Mar 29, 2024, 01:42 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor's Etheric Beam Locator

Started by DoctorWho8, Jan 17, 2013, 05:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

markanthonyquested

My Etheric Beam Locators arrived today; all six of them!  (I am happy, but my bank balance is weeping!)  I also have received the magazine advertisements that I also ordered.

In reality, an Etheric Beam Locator is actually a Varian Klystron VA220 and Varian Klystron VA221.  Originally invented in the 1950s, the Varian Klystron VA220 and VA221 manufactured in the USA by Varian, and they were designed to operate in microwave relay systems.  

VA- 220, Tube VA-220; Röhre VA- 220 ID35869, Reflex Klystron

VM Tubes: 3 - Klystrons

The Museum of Technology, the Great War and WWII"

Each model came in several variants, such as VA220A, VA220B, VA220C, VA220D, VA221A, VA221B, VA221C, VA221D, etc.  The different letters represented different frequency ranges (for example, VA220A related to Frequency (mc) 7425-7750).  

Here are some photos taken by the sellers (I'll eventually take some of my own):

Advert1.jpg

Advert 1
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/Advert1.jpg

Advert2.jpg

Advert 2
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/Advert2.jpg

VA220B.jpg

Varian Klystron VA220B
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/VA220B.jpg

VA220C.jpg

Varian Klystron VA220C
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/VA220C.jpg

VA221C.jpg

VA221C
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/VA221C.jpg

VA221D.jpg

VA221D
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/VA221D.jpg

Here is a photo I found on the Internet (a clearer image):

PIC00041.jpg

VA220 or VA221
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/markanthonyquested/PIC00041.jpg

And here are some photos of The Doctor's (albeit in the background):

8408099087_fb606191d5_z.jpg

index-1.jpg

8408099511_56c1ffbfee_z-1.jpg

index-6.jpg

ssgenesis1.jpg

index-10.jpg

8409194280_25a10bb032_z-2.jpg

ssgenesis2.jpg

index-19.jpg
Yours aye!

Mark Quested
"He posts, in confusion!"

galacticprobe

Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 pm #16 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 pm by galacticprobe
Wow! Great photos of those klystrons, and there goes my theory that all of them had flat-topped discs in the middle. (But to be honest, I did like the full round look better.)

Since your bank account is weeping (I know the feeling) I won't ask how much these things cost. One thing, though... the pin configuration looks different between the red and grey models. Could you post an "end-on" photo showing how the pins are arranged on each? (As a retired electronics tech I'm always curious about these sort of things.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markanthonyquested

Yours aye!

Mark Quested

markanthonyquested

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 pm
Wow! Great photos of those klystrons, and there goes my theory that all of them had flat-topped discs in the middle. (But to be honest, I did like the full round look better.)

Since your bank account is weeping (I know the feeling) I won't ask how much these things cost. One thing, though... the pin configuration looks different between the red and grey models. Could you post an "end-on" photo showing how the pins are arranged on each? (As a retired electronics tech I'm always curious about these sort of things.)

Dino.

20130201_185350_zpsa47dd3f1.jpg

20130201_185401_zps87a3a800.jpg

In answer to your question, there are five little metal pins, two little holes without pins, and the black one is made of plastic.  The other side contains a large metal pin in the centre, same size as the black plastic pin.

Yours aye!

Mark Quested

galacticprobe

Feb 01, 2013, 08:15 pm #19 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013, 08:15 pm by galacticprobe
Another great set of photos! Thanks! Hazarding a guess, going from my knowledge of tubes/valves: the one large metal pin is most likely the plate, or the + side of the klystron. The other smaller pins are for the heater/cathode (the "-" side; sometimes the heater, a.k.a. filament and the thing inside that glows, can be separate from the cathode in which case there will be three pins for that, 2 for the heater and 1 for the cathode; if they're combined there will only be 2 pins), and the assorted Grids (control grid only if it's a triode, add a screen grid if it's a tetrode, and a suppressor grid if it's a pentode. Without a schematic diagram of this particular klystron, the number of pins would suggest a pentode (the most stable for current flow when dealing with signals, especially at high frequencies which klystrons certainly are), with an indirectly-heated cathode (separate cathode and heater). That big plastic pin in the center of the little pins is the "key" to make sure the connector only plugs in one way (note the little "nub" on one side of that plastic pin; the corresponding connector's plug would have a notch for that to fit into). Those two extra holes would be for additional grids depending on the function the klystron was needed for. (Yes; they do come in versions higher than a pentode, I just can't remember their names at the moment. I'd have to dig through my old notes for that, but that's a story for another day. ;))

So, enough of tube theory. Either of those look like they'd fit the bill for the Etheric Beam Locator; both red and grey seem to have the same pin configuration, though the red one is already painted the right color.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

Feb 01, 2013, 08:22 pm #20 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013, 08:23 pm by Scarfwearer
Just for interest, there's a wikipedia article about these things, which includes a cutaway of a similar model (V260) and description of how they work. Actually it looks like Dino's got it covered. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klystron

The end of it looks like it would plug into the tow hitch on my car. :)

Crispin

markanthonyquested

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 01, 2013, 08:15 pm

So, enough of tube theory. Either of those look like they'd fit the bill for the Etheric Beam Locator; both red and grey seem to have the same pin configuration, though the red one is already painted the right color.

Dino.

(I'll have to scan in the advertisements I purchased.)

The VA220 is red, the VA221 is green.  
Yours aye!

Mark Quested

galacticprobe

Feb 02, 2013, 06:02 am #22 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 06:06 am by galacticprobe
Ah, now that you mention it (and I've had a closer look at it) that other klystron does look greenish, sort of an olive green in those photos. No mistaking that red, though! The question running through my mind now is, how best to build one of these? Turn the main body, from wood, on a lathe and mount it to the rectangular part - an easy cut from wood - and affix that to the disc base (another wood part easily obtainable at a craft store)? Or piece it together from those close-to-the-right-sized bits of wood you can find at a craft store?

The metal pins are easy; you can find small rods at either a hobby or hardware store, and the "key" in the center can be made from a dowel and slice of a coffee stir stick. The large metal pin on the opposite end could also most likely be found at a hardware store and should be easy to cut to size with a hacksaw, and filed and burnished smooth with finer grits of sand paper.

Once you've got the bits, apply the red and black paint, then stick in the pins and, BINGO! Jed's a millionaire; you've got an Etheric Beam Locator. (Well, at least it sounds easy.)

Dino.

eddyc

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 01, 2013, 08:15 pm
Another great set of photos! Thanks! Hazarding a guess, going from my knowledge of tubes/valves: the one large metal pin is most likely the plate, or the + side of the klystron. The other smaller pins are for the heater/cathode (the "-" side; sometimes the heater, a.k.a. filament and the thing inside that glows, can be separate from the cathode in which case there will be three pins for that, 2 for the heater and 1 for the cathode; if they're combined there will only be 2 pins), and the assorted Grids (control grid only if it's a triode, add a screen grid if it's a tetrode, and a suppressor grid if it's a pentode. Without a schematic diagram of this particular klystron, the number of pins would suggest a pentode (the most stable for

Found this for you. 
The cap is the other end.

Enjoy!

VA 220 pinout.jpg

markanthonyquested

Feb 04, 2013, 09:18 am #24 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013, 10:05 am by markanthonyquested
I have originals of these datasheets, so I'll scan some.
Yours aye!

Mark Quested

Kingpin

galacticprobe

Feb 04, 2013, 04:44 pm #26 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013, 04:49 pm by galacticprobe
Very interesting connections listed in that table of "CONTACT PINS". It looks like pin 1 (labeled "Shell") is intended to connect the casing to ground/earth to prevent it from building up a charge, thereby preventing electrical shocks if someone accidentally touches the casing (not uncommon in electronic components with a large metal casing and operating with a high voltage, which is anything over 600 volts, unless IEEE has changed that). It does have a separate heater and cathode configuration, which from my experience is the most common. The "cap" I'm guessing is that large metal pin on the other side? I'm not sure what its "Reflector" label means (another term for the plate, or positive connection?). If so, with all of the other pins labeled as "Not Connected", I'd say this klystron is wired to act as some sort of huge diode: only a cathode (negative side) and plate (positive side) connected to the circuit.

I am intrigued.

Dino.

eddyc

Feb 04, 2013, 08:27 pm #27 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013, 11:44 pm by eddyc
Dino, maybe this will help,

I've added it to my build diary along with the dimension for those who want to make one.

VA-220 page 1.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 05, 2013, 04:59 am #28 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 05:04 am by galacticprobe
Eddy, yeah, I did see that in your Build Diary. It didn't help me much with the electronic aspect of it, especially where it gives the reflector voltage as a negative 1,000 Vdc, and says the "Reflector voltage must be negative with respect to the cathode by at least 20 volts." The cathode is usually the element in the tube/valve that emits the electrons (the negative charge). All I can figure is with that high of a negative voltage on the reflector (still not sure how that fits into the actual schematic diagram of this thing) it sets up the rapid back and forth current flow between the reflector and cathode to give off that microwave frequency, which in turn moves out through that waveguide (the rectangular opening in the base).

Now I've entered the guessing phase as this klystron is different than any klystron (or even magnatron or any modulator tube) that I've ever worked with. ??? (Doesn't mean that I don't want to get my fingers on one of these. Those craft stores do have wooden discs that would serve well for the base and the "fins" in the mid section. I think they also have spools for the end bits as well. And hobby or home improvement stores do have those solid silver rods that would serve well for the pins and the "reflector" on the ends.)

Dino.

markanthonyquested

Mar 04, 2013, 05:29 pm #29 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2013, 05:32 pm by markanthonyquested
The Etheric Beam Locator (Varian Klystron VA220 valve) amongst the items The Doctor takes out of his pockets during episode six of "The Talons of Weng-Chiang".

Well heavens to Betsy!  I did wonder what became of it.

Who-2_7_zpsa6c7a188.jpg
Yours aye!

Mark Quested