Mar 01, 2024, 08:28 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kiwidoc's Console

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Thanks Dino - you're a mine of info on this console!  We're going to have to build you a few of the pieces even if you can't fit the whole thing  at home!

kiwidoc

AND, thanks to your nailing of the term I now know that a hardware store near me (supposedly) stocks the spiked furnitre cups at a price of 4 for $4 which sounds pretty good.   Will be shopping in the next few days I think.   :)  thanks Dino!

galacticprobe

Oct 15, 2013, 04:41 am #107 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
You're more than welcome, Glen! As I've said before, I aim to help out when and however I can. I did a lot of "leg work" (or would that be "click" work?) on some of the bits of this console I recognized before I got hurt, which is how I located those caster/spiked furniture cups, and noticed that "insert" on its neighboring Trilobe, and that cap on the Trilobe next to the Turbine. I got that mostly from trying to catch screen grabs from my Series 1 DVDs, as well as other photos posted randomly on the web. And it makes me feel good inside when I can take some of that info I've found and share it.

I can't take all of the credit, though. It was Kingpin's great photos of the console at the DWE that gave me a better look at that insert that made me think it looked like one of those bushings (or empty solder/thread spool pieces). And then there are people like Wayne (Venomous) and M.D. and other members too numerous to mention who helped ID other bits, like those hard drive hubs on the console panels, which looks just like the one on that last Trilobe. (I just happen to be keeping a stockpile of info like that in my 2005 Console folder where I can quickly browse thumbnails when needed.)

Like I've said before, this console is about tied with the original Brachacki Hartnell console as my #1 favorite, so watching your, M.D.'s, and BioDoctor900's come together is an awesome thrill for me - the level of detail and ingenuity being poured into the builds is astounding! And one of these days I'll throw together a mid-sized "Identity Crisis" console - bits of the 2005 and 2010 console together - as a sort of what the mid-rebuild console that we never saw in "The Eleventh Hour" might have looked like.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Hi all, an interesting few days recently while I've been out of action with a nasty bug.   I've started coating my ribs with mulched up toilet paper once again - it's a tedious job but I'm really looking forward to starting to attach things to the arms so I've finally knuckled down to it.

I've done a quickie build of the 'radiator knob' thing that sits above the Demat lever.   On closer inspection it appears to be central core with rounded sections spaced around it and a decorative tip along the outside of each spoke.  I couldn't tell how many so I assumed 6 spokes was likely and I've fabricated this was a plastic pipe (the same one for centre and outer sections) and some MDF.  It's not quite right but it's close enough for me I think until it's identified.  Will look better once dirtied down a lot!
a.jpg
b.jpg
d.jpg
n.jpg

I wanted to make the hard drive hubs and (copying Museum Dave shamelessly) I tried to find a suitable bucket but couldn't.  I ended up pouring plaster into a container and using the moulded shape as the base.  It's about the right size but perhaps looks a little 'soft' for the type of things but we'll see.   To this I have added slices of tube for the centre and MDF wedges to create the wheel effect.   Not quite finished yet - will post updates soon.

j.jpg
m.jpg

I bought some binoculars online recently and FINALLY got some that are almost 100% exactly right to this TARDIS.  I've bought some before which turned out to be tiny opera glasses but these are just right in almost every respect - I'm far too happy about this.
c.jpg
g.jpg
k.jpg
l.jpg

What else?   Oh - a while ago I bought an old "Singer" style sewing machine to strip for parts.  Doing so makes me quite sad!  I have the winder from the end which is of course a focal point on one console rib (just need to fabricate a knob for the winder) but there are lot of lovely other pieces too like the stainless steel wheel on the end.
i.jpg
f.jpg

I also made a plate for the industrial push buttons seen on a panel and though I can't find any of the right style of button to buy - I do have some water bottle caps that look quite good as a stand in for now...
h.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2013, 07:35 pm #109 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2013, 07:35 pm by galacticprobe
Love those binos, Glen! I missed out on a pair of them last year. They were in one of those "TJ Maxx"-type of stores. They were only $19.99, but with still a week to go before payday things were tight. I figured on going back once pay day came to get them, and of course when I got to the store, the binos were gone. (I thought I'd hidden them well enough behind other things, and they weren't in the best of condition; when I looked through them, they magnified things, but their alignment was way off - left eye image about a half-inch or so higher than the right, which made my eyes water - so I didn't think anyone would buy them if they found my hiding place. Boy, was I wrong!)

Great find! And I can't wait to see how your large hard drive hub turns out. Looks like you're off to a good start there.
Envy(tiny).jpg on those binos!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Oct 30, 2013, 01:51 am #110 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013, 01:54 am by kiwidoc
Little things once more, nothing near as fun as what Museum Dave is getting up to...  (ENVY!)

Tried some paint colours on the textured ribs and despite careful evaluation of swatches in-store everything is WAAaaay too pale and I'll be heading back for more samples.  I'aiming for a toasted sort of look and the original console is an amazing mash of colours, probably half a dozen main ones and heaps of detailing and highlights.  We'll see..
b3.jpg
b2.jpg
b1.jpg

I've been going flat out to try and texture all of the ribs - just half of one rib to go and then I'm done.   Can't wait to paint them up and actually start attaching things to them

Finally made up my touch light control - I tried cutting down a funnel I had at home but the plastic was so soft that when sanding it the whole thing stretched so was useless.  Bought another funnel and finally acheived this.  The dots are screw head covers from the hardware store that I've had a bag of for years...
a3.jpg
a1.jpg

Also, have given up the Hard disc hubs as not accurate enough plus one had cracked in half being plaster and quite brittle so I went shopping and spent $1.50 each on 3 bucket lids whcih should do the job nicely once I cut some struts to size.  Here is a pic of the plaster version too though.
c3.jpg
e1.jpg

I'm replacing my faux gauge on the Demat box with a real pressure gauge of the right size though of course it will be non functioning.
d2.jpg
d1.jpg

Added some black paint to a few pieces the other day and used the spare on the brush to dirty up other silver pieces so that they now look thoroughly grimy.
c2.jpg
f1.jpg

Oh, and the trimwheel on the levers control is seen here getting an undercoat of spare paint and you'll note the ridges that I've made using drips of PVA glue.  A bit rough but the easiest and most durable way I could think of to texture it!
c1.jpgg1.jpg

superrichi1a

Damn it, between you and MD you're proving that making this console in full proportions with accurate attention to detail is not an impossible feat after all! I always wrote off my excuse for myself for not trying, because I love that design too much, was that it wasn't possible, but now that safeguard is gone! :-\ Would never have the skill to do this myself of course, but still, we can all dream ;D

Anyways, everything looks fantastic as usual, I love the pressure gauge for the demat lever, and the light looks eerily realistic. Can't wait to see all the ribs textured! Well done!
I may have missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but what are your storage plans for this when finished? Just wondering ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

kiwidoc

Quote from: superrichi1a on Oct 30, 2013, 08:44 am
Damn it, between you and MD you're proving that making this console in full proportions with accurate attention to detail is not an impossible feat after all! I always wrote off my excuse for myself for not trying, because I love that design too much, was that it wasn't possible, but now that safeguard is gone! :-\ Would never have the skill to do this myself of course, but still, we can all dream ;D

Anyways, everything looks fantastic as usual, I love the pressure gauge for the demat lever, and the light looks eerily realistic. Can't wait to see all the ribs textured! Well done!
I may have missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but what are your storage plans for this when finished? Just wondering ;)

I used to feel exactly the same way - really liked the console but couldn't see how a layman could ever build it.  And then MD went and started making the most creative use of everyday things and turning them into a decent replica so my mind started ticking over and filing away ideas for how I could... and it was all downhill from there.

As for where I'm storing it - if that's an offer, I'm going to have to decline  :)      I have a spare room which my better half has agreed can turn into a console room.  It also will continue to store my shoes and papers and knick knacks (eg "Toys") but in the majority it will be a console room.  Yay!    

galacticprobe

Oct 30, 2013, 11:37 pm #113 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2013, 04:31 am by galacticprobe
Looking really great, Glen! (Those Trilobes look wonderful; that one looks exceptionally cool with the spiky caster cup on it!)

Envy(tiny).jpg

Dino.

superrichi1a

Haha don't worry it's not an offer, unless you particularly want to store it in a small Birmingham flat that has power cuts more often than not. (and I'm not that callous!)
I was thinking more along the lines of "are you planning for an MD-style gig with lights and walls or something different?"
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

the mister

Wow it's all looking super great. You've put a lot into creating the individual pieces. So much detail.

kiwidoc

Quote from: superrichi1a on Oct 31, 2013, 07:39 am
Haha don't worry it's not an offer, unless you particularly want to store it in a small Birmingham flat that has power cuts more often than not. (and I'm not that callous!)
I was thinking more along the lines of "are you planning for an MD-style gig with lights and walls or something different?"

Yes, I don't think I can resist trying to theme the room - the very least I'll set up good lighting and have some sort of nod toward a set of roundels (maybe more than a few, don't know) - after all having come so far I may as well have a proper playroom...

kiwidoc

Nov 06, 2013, 10:34 pm #117 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2013, 10:43 pm by kiwidoc
PAINT!   I've had 5 or 6 different sample pots recently and all seemed wrong.   I went back to my source photos and decided that the original console was painted quite a fleshy 'coral' colour so despite getting much dirtied and painted over over time this was the base colour.    I've bought a similar tone (I think) and though it looks awful on it's own, when I mix in other light browns it tones down nicely and gives some warmth and lightness to the browns which are otherwise too flat on their own.   Painting this beauty is going to take a while though, especially if I have to mix the colours as i go, painting a patch at a time.  Here's some pictures.

2013-11-04_20-33-35_866.jpg2013-11-04_20-32-57_925.jpg2013-11-04_20-32-53_73.jpg2013-11-04_20-32-41_189.jpg

Also, I've been looking for brass pressure gauges (to go on the arm under the variable resistor assembly) and keep getting beaten in online auctions for them.  It seems to me that for accuracy we're looking for a brass pressure gauge showing a scale of 0-25 and probably a 'bourdon' pressure reading.  I estimate a face of 10cm diameter, 12.5 across including attachment disc and about 5cm (2") height.  having been looking for weeks, I chanced across a souvenir store at the waterfront lately and found a brass clock in the right dimensions though it has a decorate rim around the glass.  With a change to the clockface and possibly removal of a hand or two, this should stand in quite nicely!  It is a basic battery clock but was selling in this store for $160, but obviously no-one was daft enough to pay that so it have come down to $29!

2013-11-04_20-33-10_800.jpg

Oh, and I haven't finished my de-mat control unit yet but I have installed a new face on the gauge and repainted the housing in one of the light grey/brown creams I'd bought for the console which actually looks spot on  - go figure!

Getting here, slowly....2013-11-02_11-09-28_429.jpg2013-11-04_20-32-10_528.jpg2013-11-04_20-32-22_133.jpg

Oh, and I went to an electronics store looking for some parts and didn't get much though I do now have 10 of these for the little panel at the top of one arm that some braided ground cable attaches to.  If only I could find some..  :)
2013-10-31_17-01-29_880.jpg

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2013, 04:53 am #118 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2013, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
Glen, great find on the clock, those banana plug terminals, and the progress!

This might help you with that flat, braided ground strap (which is what we call it in the electronics field): http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/grounding-and-lightning-protection/product-line/dx-engineering-tinned-copper-braid-assemblies?autoview=SKU&N=4294953334. Also check out these: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/grounding-and-lightning-protection/product-line/dx-engineering-tinned-copper-braid?autoview=SKU&N=4294953334.

The company's main page is here: http://www.dxengineering.com/, and I think M.D. used those on his build. Check this page of his Diary: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3155.75.#msgx38523. (You may have to read a few short posts; for some reason I can't link directly to my post recommending these.) Hopefully the company ships to NZ, but if not, or the shipping is too costly, you'll at least have some photos of the ground straps to print out and take with you to an electronics or electrical supply place and show them what you need. A home improvement place might also have it in their Electrical Aisle. (And double check with the place that has those banana plug terminals; chances are that if they have those terminals, they'll also have the straps, or know where to get some!)

Dino.

kiwidoc

Great links, Thanks Dino.    I was also looking for the red and black plugs seen prominently on the early Eccleston console but which were quickly broken off.  This started off on the panel which later featured the keypads.   I saw somrthing vaguely similar at the electronic store and they called them something like piggyback clips or similar - any idea what terms I should use  when searching online?

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 07, 2013, 04:53 am
Glen, great find on the clock, those banana plug terminals, and the progress!

This might help you with that flat, braided ground strap (which is what we call it in the electronics field): http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/grounding-and-lightning-protection/product-line/dx-engineering-tinned-copper-braid-assemblies?autoview=SKU&N=4294953334. Also check out these: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/grounding-and-lightning-protection/product-line/dx-engineering-tinned-copper-braid?autoview=SKU&N=4294953334.

The company's main page is here: http://www.dxengineering.com/, and I think M.D. used those on his build. Check this page of his Diary: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3155.75.#msgx38523. (You may have to read a few short posts; for some reason I can't link directly to my post recommending these.) Hopefully the company ships to NZ, but if not, or the shipping is too costly, you'll at least have some photos of the ground straps to print out and take with you to an electronics or electrical supply place and show them what you need. A home improvement place might also have it in their Electrical Aisle. (And double check with the place that has those banana plug terminals; chances are that if they have those terminals, they'll also have the straps, or know where to get some!)

Dino.