Apr 20, 2024, 12:07 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Request for pictures of the 8th Doctor's TARDIS key.

Started by DocEight, Aug 12, 2013, 12:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DocEight

The 800 Trekker TARDIS keys are almost impossible to find and expensive when they turn up. I would very much like clear photos of both sides of the key with a ruler for reference, if possible.

Thanks!
Seeking a classic Dalek dome.

rob49152

I bought one from 800-trekker right after the movie aired. I'll take some photos for you.

DoctorWho8

Fellow TARDIS Builder Brian Terranova has some great pictures on this thread on another board. http://whona.realtvboard.com/t6288p50-terrasolo-s-customs-reborn
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Aug 13, 2013, 05:50 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
I've got that same studded ball! I think my wife found it at an antiques place for something like $2 a few years ago.

And if you're reading this, Brian Terranova, I love that Power Crystal! (Actually, I love everything. But that crystal!) Do you have any info on how it was made (if it's one of those that you didn't make yourself)?

Overall I'd say that's one heck of a collection you've got going there. (One certainly to beEnvious(microbial).jpgof! ;) ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DocEight

Thanks for the links but I kind of need a pic of one next to a ruler for scale.

DocEight

Quote from: rob49152 on Aug 12, 2013, 05:15 am
I bought one from 800-trekker right after the movie aired. I'll take some photos for you.

Please do! I would appreciate it.

I do not know why I did not buy one when the film came out, and the 8th has since become my favorite incarnation.

rob49152

Aug 15, 2013, 06:42 am #6 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2018, 05:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Here we go.

2013-08-15 00.28.52.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 17, 2013, 05:58 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013, 06:17 am by galacticprobe
I think your best bet would be to visit every Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comic Book store and Convention you can reach. (You'll always be outbid on 'extortion'bay... 9 times out of 10.) You could keep an eye out on ebay, though. Just use their Saved Search function and you'll get an e-mail every time something with "TARDIS key" in the description is listed. The e-mail will have a photo of the listed object so you'll know right away if it's worth going to ebay for a closer look or not. If you haven't done it before, just go to eBay and do a search for TARDIS key. When the results come up, use the Star.jpgSave search link next to where it says "XXX results found for TARDIS key" at the top of the list. Your search will be saved and you'll get the notices.

It may take a while for a TREKKER key to pop up, but it does happen. But those are your best bets. (And actually, we're not supposed to engage in buying or selling on the Forum. If you know someone who has more than one of these keys hunt him down and fight him for one send him a PM to work out arrangements.) I'm also looking for one because back in 1988 when my kid was a 3-year-old unholy terror, he managed to knock mine off of its chain at a very overcrowded Creation Convention in NYC - where John Leeson, Jonathan Harris (the original Dr. Zachary Smith) and Majel Barret Roddenberry were the GsOH - and by the time I noticed my TARDIS key was missing it was way too late to try looking for it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DocEight

Aug 17, 2013, 06:45 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013, 06:47 am by artninja
My apologies, I did not mean to break the rules.

I do plan on making one if I cannot find one. McGann is my Doctor.

Has anybody built a replica TARDIS that can be opened by one of these spade keys?

DoctorWho8

I don't think anyone has managed to make a working lock with the swivel face.  I know a couple of people have done research, but kind of fizzled out after a while.

The14thDr

Oct 02, 2016, 09:06 am #10 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 09:09 am by The14thDr
Really sorry for resurrecting a 3-year-old thread, but I figured that if there was interest for this three years ago, there may still be interest for it today (plus I felt like a bit of shameless self-promotion ;D ;D.)

Quote from: DocEight on Aug 17, 2013, 06:45 am
My apologies, I did not mean to break the rules.

I do plan on making one if I cannot find one. McGann is my Doctor.

Has anybody built a replica TARDIS that can be opened by one of these spade keys?

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Aug 19, 2013, 02:06 pm
I don't think anyone has managed to make a working lock with the swivel face.  I know a couple of people have done research, but kind of fizzled out after a while.

I made a model of a TARDIS lock that can be 3D printed and operated using a spade key. However, there is one tiny design flaw: the lock could also be opened using a butter knife, or any other flat object. ::) ;D

If anyone wants to modify the model so that it can only be opened by a certain key, feel free. Here's the model: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/bMlXfce5u9P-tardis-door-lock

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"