Apr 20, 2024, 12:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scarfwearer's TARDIS

Started by Scarfwearer, Apr 21, 2005, 04:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dematerialiser

Aug 17, 2005, 08:17 pm #120 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 pm by scarfwearer
 Looking great, Crispin. I especially like the 'dirt' you've added to the windows; combined with the texturing it really looks like something old and authentic.

Chris

Mark

Aug 18, 2005, 06:10 am #121 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 pm by scarfwearer
 Looks great Scarfy, the dirtying down is looking really authentic. Nice job.

Just like TG, I too am envious of your workshop (beats being outside!)

Scarfwearer

Aug 19, 2005, 05:24 pm #122 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:51 pm by scarfwearer
 It's done.
It took 2 hrs to move the TARDIS the few yards back to its usual haunt. Time travel's like that sometimes   ;).
Here it is proudly displaying the new graphics crafted by Ironageman.
done.jpg
Thanks also to Purple, Banzai and TimeGirl for advice on weathering.

Here's a "before" and "after" pair for comparison.
reroof1.jpg    done-front.jpg
A visitor looked at it and looked at the doorway the other day and asked me "so how did you get it into the shop?"
"That's easy" I said, "I just pulled the lever".
She gave me such a look...

Crispin

TG

Aug 19, 2005, 06:02 pm #123 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:51 pm by scarfwearer
 Wonderful! You must be really pleased with it
I wasn’t sure about the darkened windows but it looks great doesn’t it. The whole look is much more real police box. The new lamp makes a huge difference so does that change to the sign box. I was expecting the colour to look a lot darker than the old one but it is difficult to see true colour on a monitor.
IT LOOKS FANTASTIC
But how did you find the time to do it so quickly?
And what are you going to do with your time now?
TG

Scarfwearer

Aug 19, 2005, 08:52 pm #124 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:51 pm by scarfwearer
 I'm much happier with my box now  ;D.
It does look quite a bit darker, but for some reason it seems to be hard to get a photo that really captures the look.
done-angle.jpg
The family have all commented that it looks bigger - which I think is because it's darker.
I suppose the paint job has taken just over a week, and the whole upgrade about 5 weeks, though not that many hours during that time - usually just a couple of hours in the evening after dinner on some nights and some time at the weekends.

Of course, this is all Purple's fault - his new box is looking so good I felt inspired to 'unmodernize' mine a bit.

What next? Catch up on all the household projects I've been ignoring for five weeks...

Crispin

cyberleader1991

Aug 19, 2005, 10:49 pm #125 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:52 pm by scarfwearer
  ??? It looks like a totally different box! Have you checked the console room? It may have mysteriously 'regenerated' too...!   :D

purpleblancmange

Aug 20, 2005, 07:56 am #126 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:52 pm by scarfwearer
 Crispin,

That revamp is looking absolutely perfect and seems such a world away from its original guise, I hope you´re really pleased with the results, you should be - it´s amazing!

Right then, I´m going to have to concede to defeat, you beat me to the finish line - damn this move - I must say, seeing what you´ve done makes me all the more impatient to get back to the final stages of mine. Pity, Ines won´t allow me to bring it into the house - it would have looked so nice in the conservatory. I´m thinking of starting a petition.

You say the pictures do the real thing no justice, I´ve had the same problem, but even so, it looks stunning and as I´m sat here, all I can do is smile at the fruits of your hard work. Well done that man!

hb88banzai

Aug 20, 2005, 08:08 pm #127 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:52 pm by scarfwearer
 Positively BRILLIANT!

Looked good before, Crispin, but now it looks absolutely stunning.

As an aside, I learned a long time ago that darkened windows actually add a bit of dimensionality to things (as do fully lit ones ala the new series). Adds a sense of mystery that is kinda cool as well.

Again, just brilliant! 

Scarfwearer

Aug 21, 2005, 04:03 am #128 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:53 pm by scarfwearer
 I'd definitely characterize my before and after pictures as "before the guilds" and "after the guilds", as I've learned a lot online in the last five years since that first cold night in the garage.

The plan was to do the repaint in September in parallel with Purple, but the scheduling hasn't worked out - I've had more time recently than I will then. We've overlapped some though. Anyway, the best things in life shouldn't be hurried...

It'll be great to see more progress on everyone else's builds and revamps and I hope others feel inspired to start builds and share some pictures of the thrills and spills - it's lots of fun.

Crispin

kiwidoc

Aug 21, 2005, 08:53 am #129 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:53 pm by scarfwearer

Quote:
QuoteI'd definitely characterize my before and after pictures as "before the guilds" and "after the guilds",

It'll be great to see more progress on everyone else's builds and revamps and I hope others feel inspired to start builds and share some pictures of the thrills and spills - it's lots of fun.

Crispin

Amen to that, these communites are great. Crispin, your box is looking absolutely fantastic (i really like the new signs and boxing design by the way) - my box is now begging for a textured makeover...

:)  glen

Mark

Aug 21, 2005, 01:17 pm #130 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:53 pm by scarfwearer
 I agree Glen.

What never fails to amaze me is that despite being a site concerned mainly with a certain blue box, how many variety of build, designs and construction methods there are.

What also amazes me is that you can build a box, and then later on when you've some free time you can improve or alter it (as per Scarfy) and you have a brand new TARDIS!

Brilliant.

Scarfwearer

Aug 22, 2005, 09:26 pm #131 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:54 pm by scarfwearer

Quote:
QuoteI got the lamp from Benson's Import, item #2101. The lens itself is 6" diameter and 5" tall and made of glass. Here's the page with the lamps.
I bought the whole lamp because I wanted one anyway. I've a request in to them to find out whether they can get the lens separately - they should be getting back to me soon. They've been very helpful.

Crispin

I got an answer back from Benson's today: unfortunately they can't get the lens separately from their supplier, so I guess I'll have to find a different lens for my new anchor lamp undecided.gif. The oil lamp in it already has a chimney, so it will work just fine without the fresnel.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Aug 27, 2005, 06:58 pm #132 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2012, 12:20 am by Scarfwearer
I've had this picture as my screen backdrop for the last week.

inside-windows.jpg

Crispin

TG

Aug 27, 2005, 09:21 pm #133 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:55 pm by scarfwearer
 I think it looks great Crispin
Makes you wonder what strange planet will be beyond the doors…

TG

showstopper

Aug 30, 2005, 01:37 am #134 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 11:55 pm by scarfwearer
 nice verry atmospheric i like the windows reminds me of the inside tardis doors of the new series