New, New TardisBuilders!

Dematerialiser's Tardis

Started by Dematerialiser, Feb 10, 2009, 09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dematerialiser

Feb 10, 2009, 09:35 am Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 07:36 pm by scarfwearer
Hi all

A brief introduction to my build diary.

I started this build way back in September 2005. Well, when I say 'I' what I really mean is 'me and the other guy with the woodworking skills'. I initially paid a cabinet maker to do the bulk of the build - but this resulted in years of pushing a car uphill (2 inches at a time) to get the smallest of things done. It was frustrating because I knew I had the skill but not the space, time or tools. Later I got all three of these precious things, as you will see, and rebuilt several major components of the original due to shoddy workmanship. So, I guess this is a warning to anyone who's planning on employing someone to build you a Tardis - in the long run it's probably better to get some basic equipment and have a go - it's a lot easier than most people think!

Another note: the dates of all these posts are inaccurate because I'm migrating my diary to this new board from another Tardis building board. Therefore, the date I'm manually pasting into each post is the date I originally posted on the other board.

Also, I've omitted responses by members of the other board (apart from those who are members here already), just because it would be impolite at best to 'borrow' the content from another board without asking - and I don't have the time to contact 100+ people unfortunately!

The other board was a favourite of mine and the members were helpful and supportive, but in recent months there's been less activity from prop-builders; and with the board being locked to guests there's a good chance that no-one would ever see those few props that were being showcased.

I like boards like this to stay relevant to building Tardises, inside and out (and other closely related props) and not become overshadowed by off-topic subjects or other issues, which is another reason for posting my diary from the other board here.

Hope you like my build diary  :)

cheers,
Chris

Dematerialiser

Oct 12, 2009, 07:38 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 07:37 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Jon

Thanks again for your comments  :) As we have a few days without rain for a change (at least, if you can trust the forecast...) I'm about to take the cover off again. One person can do it fairly easily, unlike the giant tarp I had on it before.

I would think they would ship a Tardis cover - the only issue I had, when I discussed the cover with the top guy there, was the measuring-up. With bikes, cars etc, they have the patterns on-file which means that they usually don't need to measure the object. I initially gave them my own measurements for my build, but because it's a bespoke object with natural variances (and largely because the shape is tricky - mainly the sloped roof..) they preferred to visit to measure-up for me. I thought this was a good idea because if the final cover didn't fit I didn't want my own measurements to be at fault. But - if you measured to the mm and gave the roof incline etc, they might agree to make and ship it out to you. Hope so! It's a great investment if the build will be outdoors  :)

cheers
Chris