Apr 19, 2024, 12:33 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

What shape is the glass floor?

Started by solidbronze, Jan 01, 2013, 05:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

solidbronze

Jan 01, 2013, 05:48 pm Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 11:45 pm by Scarfwearer
I've looked at the 2010 TARDIS interior on tons of pictures, from different angles; I've tried mocking it up in a 3D environment; but I cannot work out the exact shape of the glass floor piece, that the control console stands on.  Can anyone help with its shape at all?  A plan of the floor would be magnificent...

I really want to build the room in Blender, but this is confounding me.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: davidnagel on Aug 18, 2011, 03:41 pm
Is this useful to anyone?

1012.jpg

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2054.msg33114#msg33114

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-503;topic=4229.0;attach=35614;image

Here's a quote from another thread here. The answer would seem to be an irregular nonagon (9 sided) figure - if I'm counting correctly.
It would be nice to distort the image to a rectilinear form, but without any reference points it would be hard to know what distortion to apply.

From the look of these pictures: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2144.msg20721#msg20721
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-503;topic=2144.0;attach=20810;image
it looks like the points of the nonagon are at least approximately on a circle, even if they're not equidistant.

Crispin

the doctor who2

Heres an image from my question about the TARDIS floor in the Workshop section, showing the floor from above from 'rob49152',

floor.jpg

Heres the page,

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2905.0

might be of some help :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

Scarfwearer

Jan 01, 2013, 10:18 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013, 10:20 pm by Scarfwearer
Good lord! I'd completely forgotten about that topic. So yes it's a nonagon, but no the points are not even approximately on a circle.

Thanks!
Crispin

cobalt

Not sure how accurate this is to the real set, but:

gamedeck.jpg

DoctorWho8

You know, seeing the floor arrangement in B&W makes it looks like a stain-glass pattern for the space-time vortex.  That'd be sneaky if that were the case when it was designed.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jan 02, 2013, 06:01 am #6 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
Hope you don't mind, but here's Rob's drawing lightened up a bit. It shows more of the serious detail he's put into this magnificent work, especially if you open the image in a new tab/window so you can see it full size!
floor.jpg

I tried to lighten it a little more, but then it started washing out the grid lines. (And you're right, Bill; that B&W graphic of the floor would make a really good stained glass pattern for The Vortex. I've seen kits where they use clear colored-plastic "pellets" and some sort of metal framing so you can do things like this with your kids using your oven and a cookie/biscuit platter and wax/parchment paper. At least they used to have kits like that. Now the question is, if one can still find that kit, how to mix the colors? But that's a topic for another day. ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

It's actually 11 sided, I guess you missed the two really short edges ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

solidbronze

What a fantastic response! Thanks for this - I'd not seen the other thread and this will be a great help.. after an age of struggling with it..

Andrew

galacticprobe

Jan 02, 2013, 08:28 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 08:58 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 02, 2013, 08:13 am
It's actually 11 sided, I guess you missed the two really short edges ;)

It depends on which image you're looking at. The one cobalt posted does have two short sides making it eleven, and it does correlate with the "under construction" photo. The drawing in rob49152's post only has one short side, making the floor 10-sided, though this area in Rob's drawing should be "grey" as on the actual set it's a solid area:
floor-shortsides1.jpgfloor-shortsides3.jpg
                                   Rob's drawing                                        cobalt's graphic (shrunk, rotated, and darkened to show the highlight better)

floor-shortsides2.jpg
Actual area on the set showing the solid "beam" area of the short sides

So in a sense, it does indeed have eleven sides. But when you look at the above graphics and compare that area to the "under construction" photos, there is still something a little "off" on the beam layout: something with that little inside corner that I just can't quite put my finger on...
floor-shortsides4.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mechanoid

Dino, isn't it the glass overlay is just cut on a different angle?

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2013, 06:29 am #11 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 07:18 am by galacticprobe
That's what I'm trying to figure out. There is a different overlay of the glass, yes; but the area in Rob's drawing the yellow arrow is point to should be grey as in the photo of the set that part is not glass, but part of the "beam" (as shown in the under construction photo).

Also, that corner next to the stairs in the "under construction" photo shows that the trapezoidal area at that point should have a "dog leg", making it not so trapezoidal:
FloorCorner01.jpgFloorCorner02.jpg
Actual Set floor: Green arrows=glass overlay; Yellow=beam beneath           Rob's drawing: Yellow=his beam; Red dotted=how the
                                                                                                       beam "dog leg" should go

FloorCorner03.jpg                      FloorCorner04.jpg
cobolt's drawing: (Ditto remarks on Rob's drawing)        Actual Set under construction: Red arrows outline the beam, including "dog leg"

Hopefully the above illustrates what I was trying to get across about the beam in that particular corner. (The "dog leg" in that beam is just visible under the glare of the glass in the first photo above.)

Dino.

rob49152

Yes.. this is the one part I never corrected from the plans. It should be an L on the corner as you have pointed out. This has been bugging me since the construction photo above was posted.

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2013, 07:40 am #13 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 07:41 am by galacticprobe
I think the Fates plan it that way. We think we've got something all figured out, and drawn up perfectly. And then... and then...

Someone throws up a revealing photo of the actual deal and we go "Frack! I got that little bit wrong over there. Does it really matter? No. Will it bother me to death if I don't fix that nagging little detail even though it probably doesn't matter?" (A resounding "YES!" usually follows. ;))

Dino.