Apr 18, 2024, 05:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 and on windows

Started by rasalon, Dec 10, 2012, 04:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rasalon

I am in the proces of finishing my windos on my Tennant TARDIS replica, I was wondering if anyone knows if the [wood] window dividers are tapered on the sides. I know that the door dividers are tapered on their sides and am wondering if that theme was carried to the windows? ??? I'd like to make the correction before too much progress is made

DSC_0439.JPG

kiwidoc

I don't believe there's any taper on the window bars - I've never seen any suggestion of it or heard anyone mention it.

tony farrell

I took this at last March's Official Convention in Cardiff - I hope it show up clearly that the window frame/mullions are square

Tony

myphoto (21).jpg

rasalon

As I suspected, thank you both,  I'll leave the windows the way they are and move on to the phone door.

slidin_sidewayz

Intriguing. That picture shows a horizontal spacer of some kind under the top 30mm square trim that runs along the inside edge of the door openings. That, coupled with the correct hinge types would allow the doors to open outward. Unless, of course, someone made the doors too short and that's how they filled the gap.  :P

kiwidoc

I think that's our old friend, the beveled edge of the beading/trim tricking the eye again.  I'm sure there is no spacer - what you're seeing is the lower part of the trim reflecting light at a different angle than the fatter section.

tony farrell

A view from a slightly different angle - excuse my ugly mug (any excuse to sneak in a piccie  ;D ).

What we're seeing is light bouncing off the very narrow concave quarter beading hich goes round the inside of the door frame.

Tony

myphoto (22).jpg

rasalon

And here I was trying to be anonymous :)

evil bob

Tony, you didn't by any chance whip out a measuring tape and take some dimensions of the Tardis while you were there?
;D

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 12, 2012, 08:34 am
A view from a slightly different angle - excuse my ugly mug (any excuse to sneak in a piccie  ;D ).

What we're seeing is light bouncing off the very narrow concave quarter beading hich goes round the inside of the door frame.

Tony

myphoto (22).jpg

rasalon

the size of the lock is standard, I'm sure some intrepid member can use the fancy software to infer accurate measurements by knowing the size of that lock.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2012, 05:15 am #10 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2012, 05:16 am by galacticprobe
The handle sizes were mentioned in other threads (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3115.0, and http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=611.0 - though this one talks more about sources and just a little of sizes). They could be used to extrapolate some measurements as well. Also, that St. John Ambulance logo is about 5 inches or so in diameter, so there's yet another possibility.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"