Apr 23, 2024, 11:15 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kiwidoc's Console

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 29, 2013, 01:40 pm #45 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2013, 01:43 pm by galacticprobe
Looking great on all accounts, Glen! Toilet paper "mush" for the coral texture? Okay; there's another one that never would have occurred to me - and it looks great (maybe it's just me, but it looks better when it's not on top of the bubble wrap).

As for the crackle - tough one to call. You may have to flip a coin on that one because they both look really good. Your rim is "Fantastic!". (And the E NVY grows, still! ;) ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

The texturing has begun in earnest.   Here is my first rib getting the mulched up wet toilet paper treatment.  It's nearly done now but it's taken about 4 hours to complete it.  Hopefully my technique will get better and faster.   It is very very wet though, I suspect it will take a week to dry.  

Was all going very well until last night when we came home to find that our little dog had eaten everything up to her height!  Trunes out dogs love flour/paste and toilet paper so the combo was irresistable!

I'm happy with the texture - will be interesting to see it painted up!DSC05184.JPGDSC05187.JPG

davidnagel

Thats very effective!

I have some cans of the original spray used to create the effect but doubt I have enough to go round a console I intend to build one day.

Can't wait till its all painted up.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

May 09, 2013, 02:34 pm #48 Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:34 pm by galacticprobe
That really does have the desired effect! That is a great texture. What are the ratios for the ingredients: amounts of tp to water to flour/paste? I'm guessing that if you get the mix wrong the results are disastrous.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Quote from: davidnagel on May 09, 2013, 12:14 pm
Thats very effective!

I have some cans of the original spray used to create the effect but doubt I have enough to go round a console I intend to build one day.

Can't wait till its all painted up.

Hi David, can you share more about this spray?   Our collective knowledge is pretty blank on this - we've accepted that Ed Thomas's team used a 'spray-on roofing insulation' on the Console room set and I thought that this was probably a big scale polyurethaning project with some guys and a truck rather than a can-based product, but if you know more please share!

Thanks, Glen

kiwidoc

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 09, 2013, 02:34 pm
That really does have the desired effect! That is a great texture. What are the ratios for the ingredients: amounts of tp to water to flour/paste? I'm guessing that if you get the mix wrong the results are disastrous.

Dino.

Hi dino - no secrets here!   I don't think there is any recipe through-  all I've done is half fill a plastic container (had to eat some ice-cream first, darn!) with warm water, mix in flour until it's looking a bit paste-y and the throw in handfuls of shredded up toilet tissue,   Tearing that stuff into little pieces is actually the most tedious part of this process.     I then mix it thoroughly with the paste, push it around with a stick to encourage it to dissolve a bit and then I scooped out a handful, tried to squeeze as much water out as possible and smeared it onto the frame.   It is amazingly wet (and messy, be sure to change clothes first!) but easy to work with.   Will be interesting to see it when it's all dry  but it's been a few days now and still looking like it's holding it's organic shape so fingers crossed...

galacticprobe

May 10, 2013, 03:30 am #51 Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:32 am by galacticprobe
Sounds simple enough (so maybe even I can handle it ;)). As to mixing the toilet paper shreds into the pasty mix, do you think one of those paint mixers that's used with an electric drill - used at a low speed - be less work than having to shred the paper by hand? Also, do you think newspaper would work as well since it all gets mulched up? (Got plenty of old papers lying about - haven't gotten them to the recycle bin yet. I did say I was moving unusually slowly. :P)

Dino.

atomicgraph

lovely build and the texture looks really good, when it dries is it brittle, or chip off easy? sorry to hear the dog got to it....

kiwidoc

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 10, 2013, 03:30 am
Sounds simple enough (so maybe even I can handle it ;)). As to mixing the toilet paper shreds into the pasty mix, do you think one of those paint mixers that's used with an electric drill - used at a low speed - be less work than having to shred the paper by hand? Also, do you think newspaper would work as well since it all gets mulched up? (Got plenty of old papers lying about - haven't gotten them to the recycle bin yet. I did say I was moving unusually slowly. :P)

Dino.

Sing a drill based paint stirrer would be fine probably, just watch the surroundings!     i tried regulars newsprint and found it held it's shape too much - looked like traditional papier-mache.   The advantage of toilet tissue is the short fibres so it breaks down and can be molded really well.   Possibly it you really mulched newsprint you'd get there but the toilet paper worked well and very quick.  FYI:  it's taken about 4 rolls for one console arm/rib/buttress.

kiwidoc

Quote from: atomicgraph on May 10, 2013, 09:17 pm
lovely build and the texture looks really good, when it dries is it brittle, or chip off easy? sorry to hear the dog got to it....

Thanks for that.  On my test piece - once dry it was completely solid and had to be snapped off the backing board to even look at a sample.  I think that being so wet, it helps it bond with the MDF which is of course soaking up the moisture too.   I'm a little worried that some cracks may appear when completely dry and parts of the knobbly texture *could* pull away from each other but I've seen no signs so far and of course paints covers a multitude of sins...

superrichi1a

Think... I think... I think I'm coming down with... Din... Dino... Dinoitus... are... dinoitus are... are y-... are you my.... are you my m... are you my mum... are you my mummENVY

Great work here Kiwidoc, brilliant to see such a nice build of this console coming together, and I was motivated to comment by how brilliant your coral texture looks! I'm sure this will turn out excellently! Perhaps you should follow the Scarfwearer Chain of Temporal Physics? Start with the console...build a couple of quick walls... just to look good on film you know.... then discreetly extend the definition of "walls" into "room"!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

May 11, 2013, 06:12 pm #56 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:12 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on May 10, 2013, 10:36 pm
Think... I think... I think I'm coming down with... Din... Dino... Dinoitus... are... dinoitus are... are y-... are you my.... are you my m... are you my mum... are you my mummENVY

Okay, dude! I'm still laughing. You really made my day!

Dino.

kiwidoc

Hi Gang, I've been on holiday for the last 7 weeks (Ireland, and yes it was a great trip, thanks!) and now that I'm home we're packing the place up because we have to vacate it for 5 weeks while they do Earthquake repairs on our place - at long last - so there won't be much TARDIS-building going on for a while yet.   Well, maybe some little things, we'll see.

As part of packing up I got my console components-in-waiting in one place so tooks some pics for you folks.   The only new things from my holiday (where I was looking out for possible TARDIS things) were the 3 hexagonal tealight candle holders which I FINALLY found in a charity thrift shop.   It was a set of three so I snapped it up and I guess I'll try to find a good spot for the extras on the console too.  Oddly enough they're fractionally different from the real console one I think (the console one appears to have a longer hollow centre than mine) though I saw the exact right thing at a B+B we stayed at but couldn't get them to sell it to me.  Also a candle holder with a rim to hold the tealight/votive candle, it also had a deeper hollow too that is perhaps capable of making it function as a small vase too.  Will pop up a few pictures of this at some point too.

Cheers, Glen

DSC00900.JPGDSC00901.JPGDSC00902.JPGDSC00903.JPGDSC00904.JPGDSC00905.JPGDSC00906.JPG

galacticprobe

Jul 07, 2013, 06:09 am #58 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2013, 06:10 am by galacticprobe
Wow, Glen! Your sextant looks like the one someone gave me as a retirement gift, and I think yours actually has more "cut-outs" in the main body than mine, making it more accurate to the actual prop.

That was a great find with those hexagonal tea light holders! And you're right; the one on the actual prop does have a "stepped" deeper hollow; the wide shallow step looks like it's for a tea light, and that narrower deeper one looks like it could be for a taper. At any road it's mainly the outside of the holder that counts. I've been looking for one of those hexagonal ones and none of the thrift/second-hand stores around me have any, and all I've ever found on extortionbay are deeply colored ones (green or blue) going for really high prices. So BRAVO on that!

I hope that earthquake damage isn't all that bad and gets repaired a little faster than they're moving at the moment. (Now, if you had your console completed and working, you could have used your Tremulator Switch to cancel out the earthquake. ;))

Glad you had fun on your trip, and even more glad that you and yours are safe and sound.

Dino.

museumdave

This is a FANTASTIC collection of bits!  I am soooooo envious of this. 

You have been very resourceful in finding these.  I am curious if your sewing machine handles and mine are close the the same dimensions- as I used my as a scaling tool for a number of parts...

So envious.... and also thinking that unless you got an exceptional deal on that gyrocompass....  well I have seen some for sale- at a cost close to the total cost of my build to-date.

Great stuff I am sure your build is going to be BRILLIANT!

thanks for sharing
Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?