Feb 29, 2024, 05:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kiwidoc's Console

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Feb 14, 2014, 06:44 am #135 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014, 06:45 am by galacticprobe
Whoa! Those are some seriously thick levers! What did you use to make them, 1/8th-inch thick aluminium strips?! And how did you manage to cut them? Your Trimphone is looking great. Love the number keypad for it. I haven't seen one like that in years!

The Envy(tiny).jpg groooows! ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Thanks Dino!   The keys are from a cash register but look quite good don't they?   The levers are Perspex/acrylic sprayed silver.  I could probably source metal but hopefully the Perspex will hold up...

galacticprobe

Feb 15, 2014, 06:13 am #137 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014, 06:17 am by galacticprobe
Perspex and silver paint... and it looks like metal! Brilliant! It really is amazing what paint can do. (A friend of mine made me a Klingon Bat'leth when we were on the same ship back in 1993. He made it out of mild steel and it looked really cool; bit rusty in places now, though). It was only after I'd gotten to visit my friends at Paramount and the 'Voyager' sets that they let me in on a little secret... the prop bat'leths - all of them - were made from wood with silver paint on them! All of that clashing metal sound was added in post-production!

Maybe sillysparrowness is right: "Everything looks better when it's covered in paint."

And I think Perspex of that thickness will hold up fine (so long as you don't kick the levers with your foot like Tennant's Doctor did!). And you've given me another method for building one of those controls to think on.

I still love that keyboard... pressed one like it many times while working for Dunkin' Donuts (Midnight to 6 AM) before I joined the Coast Guard. (And it was one of the reasons I joined the Coast Guard!)

Between you, M.D.'s, and BioDoc's builds, I'm in Envy(microbial).jpg Alley!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Little updates - hoped to more over the weekend than I did (everything takes 3x the time as I think..)

Have bought a sheet of 1mm vitex plastic sheet which will form the central column (maybe joined with double-sided tape and a few rivets for strength?), and some of the central tubes.  There is only room for 1.15 meters of central rotor (some covered the discs of course so it might look a bit stumpy if ever taken from the room it's going to live in, but we'll cope with that when and if...

Finally got some perforated metal for the 2 metal panels - it is a little small but with some judicious trims from the sides I think I can join on the off cuts and fill all the gaps.

Worked on the trim controls  and have them mostly done now, apart from the trim wheels, which I took off and tried to make new ridges with strips of (telephone cord) wire but the hot glue is not holding so I'll have to re-do them all, maybe with no-more-nails.

Pics:

[attachid]CAM00115.jpg[/attach][attachid]CAM00117.jpg[/attach]CAM00118.jpgCAM00124.jpgCAM00126.jpgCAM00127.jpg[attachid]CAM00115.jpg[/attach]CAM00127.jpg[attachid]CAM00116.jpg[/attach]CAM00118.jpgCAM00124.jpg[attachid]CAM00116.jpg[/attach]CAM00124.jpgCAM00118.jpgCAM00122.jpgCAM00125.jpgCAM00126.jpgCAM00127.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 17, 2014, 07:33 am #139 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2014, 07:35 am by galacticprobe
Amazing! All those bits, and you know where they all go to make this control. (Can we get an "exploded diagram" showing us what goes where when this one is finished? It is one of the more complex controls on the console.)

Envy(tiny).jpg

Dino.

kiwidoc

Thanks Dino.  Look like my photo upload got a bit messed up but you get the idea.  I used 7 gears/cogs and have a couple left over for console decoration.  They aren't accurate to the prop but they add some weight, tension and real worldliness to the controls I think.  Hopefully I can come up with a couple of pieces of plastic to clack as they're turned, like Dave created.   After this I hope to mount the metal and remaining fibreglass panels then look at the monitor arm, weights, and painting the outer ceramic in its crackle coat.   I'm 13 months into this build now, it's nice to be making progress again but I'll be really glad when it's (mostly) done and I can think about other things!

:)

museumdave

I LOVE what you are doing with these levers.  they look awesome, and that trim wheel is a thing of beauty.  well done.

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

kiwidoc

Thanks Dave, that means a lot from the (amazingly inventive) guy who inspired me to tackle this.   BTW, I can share two goofs, I mounted the levers at slightly wrong heights so one is always going to be in front of the other because there is no room between them... And the real things are black!  I painted mine silver think they were suppoed to be metallic then checked the pictures!  :)

galacticprobe

Feb 18, 2014, 06:22 am #143 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2014, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: kiwidoc on Feb 17, 2014, 05:50 pm
BTW, I can share two goofs, I mounted the levers at slightly wrong heights so one is always going to be in front of the other because there is no room between them... And the real things are black!  I painted mine silver think they were suppoed to be metallic then checked the pictures!  :)

Well, at some point you could always upgrade one of the levers so it's at the right height (when you're sitting around with nothing to do ;)). And you can easily repaint the levers black if their color weighs on you. Just think of the silver as the primer coat (though they do look like real metal as they are).

Dino.

kiwidoc

Feb 25, 2014, 05:42 am #144 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2014, 05:53 am by kiwidoc
Making progress.   Cutting the metal was a pain (literally, blood was involved), but very pleased with the result.  Even having to do some patches seems to look in keeping so I'm not worried about that at all.

Made new hard drive hubs from bucket lids and MDF.

Made shape of central column from my plastic and riveted it together.  That edge will be the least visible, obviously.  VERY awkward job.  Also needs some wooden discs to hold it in a true circle shape but I'll do those next week.  Adding the column definitely changes the shape of the console when looking into the console room (!) now.

Oh, and the phone is done.   Turns out I put the numbers in the wrong order, but I can live with that...

And installed the trim control levers on the console too.

Oh, and I trialed putting some green perspex on top of the spotlight under my console to see how it affected the lighting - and it worked really well, making a nice green glow that deepened the resin panels pleasingly and make the metal ones glint with green.  A picture should show below where a panel is getting half white light and half tinted.  The next trick will be to have the perspex in a place and distance from the light where it is effective but doesn't melt...    I'd also like to figure out how to make the light move a little (like the ST:TMP and Voyager warp core though not as obvious perhaps) but that will be a challenge for much later in the build.  First things first!

CAM00137.jpgCAM00138.jpgCAM00140.jpgCAM00142.jpgCAM00144.jpgCAM00145.jpgCAM00146.jpgCAM00147.jpgCAM00151.jpgCAM00153.jpgCAM00155.jpgCAM00157.jpgCAM00162.jpgCAM00166.jpgCAM00167.jpgCAM00169.jpgCAM00173.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2014, 07:04 am #145 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2014, 07:09 am by galacticprobe
You definitely nailed that color with the panels' glow! (What sort of spot are you using for the light? Normal? Compact fluorescent?) A normal (incandescent) spot will throw some serious heat and melting of your filter would be a serious concern; but a compact fluorescent would run much cooler so melting the filter wouldn't be a problem unless you rested the filter right on top of the bulb, and of course the compacts would use less electricity. (Even better, if you've got the money to spare, you could always go with one of those new LED spotlights they've come out with recently. Sure, they're a bit pricey, but they run very cool - almost no heat at all, use almost negligible amounts of electricity, and will last for close to ten years or more!)

Love the phone! (The numbers? Eh... you can always pop off the keys and rearrange them when you get bored. ;)) Also love the trilobes and the trim levers, and the new hard drive hubs... Oh, 'eck: who am I kidding?.. I love everything you've done on this console so far! One quick question on something you haven't touched on (unless I missed it): that little transducer-looking thingy with the two wires coming off of it that's under one of the perforated mesh panels; what is it and what is intended to do? (Okay, so maybe that's two quick questions.)

Gonna risk going a little larger with it this time 'cause #1, she deserves it and #2, I can't contain myself...
Envy(small).jpg

Dino.

superrichi1a

Once again, totally blown away :) Dino's right about the colour, looks really convincing! And the central column really does add another dimension to how it appears. Forgive me if I missed a note on this earlier in the build, but what are your plans for what's going inside the column? Moving or static rotor etc.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

kiwidoc

Thanks man!    Inside the column I'm hoping to do the full, moving apparatus as per TV, though it will necessarily be a bit shorter because of the low ceiling.  Only a few feet of tube will be visible once the ceramic discs go on but I have a washing machine motor that I hope to revive and make drive the column.  Somehow...

kiwidoc

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 25, 2014, 07:04 am

Love the phone! (The numbers? Eh... you can always pop off the keys and rearrange them when you get bored. ;)) Also love the trilobes and the trim levers, and the new hard drive hubs... Oh, 'eck: who am I kidding?.. I love everything you've done on this console so far! One quick question on something you haven't touched on (unless I missed it): that little transducer-looking thingy with the two wires coming off of it that's under one of the perforated mesh panels; what is it and what is intended to do? (Okay, so maybe that's two quick questions.)

Thanks again Dino, it really makes me enjoy posting updates when I can see you guys enjoying them.    The light currently is a portable work spotlight - you know the sort with long tubes, and I was planning to simply put a couple of these in because of their strength but actually, for power saving and long life and low heat the idea fo an LED spotlight  (or 6)  sounds really good - I'll have to look into that.

I don't know what a transducer is!   the thing on my console at the moment is a part I found in Dad's garage  - it's quite heavy and is a metal unit with an interesting plastic top so I thought it would fit in with this TARDIS's style when I come to the non-primary clutter.  I was assuming it to be a small motor of some sort but I genuinely have no idea right now!   I think I have another one too with a small black cap that fits over the central tube thing - must dig it out...

Cheers, Glen

galacticprobe

Feb 26, 2014, 06:29 am #149 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2014, 06:34 am by galacticprobe
Well, Glen, basically, a transducer is a device that converts a signal in one form of energy to another. A microphone is considered a transducer, as can be a speaker (acoustic transducers). I was asking because it looked like the acoustic transducers on the inside walls of the TARDIS that was in the lobby at Timegate. They were small things, but they turned the TARDIS' walls into giant resonant speakers. The sound was at the same level no matter where you were in the lobby: across the crowded, noisy floor you could hear the 'thrumming' of the console room just as if you were standing right next to the Old Girl; and when you were right next to her, you weren't deafened - the volume sounded no different! (See my post here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2884.msg54747#msg54747 on Timegate 2013, Atlanta, Georgia for more on that TARDIS and the sounds.)

I thought you might be doing something similar with your console: connecting a transducer to the underside of the metal mesh panels to turn them into resonant speakers so the sound wound appear to be coming from all over the console, not just inside it.

Dino.