down on the giant skateboard I once made for moving tardis walls around.  On this I put down some pieces of perspex and t aped over the joins.  On this I marked out the shape of the panel, then further taped out the extended shape so that there would be extra to attach under the ribs of the console.  Over these I put duct-tape in a ridge so that resign wouldn't run straight out of the shape.  I was going to use plasticine but it would have taken too much!

I then put down a layer of cling-film (several strips wide) and taped them together (omitted in later casts) and poured on my resin in the safety of my garage.  I used about 1.25 litres of resin on the panel just to get a thin covering, then wheeled it outsdie to harden.

The resin picked up a lovely cracked glass effect from the cling-film, as expected, though it also shrank back from the sides and arced a bit with the heat of the curing phase.  There were a number of cracks through the resin where it wasn't thick enough and most of these I filled and then wheeled it back out to harden further.

Long story short - it worked.  I then dropped it and broke the corner off my panel!   This was just when I was picking it up for a test fit so I was pretty frumpy at myself but had to laugh.  It turned out okay though - the broken section is barely visible and I can always glue the pieces back in if I have to.   There are a couple of pictures of the panel sitting roughly in place supported underneath by a chair, I hope you'll agree that it looks close enough to the real thing.

As I write, the third panel is out in the sun (the first 2 were made yesterday, NZ time) and I *hope* that I might have enough resin for a 4th panel.   Then the 5th can be perspex and the 6th metal grill (from somewhere??), as per the original.

It's been an interesting experiment and though many things have not been quite right, the overall effect is pretty good and I'm pleased to be getting one step further on.   I've also cut up the remaining segments for my rim and they'll all need work (and one needs an extension at both ends with new wood) but having worked out how to do it already it doens't feel ike a huge hardship, just a pain to spend a day doing that when I could be pushing forward.   Oh, and at am arket this morning I found a wee air pressure gauge exactly the right size for my demat lever housing so will replace my home-made one with it, and I also got one of those 'helping hand' units which I'd been looking out for for the last 2 years!

Cheers, Glen2013-10-05_14-02-30_560.jpg2013-10-05_14-02-34_222.jpg2013-10-05_14-12-21_247.jpg2013-10-05_14-12-33_716.jpg2013-10-05_14-25-18_970.jpg2013-10-05_14-25-29_538.jpg2013-10-05_14-25-43_753.jpg2013-10-05_14-45-24_997.jpg2013-10-05_14-45-38_881.jpg2013-10-05_16-43-13_889.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-17_435.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-17_435.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-21_936.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-28_280.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-41_371.jpg2013-10-05_16-45-54_809.jpg2013-10-05_16-49-07_65.jpg2013-10-05_16-49-16_49.jpg2013-10-05_16-49-27_113.jpg2013-10-05_16-49-49_49.jpg2013-10-05_18-15-17_428.jpg

museumdave

Interesting technique  Glen used to a really neat effect- I don't think the thought of doing that would ever have occurred to me - it seems to have turned out quite well- broken corner aside.

well done,

cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

FloppyDiskNinja

That looks really neat, also something I would never have considered.  :)

Have you thought about setting parts into it while drying?

-FDN

galacticprobe

Oct 06, 2013, 04:36 am #99 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013, 04:40 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: kiwidoc on Oct 06, 2013, 02:17 am
As I write, the third panel is out in the sun (the first 2 were made yesterday, NZ time) and I *hope* that I might have enough resin for a 4th panel.   Then the 5th can be perspex and the 6th metal grill (from somewhere??), as per the original.

Glen, going along with M.D. and FDN on this one - a technique that never occurred to me for getting that "ice sheet" look of the original panels. That was brilliant (in spite of your claim of things being "Not 100% perfect or brilliant...").

Something to keep in mind that might help you out with the panels: numbering aside, only three panels had that ice-sheet look; a fourth panel looked like two sheets of perspex/plexi with large bubble wrap sandwiched between them (this is the panel with the two little keypads on it); and the remaining panels (the fifth and sixth) were made from the perforated metal grille (one was the Trimphone panel, the other was the gyrocompass repeater panel on the side directly opposite the Trimphone and the one whose keyboard always took a beating from that rubber mallet). So just casting three panels from your resin should do fine. (If you've already made a fourth cast, remember it never hurts to have a spare!)

Anyway, those panels are brilliant-looking! And I hope I've been able to help ease your worries on whether or not you'll have enough resin. (And the color of your resin fits right in with what's running through my mind right now. Need I say what it is? ;))

Envy(tiny).jpg

Dino.

kiwidoc

Thanks guys!  Yes, I thought about setting parts in and was going to do some depressions for the glass balls in particular but the amount of resin I had meant that the layer was only a millimetre thick and if I pressed down to make a dent/shape there would be no resin there at all, just a gap!   With luck I might have a bit left in the barrel that I can scrape up to 'cement' some pieces in later like the hard drive spindles but I'd be just as happy with glue, the overall effect is good enough for me.  :)

Incidentally, a couple of them have cracks where they've bent under their own weight as I practiced setting the panels in place so I'll be doing some touch-up glueing and perhaps adding some strips of clear perspex to the rear for strength later.  :)

superrichi1a

OK you are actually a genius. Sometimes in life you try to act cool and removed but just have to put your hands up and say it ;) Wasn't sure exactly what you meant here though, are you talking about curving the panels? I was trying to figure out how you made them match the curvature of the ribs, sorry if you mentioned that, it's actually quite complex reading (and I got full marks in my English Lit IB!).
Between these pictures, and the news that the story about recovering those lost episodes was true, I am not a very happy bunny :D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

atomicgraph

thats a great way to do it glen, very clever. cling rap... brilliant!

kiwidoc

Oct 14, 2013, 02:41 am #103 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2013, 03:06 am by kiwidoc
Hi All, a bit of tinkering over the last few days has given me some photos to share.

I created the tri-lobe tripod housing thingies from some spare Dalek hemis (10cm/4" diameter") and ground off the top to create a flat profile.  I know the real ones are hollow but that would have looked silly without a central core so I plan to find some cogs or something to embellish the tops.  The 'lobes' are pieces of broomstick, the same as used to make the handles on the trim wheel assembly.   Each was flattened and profiled on my belt sander.  All attached with hotmelt glue and painted, with modelling clay to smooth over the gaps.  should look okay once dirtied up.

I also filled my garage sink with water and mixed in a little clear green modelling paint and let it slowly drain away.  This was to colour the pressure gauge housings and though a little spotty has changed their colour quite nicely so I started Completing those assemblies.

Oh, and I put my variable resistor parts together finally.  The winding wheel strut is too thin but I think I might thicken the diameter when I work out a way to create the screw effect - I wonder how Dave did his - which looks so accurate?

And as if I could resist trying them out for size...   The tri-lobes may be a fraction large but I think they're in the 'close enough' range and I'm happy with the overall effect.   I also bought some binoculars on an online auction site and HOPE that they're going to be about the right size - can't wait for them to arrive-  have been looking for some for about a year!

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg
a5.jpg
a6.jpg
a7.jpg
a8.jpg
a9.jpg
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg
b6.jpg
b7.jpg
b8.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 14, 2013, 06:21 am #104 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2013, 06:44 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: kiwidoc on Oct 14, 2013, 02:41 am
I created the tri-lobe tripod housing thingies from some spare Dalek hemis (10cm/4" diameter") and ground off the top to create a flat profile.  I know the real ones are hollow but that would have looked silly without a central core so I plan to find some cogs or something to embellish the tops.

Glen, I may be able to help a little with the tops of the Trilobe... thingies:
Trilobes01.jpg
On the upper thingy where there are two on the rib, there looks to be an old, nylon bushing or a like thing in the center. You could cut one of those out of an empty spool of solder (or a large spool of thread) and insert that into this Trilobe.

Trilobes02.jpg
I know this isn't the best photo, but it shows the lower Trilobe with what's called a "caster cup" (or "spiked furniture cup") covering it. I think I have a better photo of that Trilobe... Hang on a tick...
Trilobes03.jpg
Ah-ha, I did! This gives you a better look at the caster cup. One side of them has a smooth "cup" in it for furniture feet, and the side you're seeing in the above photo has little pointy things that anchor the furniture legs into a carpet to keep things from sliding. The points aren't really sharp, but they are poky. Depending on what size you're looking for you should be able to get some here for a reasonable price if you can't find them in a furniture or some such store: http://www.hardwarestore.com/spiked-furniture-cup-610195.aspx. Try Googling both terms for them to see if there are any in stores close to you.

Trilobes04.jpg
Here's the Trilobe thingy on the rib with the Turbine thingy. This one is covered by what looks like one of those hard drive hubs that are scattered about some of the console's panels. (You can always scratch-build one of those out of sheet styrene plastic, or wood discs if needed.)
Trilobes05.jpg
Another angle of that lone Trilobe with the hard drive hub cover. (Here it's starting to slide off.)

So that covers (BAD PUN!) all three of your Trilobe thingies so hopefully you won't have to worry about what you should put on them to make them look authentic. And as for your build of them so far, I'd say they're on par with M.D.'s. Fantastic!

I hope this is helpful.
Dino.
P. S. Envy(tiny).jpg