Mobius's Seige-mode TARDIS do-it-yourself 1:1 model kit

Started by mobius, Oct 22, 2014, 06:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mobius

thanks Dino, trying to upload the tiff to dA now. slow going. will also post the jpg there, and will try here, after. if that one even uploads there. the original is 14.6 x 10.737 inches, so you would need 11x17 paper, or to chop it up. I should reformat it to 8.5 x 11 shouldn't I. I should.
It's always a matter of time...

mobius

well it seems to have worked. you can see and download the massive tiff file off my dA account here:
http://j-mobius.deviantart.com/art/Seige-Mode-Tardis-Colour-574710363

I am working on an 8.5 x 11 version as a courtesy to those who may not have the ability to easily edit it down to one sheet of paper, and post that soon.
holy cow, I finished one of my three Tardis builds on this site! haha. one down, 2 to go.

update: here is the 8.5 x 11" version http://j-mobius.deviantart.com/art/Siege-Mode-Tardis-printable-kit-8-5-x-11-574714706
try it at home! post your results here! why not? :D
I'm going to make a wooden cube and glue it onto that I think.

galacticprobe

Nov 29, 2015, 09:56 am #17 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 09:58 am by galacticprobe
Wow, mobius! That's one amazing image! I don't know if I can get it posted here. As a JPG the smallest I could get the file size was 723k, which should work (should being the operative word) as the 500k limit is only placed on PNGs and GIFs. (Unfortunately the TIFF or TIF format isn't accepted in the Forum software.) But the problem might be physical size. At 4380 × 3221 pixels it might be too large for the Forum. I'll still give it a go. If it works, hopefully it will still have the great resolution that your TIFF does, but won't take as long to print.

Well, I just tried and the 4380 × 3221 pixels is just too large for the Forum. And 11 x 17 inch paper is a standard size (at least in the US), so putting the image on a jump drive and taking it to someplace like Office Depot that does printing can easily print out a JPG of that size on 11 x 17 paper - on a color laser printer so the color won't run or smudge like it would from an inkjet printer. (Even before I reduced image quality to get it down to 723k, the JPG image was only about 2.8MB, which is a lot smaller than the 56.5MB of the TIFF.

Do you have the link for the JPG version so others can get at it? (I had to do some jiggery-pokery to convert the TIFF to a JPG, and it wasn't easy!)

And thank you so much again for going through all the trouble making this and sharing it with us!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mobius

I haven't posted a jpg version anywhere yet, I can email you one if you like. you can find my email addy on my website, mobiusbandwidth.com. drop me a line and I'll pop it in the E-post for you post-haste.
   oh and thank you. 4 people have downloaded it off my dA account so far. hope to see someone's 3d results from it. I won't get to it for a bit myself.

galacticprobe

Nov 29, 2015, 07:18 pm #19 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 07:22 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: mobius on Nov 29, 2015, 05:43 pm
I haven't posted a jpg version anywhere yet, I can email you one if you like.

Thanks for the offer, mobius, but I managed to convert the TIFF to a JPG, so I've already got it in two formats: original TIFF, and the JPG. The two are very similar, and I doubt if a printer could tell the difference. (Our eyes I think have better resolution. :))

Quote from: mobius on Nov 29, 2015, 05:43 pm
oh and thank you. 4 people have downloaded it off my dA account so far. hope to see someone's 3d results from it. I won't get to it for a bit myself.

No need to thank me, my friend. I'm just helping out anyway I can. It was an idea I just threw out there so you wouldn't have to worry about shrinking the image so it would post here, and then have it pixelate when people enlarged it while printing it out. I'm sure more people will be downloading it once word spreads. If you like, I can post that link on a couple of other 'Who' sites I'm a member of. Just let me know; I won't post anything without your "OK".

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mobius

by all means share the link, thanks! we need more Timelords to fight those pesky ol' Daleks.

galacticprobe

Nov 30, 2015, 04:49 pm #21 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015, 05:03 pm by galacticprobe
Mobius, believe it or not, it's actually the same link to your DA image:

http://j-mobius.deviantart.com/art/Seige-Mode-Tardis-Colour-574710363

only I've sort of figured out a "back door". Once people get to your DA page with that image on it, they can click on the image to enlarge it, and then click on it again to enlarge it to its full size. Then all they have to do is right click, "Save Image As...", and it will save as a PNG (at 5.9MB). From there they can easily convert it to a JPG using a photo editor (like "Preview" on a Mac, or "Paint" on a PC, for example), and depending on the compression they save the JPG at, file size would be anywhere between 725kB and 2.8MB.

That way is a lot easier than my attempt to convert the TIFF to a JPG - which took a lot of jiggery-pokery! (And, mobius, of you want to copy-and-paste this into an Update, then it will always be visible; otherwise if you add any Update to this, these comments will collapse, and someone would have to click on that LittlePlus.jpg to expand the comments to find it, but first they would need to know which "+" to click on.)

I hope people find this helpful.

Dino.

bluuit

Quote from: mobius on Nov 27, 2015, 06:57 am
Quote from: bluuit on Nov 16, 2014, 02:43 am
This is fantastic work. I had to sign up so I could encourage you to finish. I'd like to use it to print off stickers and apply it to a Rubik's cube.   ;D

dunno how I missed seeing this comment, very clever idea, post a pic here when you do! holy Zarquon though, solving that one will drive you mad.

Long time coming, but here it is!  7XbXeSD.jpg

Top two are solved states, bottom two are scrambled. Look close and you see when the lines and circles are split up.

It is a bit trickier to solve than a standard Rubik's cube, but it works well!

Thanks a bunch!

galacticprobe

Dec 08, 2016, 05:46 am #23 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2016, 05:46 am by galacticprobe
Good suffering Jehoshaphat, bluuit! :o :o :o You really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? A normal Rubik's Cube is difficult enough to straighten out. Trying to straighten out a jumbled up Siege Mode TARDIS (Rubik's) Cube will drive most people into the looney bin!

Good luck with that. (You're going to need it! ;D ;D ;D)

Dino.

mobius

that is amazing! thanks for sharing, finally someone used my work! a number of people have downloaded it off of deviantart but this is the first time I've seen anyone print it out and apply it to any sort of cube. you're completely mad of course, good heavens.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: mobius on Feb 18, 2017, 06:31 pm
finally someone used my work! a number of people have downloaded it off of deviantart but this is the first time I've seen anyone print it out and apply it to any sort of cube.

I have down loaded your design, thank you too for it & I made a cube out of foam card, posted it on Diviantart & here on this site. If you have a look & let me know what you think, here is the link. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7066

Thanks again for your trouble in designing it, it was appreciated.

Chris.
Chris.

questwalnut

Hey, was browsing the site when i found this and I have to say i love it!
One thing I have to say though is that in the episode, the tardis was shrunk any way, so the siege mode of the tardis should be in fact, normal size.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Qw19307
Never wear black with colour; it makes the colour look cheap and the black look boring.

Sofia Fox

Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

The14thDr

That could easily be the case, but since nothing like that has been mentioned in the show all we would have to go on is pure conjecture, and discussions like that could run forever without ever reaching an answer. ;)

Either way, mobius' plans are still accurate to the prop we see in the show.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"