News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:13 scale Pertwee Box

Started by silverfox, Jan 07, 2013, 09:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfox

Jan 07, 2013, 09:58 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 10:13 pm by silverfox
Only one photo so far I'm afraid.

Made mainly of card (mountboard) with some thin plasticard for detailing on corner posts and to cover some edges.
Top beacon is made from the lid of a hay fever nasal spray bottle and the beacon posts are from cotton wool buds with the ends cut off. I did intend to use thin wire but I had real trouble cutting it. I now have some thin plastic rod I may use for a future build.

The right hand door opens. I made a hinge by sticking a long piece of wire along one edge and attached it to the base and a small pivot above the door.
I couldn't cut the windows from mountboard at this scale so I printed a set of window patterns onto thick cartridge paper from a sketch pad. I then cut all the windows out (which almost drove me mad) and glued three of them together for each window. Once covered with PVA glue for strength and then painted I backed them with the frosted plastic from a milk carton.

The whole thing was mostly stuck together with UHU power (marvellous stuff) from the pound shop and sealed with slightly diluted PVA. Texture created by a sprinkling of fine sawdust.

Painted with a Dulux match pot of "Sea Blue" and slightly weathered with black pastels which were then sealed with games Workshop "purity seal" satin varnish. I then dappled more Sea Blue to tone down the weathering as I was going for the fairly clean prop as seen in the Three Doctors and Carnival of Monsters.

Door handle was actually taken from the Aifix "Welcome Aboard" kit (you get two) and a small slice of plastic sprue for the lock.

I may change the front sign box graphic as I'm not totally happy with it.

I've never really made anything from card before as I didn't think it would be that strong but this build is remarkably solid and very light.

Any suggestions for improvement will be greatfully received and implemented on a future build!pertwee tardis_001.jpg

DoctorWho8

Looks great!  Better than some of the models they used on the show. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

acquiesce

Top work Silverfox

Keep meaning to build a model to adorn a rather empty shelf, think you may have just inspired me to have a go  :)
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

kalarcana

Very nice model.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Rick

ironageman

Improvements? The build is fine - now all it needs is a scale replica of Pertwee's laboratory at UNIT HQ...!
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

lorisarvendu

Wonderful replica of the TARDIS from my childhood!  Good to see someone else has discovered the use of milk carton plastic too.  I tried cotton-bud sticks for lamp brackets but found the paint had a tendency to flake off. I now use cut-down sections of cocktail sticks as the wood takes the paint far better.

markofrani

Lovely model! Great detailing and the right blue for that era. Wonderful!