Dear Santa, I would really like a Tardis for Christmas

Started by a_blue_box_in_oz, Dec 17, 2012, 01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

a_blue_box_in_oz

Dec 16 2012:

While the local Radio Shack opens on a Sunday here, it does not do so till 11:00am.
Which is fine because I need to make a new crown light setup.

The lamp base was readily salvaged, and there was no real damage to the paint.  (Choosing enamel now seems like a good thing)
A little more of the diamond cut acrylic was cut down to slightly less than the internal size of the crown light.
Warmed up with a heat gun (on low), it was placed over an empty spray can once it was plyable.
It's own weight did the rest and only a final gentle 'squeeze' was needed to form a semi circular lighting diffuser.

Nothing fancy, but effective:
IMG_0388.JPG

After 11:00 and a trip to the electronics shop:
Swapped out the QH globes for the new LED flat plate lights and powered up the crown light again:
IMG_0382.JPG

I actually like the shadow that occurs in the light due to the LEDS being only on one side
IMG_0383.JPGIMG_0384.JPG

The sign box was changed out as well, but did require relocation of the lamp bases as the LEDs are quite directional.
If anything, and increase in the quality of the signage sharpness was achieved as well as a complete absence of heat.
IMG_0387.JPG

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

a_blue_box_in_oz

Cheers Rassalonrod.
I bought an entire solar powered garden light fitting just to get that diffuser after seeing one lighten up in the shops.
Just wasn't meant to be....

I think the version 2 is actually better, less bling, more industrial. maybe a bit 'lighthouse', but far from 'outhouse'.

a_blue_box_in_oz

December 16, 2012

Well, that's it till Christmas eve.
The skinny doors look the part:
IMG_0374.JPG

"Skinny boys in suits" to quote Donna Noble.

BUT, add on those slightly oversize posts and to my eyes everything drops into proportion.
IMG_0377.JPG
(Or it could just be the wide screen laptop distorting the image)

IMG_0375.JPG
An acceptable level of deviation, rough handling, mismatched era's and a finished item that he is going to love.
It is currently residing in the neighbour's shed, waiting for Christmas eve to get assembled (very very quietly)

I'll post what pics i get of his Christmas morning, or if I get some good video I might just have to U tube it.
"A Dr Who - Special Christmas"

slidin_sidewayz

I am quite enjoying following your build and am looking forward to seeing your finished product video. I have to say the product so far is giving me a real "Brachaki" vibe, which fits in well with the light and the St John's logo. Good work.  ;)

mobius

It's always a matter of time...

a_blue_box_in_oz

Dec 20 2012

I've been wandering through the Tardis Builders site now that I have a little spare time...
And the  console builds have given me an idea to extend the door build a bit.

AS you have followed the build from the beginning (and I am grateful to all who posted such supportive and humorous comments  ;D )
you may remember the hallway:
IMG_0341.JPG

What I have in mind is this, Its a bit of a hash photo job but it will give you a goo idea of whats coming.
look closely at the far end...

IMG_0342XT.jpg
Thanks to all the console builders for the idea !!
Cheers.

Volpone

It's only a matter of time before you need to find a bunch of hexagonal things to stick all over the walls.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

mobius

or you could buy that roundel and column wallpaper! so tempting...

a_blue_box_in_oz

Not enough time to get the image in a wallpaper sized print, so I'm going to give the printer a little bit of a marathon.
Followed by a bit of trimming and gluing.
It will do temporarily... just for effect on Christmas day.

davidnagel

Regards
David

a_blue_box_in_oz

Dec 23 2012 - 21:11 local
So far so good  :)
Declan is none the wiser, although he is getting more excited as the day approaches.
I might be able to pull this off.
24 hours to go to the "silent assembly" assuming he is asleep.

Side note:
     He did say today that it was "really hard to wait till mum was out of bed so he and his sister could open their presents"
     This year he will have to open his present just to get anywhere near the tree'     
     It's going to be an early morning.

Best wishes to all, and your families, for the festive season.  May you all be safe and happy and have a Christmas to remember.
I think I might just have one here.
Brendan.

Rassilons Rod

Merry Christmas to you and good luck with the silent assembly!! :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

a_blue_box_in_oz

mobius

how are you going to attach it silently, drill with a silencer?