Mar 28, 2024, 08:12 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Type 52rD Escape Pod

Started by type_1012_tardis, Sep 01, 2011, 09:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

type_1012_tardis

Sep 01, 2011, 09:50 am Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 09:51 am by type_1012_tardis
The Type 52rD Escape Pod, a fusion of generic spacecraft and TARDIS technologies, parked right next to the time-traveling DeLorean and the SIDRAT (still never seen the war games).

So, some time ago, i figured that an extradimensional time-traveling hammerspace box needs an escape pod like any other good spacecraft.  As such, given the absolute lack of one in any official recorded doctor who media (to my knowledge), i decided to build one myself.  Here it is so far:

The bridge:
1.0.5 - the bridge.jpg

And the console, built using the dimensions for the season 14 console:
Console 1.0.5 - photo.jpg

End of L
Wait, would putting a Hammerspace SIDRAT inside a Hammerspace TARDIS tear a rift in the planar fabric?  I know it would in D&D, but still... still, i suppose they could technically be demiplanes... moving on.

End of Line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type_1012_tardis

hfs.JPG Good news everyone!
(yes type55, i can do that too)

I've completed my new invention, the Tot Uhr (german for Death Clock... i think).  You insert a DNA sample, set a time for anytime in the next month, and the person has a fatal heart attack at that point.  Powered by crumpled death note pages.  I know just where to put it. (throws it in cannon aimed at the sun and fires it)

On a related note, i updated the console somewhat:

Added indents on the undersides of the panel supports, and on the plinth:
Console 1.1.1 - underneath the panels.jpg

No desk for this console, due to the need for controls for the spacecraft part of the ship:
Console 1.1.1 - spacecrfat controls.jpg

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Well, some several-day old updated photos i forgot to export/upload until now:

More to the spacecraft controls.  I plan to add joysticks and many more buttons.  Also, the keyhole needs work (only required for this panel):
Console 1.1.7 - updated spaceship controls.jpg

The screen slides up from the metal part, very loosely based on the Logopolis control panel doing much the same:
Console 1.1.7 - screen 2.jpg

And a top view, with screen down:
Console 1.1.7 - top view.jpg

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Wow... these updates have been sitting idly by for over a week now... funny how i often work on the model immediately following an update, but rarely before....

Anyways, here are the relatively minor updates:

Added stuff to "control panel"
Console 1.2.5 - main panel (TT).jpg

Added 3.5" floppy drive and keyboard/mouse PS/2 ports to the front "bumper", a cartridge slot to the upper-right part of the panel, and a removable square where other stuff can be temporarily added by plugging in to a I/O slot underneath (such as the "hole" for the core of the key of time).

Not much to the ship controls, other than a floppy drive, so i also threw in the door slider as well:
Console 1.2.5 - ship controls & environment.jpg

Also added cable doors to the console, to make it easier to run cable elsewhere without dismantling the console:
Console 1.2.5 - cable doors.jpg

And this is what it usually looks like while i'm working on it:
Console 1.2.5 - exploded.jpg

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Updated this a bit over the past few hours whilst trying to repair the antivirus install on my windows xp VM.  Here it is:

The ship control panel now has the promised joysticks!  It is a non-standard control (designed to help prevent theft), where the left joystick controls the angle (up/down/left/right) and the right moves the ship up/down/left right.  The forward/backward is controlled by the mini telepathic pads built into the joystick grips, and the buttons control various functions.
Console 1.3.5 - joysticks.jpg

Also added a few sliders and dials to the TT coordinate panel:
Console 1.3.5 - TT coordinate panel.jpg

The pod (more of a ship really) can only traverse the time vortex for about 30 minutes relative time.  It then requires six hours (relative time) for the nanobots to clean the engines of the time radiation given off by the vortex.  Just because it is harmless to organic life does not mean the same for singularity-powered engines.

BTW, this is to be more of a novelty item in my TARDIS garage.  Like the TT-DeLorean, SIDRAT, Vortex Manipulator, Time Corridor, and dozens of other time-traveling transportation units, it was never intended to be used for actual travel.  But me thinks the writing staff for the unmade youtube series have other ideas... (evil laugh).

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Some updates to the ship itself this time, no progress on the console anymore (file corruption... at least i obsessively save separate files instead of saving over so i have a old model to fall back to... meh):

The control room (console not inserted yet):
ship - 1.0.8 - back.jpg

cargo hold & ramp to outside (landing supports not nessacary due to high-power magnetic field generated as a waste product by the inefficient blend of TARDIS and spacecraft tech.):
ship - 1.0.8 - cargo hold & ramp.jpg

Two other things:
1) ship can travel up to the speed of light without entering hyperspace (very rare & expensive feature, due to immense energy requirement)
2) ship runs incredibly heavily armed, with six tons of plasma for the cannons and several missiles, a Landmaster (obligatory Star Fox  reference, only ever mentioned in passing, never shown), and a ninth-dimensional vault full of handheld weaponry from various time periods and movies ("but of coarse, i forgot the combination").

End of Line

type63